Are carry on bags searched?

xCajunGurlx

Are all bags checked before boarding a cruise? Also who checks our carry ons? Is every single carry on opened and checked before we are allowed to board the boat? I remember the last time we cruised input little locks on our bags because I didn't want people to open them up and dig in my belongings.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Security can and does ask you to open bags if you are carrying on sodas, wine, etc. in Baltimore. They requested us to open our own bags. The security people asked us to move our stuff around so they could see inside. They did not touch our belongings other than the soda. My sodas were not in a refrigerator pack. Other people who brought the refrigerator packs had to open them so the cans could be check individually.

Okay. I just don't want someone rummaging through my things. R

They don't automatically do that but it is entirely possible that your things will be rummaged through.

When I bring my wine on I always put the two bottles and two plastic wine glasses in a little gift type bag and put it through the scanner like that. they can see what it is and don't have to touch it/

Yep, your stuff gets searched just like at the airport but you don't have to take your shoes off and you don't have to go through that horrible millimeter scanner thingy. The lines usually move faster also. But just like flying, you can't bring on weapons or anything of the sort. You also have to bring any carryon soda, water, wine, etc on thru the passenger screening checkpoint for inspection.

I had a bottle of wine in my bookbag. They scanned it but never said a word. I was like huh

You are allowed two 750ml bottles (1 per person), so it would not perk their interest. We always carry on these and only had them brought out and questioned in Galveston.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

you put it through a scanner just like an airport. On my cruise on the magic, they thought they saw something weird. so the pulled me to the back and asked if they could search my bag. sure. I have nothing to hide. she is searching and searching (while im pretty much laughing), she called a different person to search and she went back to screen (since she couldn't find anything lol), what was she seeing? my car keys :rolleyes:. the other agent called her an idiot and told me to have a great vacation lmao

You do realize that the cruise ticket contract allows the cruise line to search your luggage and cabin at any time, with or without your presence?

Think airport! Anything you would expect at an airport you can expect at the cruise terminal. Your carry ons will be x-rayed as will your checked luggage and if they find anything suspicious they can and probably will search your bags. There's nothing much you can really do about it. Yeah I mean it kinda sucks. I feel your pain. I had TSA rummage through my luggage and absolutely ransack my stuff and left everything wrinkly and crappy looking and I wasn't thrilled since I packed my stuff so neat because I wanted to look nice when we got to vacation but there's absolutely nothing you can do about it.

You are allowed two 750ml bottles (1 per person), so it would not perk their interest. We always carry on these and only had them brought out and questioned in Galveston.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

When you say each passenger is allowed a 750ml bottle. Must it be wine, or can you bring on a 750ml bottle of rum or vodka?

thanks

It must be wine. No liquor is allowed...

Just to clarify; it must be a wine bottle, they don't sample the contents. :cool: (I've taken pairs of 500ml boxes and also 187ml mini wine bottles with no trouble too)

They will also allow a bottle of champagne in lieu of wine.

Correct. Also, I've had no issues bringing champagne splits; four 187ml bottles is the equivalent of one 750ml bottle. By "no issues" I mean I've had security open the carryon containing them in plain view and passed them through.

Edited by dd2355

I want to know what CajunGurl is hiding:eek::D

AZmike480

Edited by AZmike480

Okay so let's crowdsource ideas for "what item to put in your bags that'd embarrass a security guy the most"... :cool:

I have a few things in mind but Im sure as heck not putting them in writing.

My thoughts embarrass me just thinking them.

lol, a few years ago we went on a family group cruise, we snuck a double ended item in my adult and married sisters bag, she had no idea it was in there till they had her open her bag and she pulled it out, funniest moment of my life.