Royal Caribbean's Plan to attract new cruisers

Coralc

You mean like the ones that guided Enron, Kodak, Blockbuster, and Borders?

All those companies had strategies on getting bigger and gaining new customers. None exist today. So much for the experts.

Working for a Fortune 500 company here...one thing we know is ticking off your long time customers is a bad business choice. You don't need a Wall Street suit or MBA in business to appreciate that fact. It's universally considered the formula for failure if executed and not corrected quickly.

and glad your not my financial analyst. All four examples you give are how can I say this....terrible examples, totally different profit margins, businesses, etc, etc, etc......As far as a business choice for RCL,well it's brilliant really.......K.O. Edited by Thetrail

I'm not surprised by the move to China, even though I was looking forward to the Quantum. On several of my past cruises out of FLL, there was a significant amount of passengers from other countries than the US. When on the Oasis, almost half the ship was Chinese. They actually made announcements in Chinese and the dining room servers would sing in English first then again in Chinese. While I like the diversity and meeting people from other countries, it seems like fewer and fewer Americans are cruising. If all those people are paying international flights and the premium prices for Oasis, why wouldn't they put a ship there.

So I'm here in Taiwan and attended a meeting today with a group from obviously Taiwan, but also from China and Hong kong who are in the shipping business. We got talking about cruising and that Royal is sending a new ship to Asia, yadda, yadda, yadda. I have to say I didn't expect the response I heard. They were perplexed and although two had cruised before, they said no one in China wants to cruise in Asia. That they have awful ports and couldn't understand why Royal would want to send one of their biggest and newest ships here. They said, most from Asia want the beautiful beaches and prefer to fly to Florida and sail the Caribbean and started to ask me my favorite Caribbean ports.

I told them what Adam said about Chinese being shoppers and gamblers. They did acknowledge Asians like to shop but disagreed about being gamblers. They said like most others, they want a warm beautiful beach that the Caribbean holds. They do not think Royal will be successful.

They also discussed how the South Korea and Malaysia tragedy's may keep Asians far from any water vacations.

Not commenting just sharing a discussion from yesterday.

I'm not surprised by the move to China, even though I was looking forward to the Quantum. On several of my past cruises out of FLL, there was a significant amount of passengers from other countries than the US. When on the Oasis, almost half the ship was Chinese. They actually made announcements in Chinese and the dining room servers would sing in English first then again in Chinese. While I like the diversity and meeting people from other countries, it seems like fewer and fewer Americans are cruising....

It may seem that way but I don't think that statistics would back you up. It isn't that fewer Americans are cruising but rather that more and more people from other regions of the world have discovered the attractiveness of a cruise vacation. For all the dismay being shown on these boards, RCI still has far more of their ships sailing from the US than from anywhere else in the world and the US still produces more cruise passengers than the rest of the world. CLIA statistics continue to show growth in the US cruise market and if you look at the numbers from say a decade ago, the growth rate has been rather spectacular. Whether we like it or not, RCI and other lines would be sorely remiss if they ignored emerging markets and didn't target them in their future deployments.

So I'm here in Taiwan and attended a meeting today with a group from obviously Taiwan, but also from China and Hong kong who are in the shipping business. We got talking about cruising and that Royal is sending a new ship to Asia, yadda, yadda, yadda. I have to say I didn't expect the response I heard. They were perplexed and although two had cruised before, they said no one in China wants to cruise in Asia. That they have awful ports and couldn't understand why Royal would want to send one of their biggest and newest ships here. They said, most from Asia want the beautiful beaches and prefer to fly to Florida and sail the Caribbean and started to ask me my favorite Caribbean ports.

I told them what Adam said about Chinese being shoppers and gamblers. They did acknowledge Asians like to shop but disagreed about being gamblers. They said like most others, they want a warm beautiful beach that the Caribbean holds. They do not think Royal will be successful.

They also discussed how the South Korea and Malaysia tragedy's may keep Asians far from any water vacations.

Not commenting just sharing a discussion from yesterday.

The numbers don't lie. Gambling revenue skyrockets on ships based out of Asia, shopping revenue skyrockets and the ships are always full - often with charters which is even more money for Royal. And when you look at the demographics, the passengers are overwhelmingly Chinese.

I think this is a great business move. Royal saw great success with the Legend and now with Mariner and Voyager.

When did 'Adam' call them gamblers? I think you maybe spinning this a little given your previous comments.

This interview from Adam, I don't know, it just felt like a knife into the hearts of his loyal Americans. He didn't say he doesn't love us anymore, but he sure insinuated he loves those Chinese and wants to make sure they get their noodles, Chinese comics and whatever it takes to get them to shop.

I just felt like we Americans aren't shopping enough on his ships.

Just my humble opinion, but that is how I felt watching this.

Not sure if it's calling them gamblers, but he did say they "are interested in gaming".

Yes, after he was asked if they liked gambling but he kind of downplayed that and stressed they like shopping. That doesn't suggest he believes they're gamblers. I'm not suggesting they're not and I totally understand how words get twisted and/or exaggerated on public forums. :D

So I'm here in Taiwan and attended a meeting today with a group from obviously Taiwan, but also from China and Hong kong who are in the shipping business. They were perplexed and although two had cruised before, they said no one in China wants to cruise in Asia. That they have awful ports and couldn't understand why Royal would want to send one of their biggest and newest ships here. They said, most from Asia want the beautiful beaches and prefer to fly to Florida and sail the Caribbean and started to ask me my favorite Caribbean ports.

Wow, this is a fascinating perspective. Wouldn't it be a kick in the pants for RCI to totally misjudge current Asian sensibilities and have their big new ship limp back to the U.S. market with its rudder between its legs? :D

In the interview I saw with Goldstein on CBS, I think the interviewer mentioned gambling, and Goldstein downplayed it in a coy, almost embarrassed way, which implied to me that it probably was in the mix, but he knew it would be crass to admit it.

And it doesn't surprise me that ordinary Asians would also want to downplay gambling's popularity, because it's not generally considered a positive pastime. Substitute "drinking" for "gambling." What country would boast that its people are heavy drinkers? Same deal. But love of shopping is OK.

Wow, this is a fascinating perspective. Wouldn't it be a kick in the pants for RCI to totally misjudge current Asian sensibilities and have their big new ship limp back to the U.S. market with its rudder between its legs? :D

In the interview I saw with Goldstein on CBS, I think the interviewer mentioned gambling, and Goldstein downplayed it in a coy, almost embarrassed way, which implied to me that it probably was in the mix, but he knew it would be crass to admit it.

And it doesn't surprise me that ordinary Asians would also want to downplay gambling's popularity, because it's not generally considered a positive pastime. Substitute "drinking" for "gambling." What country would boast that its people are heavy drinkers? Same deal. But love of shopping is OK.

You mean like when they sent Mariner over to California.... for a rest.