Ketchikan 7am - 12:30 pm

kellanrevere

We will be in Ketchikan on the Golden Princess on July 3rd. 7am till 12:30 pm (noon) seems like really odd hours. We have been a couple of times already but are cruising with 6 friends who have not. Will ANYTHING be opened that early ?

Thanks

Kelly

There will be a total if 5 ships in port by that day , that's why I worried about things being opened early. If they are going to be that busy would our ship matter !

Wuggly19, after visiting Ketchikan 3 times in the past, even though it is a cute town, IMHO, if we had to get short changed by time , I'm glad it is here vs Juneau or Skagway. We usually just stay close to town and shop. Might go out fishing this time since it is so early, though.

27 of ya, huh ?

Kelly

We will be in Ketchikan on the Golden Princess on July 3rd. 7am till 12:30 pm (noon) seems like really odd hours. We have been a couple of times already but are cruising with 6 friends who have not. Will ANYTHING be opened that early ?

Yes, town wakes up to suit the cruise ships. Watch the view from our balcony here:

I'm sure Princess will only offer excursions that will suit your timetable, if you choose to go that route.

Where do you find out how many ships will be in port on a given day? We're not doing an excursion here, just wandering the streets so I wasn't planning to rush, but its a short stop and if very crowded, I might want to get up and get moving early!!

Where do you find out how many ships will be in port on a given day? We're not doing an excursion here, just wandering the streets so I wasn't planning to rush, but its a short stop and if very crowded, I might want to get up and get moving early!!

The downtown area is crowded.

There was a recent post with the schedule link.

I agree - of the 3, this is my least favorite port.

For me, it's not really about the port, it's about the excursion opportunities around the port, and it can be tough to make certain spots work with the limited time in Ketchikan. Last time we did a (boat out, floatplane back) excursion to Misty Fjords, and due to bad weather the planes couldn't fly. Our boat had to turn around halfway to Misty Fjords and maintain good speed just to get the NCL folks back by 12:15 and us back by 12:30.

Sadly, Ketchikan's location means it's always going to be on one end or the other regardless of routing. The one-way cruises are most likely dependent on tides through Seymour Narrows, and the Seattle round-trips (possibly Vancouver RTs as well) depend on the return side of the journey to make a Skagway-Victoria transit work.

http://ports.cruisett.com/schedule/

Just click on that port you want, the Alaska list is the first row, then chose the month.

Ketchikan is a very nice port for just strolling around.

Enjoy!

For me, it's not really about the port, it's about the excursion opportunities around the port, and it can be tough to make certain spots work with the limited time in Ketchikan. Last time we did a (boat out, floatplane back) excursion to Misty Fjords, and due to bad weather the planes couldn't fly. Our boat had to turn around halfway to Misty Fjords and maintain good speed just to get the NCL folks back by 12:15 and us back by 12:30.

Sadly, Ketchikan's location means it's always going to be on one end or the other regardless of routing. The one-way cruises are most likely dependent on tides through Seymour Narrows, and the Seattle round-trips (possibly Vancouver RTs as well) depend on the return side of the journey to make a Skagway-Victoria transit work.

Well I agree. I just haven't been overly thrilled about the excursions offered in Ketchikan. I have done a ton of them and if I miss this port, it would not be a loss as none of the excursions I have done here have wowed me.

http://www.claalaska.com/schedules.html

This site has Alaska port schedules.