embarkation/boarding process - for 1st time cruiser on HAL

CanuckonaBoat

I've never been on a cruise -this is my first one with HAL (MS Eurodam 12 day baltic cruise in June).

I want to better understand the embarkation/boarding process.... starting with..(for example) You will be dropped off by your taxi at the check-in terminal, proceed to the check-in line with your luggage, check-in, leave luggage at x, go to the boarding area..(not really sure that happens..but those are the sort of things I want to know).

Please walk me through each step! Thanks!

You've actually got the steps pretty much in the right order, except that you drop off the luggage before the check-in line. After checkin, you may have to wait awhile, 30min-1hr at the most, if you arrive at a peak time, about 12n-2pm (times may vary), before boarding.

It's a good idea to have your boarding pass (the 1st page of your printed express docs) and passport handy.

Embarkation is quite simple really. The ships have it down to a fine art.

Once you are dropped off the stevedores take your luggage (keep your carry ons with your valuables, meds, etc.) and you don't have to deal with it.

Then you proceed to check in, get your key card, etc. and wait for your number to be called to board. (those in Neptune suites and PH and 4*+ mariners get priority boarding).

there will be people there to guide you - never fear :D

enjoy your first cruise! Nothing like walking on the ship to feel like the cruise is really happening:)

Thanks! this is very helpful. If I have already done ONLINE check-in - does the process change?

And do my husband and I have to board at the same time if we are in the same cabin?

What time do you recommend boarding if I don't want to wait?

Congratulations on getting ready for your first cruise.

No -- doing the online check-in does not change the process for getting on the ship. All it does is speed up -- your check-in as you will not have to fill in the forms at the terminal.

We always like to get to the terminal by 11 AM so that we can be among the first on the ship.

HAL started a new program a couple of years ago where they try to have the cabins ready by 11:30 when embarkation usually begins. That way you can drop off your carry-ons in your cabin and go to the Lido for lunch or the Dive-In for hamburgers or hot dogs.

I just want to add that there will be one form to fill out prior to check in. There is a health questionnaire that you will hand in at the check in counter. The questionnaire is trying to find out if you or anyone in your party has been sick or had diarrhea in the past few days as this can be indicative of norovirus.

The number that some have already referred to are plastic cards indicating your boarding number. When that number is called, you then proceed to board the ship. However, on the way, you will come to the obligatory photo opportunity. The ship's photographers take your party's picture just before you board. They then sell the picture to you later that day, in the photo gallery onboard. You do not have to purchase the picture but you may choose to since this is your first cruise.

Also, be prepared for the hand sanitizer police. They squirt you before boarding and at various other times during the cruise. It threw me off on my first cruise; I just didn't know about it. Hand sanitizer is available everywhere.

Enjoy your cruise! The first one is always special.

And do my husband and I have to board at the same time if we are in the same cabin?

No, but the second person to arrive still has to get in the check in line because that's where his/her photo will be taken for the ship ID/room key.

HAL started a new program a couple of years ago where they try to have the cabins ready by 11:30 when embarkation usually begins. That way you can drop off your carry-ons in your cabin and go to the Lido for lunch or the Dive-In for hamburgers or hot dogs.

Is there a dining room open for lunch? Or only the buffet and quick service (assuming that is what the Dive-In is :) )?

Is there a dining room open for lunch? Or only the buffet and quick service (assuming that is what the Dive-In is :) )?

The MDR is usually open between 12pm and 1:30pm for Mariners (people who've cruised on HAL or a sister line at least once, but lately we've not seen them check on this.. your card will indicate this with a symbol with 1 star). The menu is not bad and it's usually calmer there than the Lido deck.

However, on the way, you will come to the obligatory photo opportunity. The ship's photographers take your party's picture just before you board. They then sell the picture to you later that day, in the photo gallery onboard. You do not have to purchase the picture but you may choose to since this is your first cruise.

Actually the photo is not required. Feel free to walk around the line of people waiting to have their photo taken.

