Bathroom Attendants

HappyTvlr

A bit of a random topic, but I just read a cruise review and it was mentioned. On a Dec 2012 cruise through the Panama Canal my husband always came back from the restroom just off the MDR laughing because the attendant was a funny guy. The ladies room had no attendant. Well, on our Oct 2013 South Pacific cruise there were attendants in both ladies and men's rooms. At first I thought it was nice to have the room kept tidy at all times, but after a couple of days it was annoying. She was lovely and doing a great job, but it was just too personal and she even got to the point of greeting or parting with some passengers with a hug. I've been cruising with Celebrity for a few years now, and I never had a problem with the restrooms not being tidy even without the attendants. It is a personal opinion, but with all the cutbacks that are being mentioned I hope the attendants are retained but trained for other more useful jobs.

Edited by HappyTvlr

A bit of a random topic, but I just read a cruise review and it was mentioned. On a Dec 2012 cruise through the Panama Canal my husband always came back from the restroom just off the MDR laughing because the attendant was a funny guy. The ladies room had no attendant. Well, on our Oct 2013 South Pacific cruise there were attendants in both ladies and men's rooms. At first I thought it was nice to have the room kept tidy at all times, but after a couple of days it was annoying. She was lovely and doing a great job, but it was just too personal and she even got to the point of greeting or parting with some passengers with a hug. I've been cruising with Celebrity for a few years now, and I never had a problem with the restrooms not being tidy even without the attendants. It is a personal opinion, but with all the cutbacks that are being mentioned I hope the attendants are retained but trained for other more useful jobs.
In discussing this unusual post, neither of us can recall ever having seen an attendant stationed in a cruise ship's public restroom.

Crew members come in to clean the restrooms and then they leave. Whenever we have seen them in there, they were working.

Neither of us has ever been hugged in a restroom by any ship employee of either gender. That would be strange, even somewhat creepy. I hope you reported the incident.

This is not an area where I would want to see any cost cutbacks as I believe it is very important to keep public restrooms clean.

Edited by fleckle

I experienced a very friendly bathroom attendant on our Feb Eclipse cruise! We were in code red, so not sure if she was stationed there to encourage hand washing (outside main DR)- but when I came out of the stall, I washed my hands then proceeded to do a nail repair (I was sporting those silly press on nails). It would've taken me but 30 seconds to do my fix, but this delightful young lady, who was trained in nail esthetics, jumped in to help me! Fifteen minutes later...... :D

I've definitely seen them in the ladies room, opening the door for me, handing me a towel to dry my hands, etc. But I thought they were just there doing their regular cleaning and hanging out for a bit-not like they were there for an 8 hour shift!

I have never seen a restroom attendant either. Are you sure that this was a Celebrity crew member and now a weird passenger?

On Eclipse Jan.25 trip the restrooms all had attendants cleaing & folding handtowels. didn't see that much at all on Cunard. I think it added a nice touch of service. Could also be part of the keeping Norovirus at bay.

On my March sailing of the Reflection, I "bumped" into women cleaning the MDR bathroom the two times I used it during dinner service. They didn't strike me as attendants; I actually just thought I happened to time my visit with when they happened to be there cleaning. One handed me a towel in a casual way, the other pretty much ignored me as she wiped down the sink.

Seems like a waste of manpower....er, woman power.

I had fun talking to the attendant in the ladies room on Deck 10 near the Oceanside Cafe. I happened to use this restroom a lot on our cruise on Connie for spring break. I guess I just like to acknowledge the presence of another human being and so I started the conversation with her one day...she was cleaning and I was washing my hands. And from that point forward, we could have a nice and simple greeting and interaction whenever we crossed paths.

I saw her in the ladies room and also on the pool deck...of all places. I'm not sure that she was considered an attendant so much as she was the one responsible for keeping the room clean.

I have often seen attendants posted in the ladies restrooms, particularly those outside the buffet. They usually open the door for you after you have washed your hands. On my last cruise the same attendant was in the restroom almost every day. I always hope that their presence will encourage all women to wash their hands!

We were on Equinox last Oct.,and there was a bathroom attendant in the ladies room outside of the MDR. She always greeted everyone with, "Welcome to my bathroom". The first time I heard it, I had to hide my giggle, but after a few more times, I found it to be a friendly greeting.

We were on Equinox last Oct.,and there was a bathroom attendant in the ladies room outside of the MDR. She always greeted everyone with, "Welcome to my bathroom". The first time I heard it, I had to hide my giggle, but after a few more times, I found it to be a friendly greeting.
Well okay then, I guess I need to amend my previous reply.

If they are in there to clean the restroom, then I stand by my earlier statement that this should not be an area for cost cutbacks.

But if they are only hanging around in there to greet you and hand you a towel, then this would be a good place for cost cutbacks.

Furthermore, anyone who is hanging around in there to hug the passengers definitely needs to be assigned something else to do instead. ;)

Every cruise I've been on (and I've only ever sailed Celebrity) there has been an attendant in the ladies room somewhere - mostly I have seen them in the bathroom by the MDR and the Ensemble Lounge. I believe their responsibilities were to keep the restroom clean but they also "hung out" helping people with towels or whatever and just constantly wiping the sinks. Always very friendly.

If they are in there to clean the restroom, then I stand by my earlier statement that this should not be an area for cost cutbacks.

But if they are only hanging around in there to greet you and hand you a towel, then this would be a good place for cost cutbacks.

Furthermore, anyone who is hanging around in there to hug the passengers definitely needs to be assigned something else to do instead. ;)

Well,if it's Brad Pitt,I'll take the hug!

It is not a job I would necessarily expire to do but on every cruise especially at dinner time there is always an Attendent in the Men's room. I find myself tipping them on the last day because they are always cordial, respectful and I feel sorry for them being stuck in there for hours.

The position is officially called Cleaner which is a starting position on a Cruise Ship.

Edited by spencerdrivecruiser

I don't think it's fair to accuse the restroom attendants of hanging around. I would think that they're simply be waiting for a time when nobody is using the facilities so they can unobtrusively remove accumulated trash and used linens. Nobody wants to see that but it needs to get done. I really appreciate that Celebrity keeps their public restrooms sparkly.

I would suspect that any crew that has "bathroom" duties, is on a rotating schedule. They probably work in many other areas of the ship also. As passengers, we really don't know if "behind the scenes" crew have been cut at this point. I'm sure Celebrity has assessed all areas of productivity.

There was a bathroom attendant in the ladies room off the MDR on the Equinox every time I went in there on a TA last fall. Each one was very pleasant with a greeting, yet unobtrusive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

On both of our TAs, there have been attendants in the women's room near the MDR in the evenings, and I think possibly the one near the theatre as well. I think it's great that Celebrity keeps up the cleaning/towel inventory in what are perhaps the most used public restrooms at peak times.

The attendants have always been extremely pleasant people; I would expect nothing less.

She was lovely and doing a great job, but it was just too personal and she even got to the point of greeting or parting with some passengers with a hug.

A staff member hugging someone unsolicited to say hi or bye in any situation is just weird, but I would be incredibly uncomfortable if I got a hug for going to the toilet.