However, on the way, you will come to the obligatory photo opportunity. The ship's photographers take your party's picture just before you board. They then sell the picture to you later that day, in the photo gallery onboard. You do not have to purchase the picture but you may choose to since this is your first cruise.

Actually the photo is not required. Feel free to walk around the line of people waiting to have their photo taken.

Thanks for correcting my omission. Windsailer is correct, one can walk around, or say no to, the photographers.

I think I read in another post that boarding begins at about 11 and check-in begins at 10. Is that correct? We will be arriving at YVR at 8:15 a.m. and hope to be to Canada Place by 9:30. Since there's not really time to spend in Vancouver, we just want to board and check out the ship.

I think I read in another post that boarding begins at about 11 and check-in begins at 10. Is that correct? We will be arriving at YVR at 8:15 a.m. and hope to be to Canada Place by 9:30. Since there's not really time to spend in Vancouver, we just want to board and check out the ship.

It's been a couple of years since I boarded in Vancouver but, IIRC, the lines for security and customs don't open until 11:00, then you check in, and then you wait for your boarding number to be called. I think you may get on board around 11:30 give or take a few minutes, assuming they don't have to do a deep clean.

Honestly, the first time I arrived early, there was nowhere to sit and standing was just painful for that length of time. The following year, we had coffee at the airport until it was a reasonable time to leave for the port. At least, at the airport, we had a place to sit.

As my info is a few years old, hopefully someone will chime in with more recent experience. I'm boarding in Vancouver in a few weeks so am interested in updated info too.

Enjoy your cruise!

Regardless of what time check-in begins, boarding won't start until all the rooms are ready. I've never seen it happen much before 11:30 that I recall.

It's been a couple of years since I boarded in Vancouver but, IIRC, the lines for security and customs don't open until 11:00, then you check in, and then you wait for your boarding number to be called. I think you may get on board around 11:30 give or take a few minutes, assuming they don't have to do a deep clean.

Honestly, the first time I arrived early, there was nowhere to sit and standing was just painful for that length of time. The following year, we had coffee at the airport until it was a reasonable time to leave for the port. At least, at the airport, we had a place to sit.

As my info is a few years old, hopefully someone will chime in with more recent experience. I'm boarding in Vancouver in a few weeks so am interested in updated info too.

Enjoy your cruise!

2012 we boarded the Zaandam on a repo cruise heading south. Arrived at the Canada Place terminal at 10 am and it was bedlam as the prior cruisers were still disembarking. (Over 100 wheelchairs to deal with) we told different stories as to where to go from drop off bags and come back in 2 hours to head "over there". We then sat in a large room for almost an hour and got a few updates to what was happening. It was closer to 1 pm before we boarded. No line up for pics and by then our cabins were ready.

Luggage arrived after the muster drill and sail away

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app

• 4 weeks later...
I just printed my express documents and it shows embarkation time as noon. Does this make a difference as to when we will actually be able to check-in and board?

Not at all.

Check in normally begins around 10:30 AM. You'll have time to sit around before boarding begins in the 11-11:30 range.

I just printed my express documents and it shows embarkation time as noon. Does this make a difference as to when we will actually be able to check-in and board?

Ignore the Noon time. We stayed at Pan Pacific (on the pier) so we were already to go early (our luggage went via the bellman), so we went down to the checkin area (in Vancouver) and were the second couple in the line to enter at 10 AM. About 10:15 they opened the door and got us through the security scanners quickly. They did ask us for the first page of the documents pages (from HAL on-line).

Then we went to the check-in area where we were handed the short health form and we got in line. Since we were the first ones, we went right up to the desk (there were a good number of them) and did the check-in (they took our photos as well) and they gave us our cards for the cruise.

From there they sat us down in a specific row order (one for handicap, one for Neptune suites and 4 or 5 stars, and the rest in order as they came in.

Just after 11 AM they instructed us to board the ship (by the row we were seated in). No problems at all.

DaveOKC