Rum Runners obsolete soon?

Conshydot

As if alcohol, marijuana, caffeine and pills of various kinds aren't enough to give Americans a buzz, the federal government has approved a new product: powdered booze, reports Gawker.

Even the company behind it, Palcohol, says the U.S. Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau's approval caught it off guard. The product is now expected to hit shelves in the fall, giving consumers six just-add-water options to choose from, including straight options like vodka and mixed offerings like Cosmopolitan.

Lehrman Beverage Law, which first reported the TTB's approval, is "absolutely astonished" that Palcohol was approved and says it "seems highly likely to raise a large number of legal issues and controversies."http://www.usatoday.com/

Edited by Conshydot

Just like anything else, moderation.

However, I think it's pretty cool and would lighten the load, not just in travel but coming back from the store/market as well. I think we should wait until it actually comes out until we really make a comment about it.

As if alcohol, marijuana, caffeine and pills of various kinds aren't enough to give Americans a buzz, the federal government has approved a new product: powdered booze, reports Gawker.

Even the company behind it, Palcohol, says the U.S. Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau's approval caught it off guard. The product is now expected to hit shelves in the fall, giving consumers six just-add-water options to choose from, including straight options like vodka and mixed offerings like Cosmopolitan.

Lehrman Beverage Law, which first reported the TTB's approval, is "absolutely astonished" that Palcohol was approved and says it "seems highly likely to raise a large number of legal issues and controversies."http://www.usatoday.com/

Anyone who knows any chemistry at all, knows it can't be powdered alcohol(ethanol). Ethanol is a chemical compound and is a liquid at room temperature. To be a powder it would have to be below its freezing point. Have you ever put vodka in the refrigerator? Even at that temperature it's still a liquid.

Anyone who knows any chemistry at all, knows it can't be powdered alcohol(ethanol). Ethanol is a chemical compound and is a liquid at room temperature. To be a powder it would have to be below its freezing point. Have you ever put vodka in the refrigerator? Even at that temperature it's still a liquid.

Yes you can, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_powder

When I first heard about it, I thought the same thing ( had quite a discussion over the Easter dinner table). Then we found out that it is encapsulated somehow, probably like some gel caps, and that made the whole idea even less appealing.

I am sticking to my beverage package. :D

When I first heard about it, I thought the same thing ( had quite a discussion over the Easter dinner table). Then we found out that it is encapsulated somehow, probably like some gel caps, and that made the whole idea even less appealing.

I am sticking to my beverage package. :D

fascinating....and powdered alcohol has apparently been around for years despite the claim on palcohol's web page that their founder invented it....sounds a bit like Al Gore, the inventor of the internet.

I think that there are a few issues that may or may make it feasible to replace rum runners or buying drinks on board.

Those drinks may have that instant taste. Instant coffee has never replaced the regular method of brewing and I don't know of anyone that prefers the taste of instant to regular brewed coffee. .

The other is the cost factor. If one of those drinks cost the same or more than on board prices why bother. I doubt if the prices will be cheap.

Then if they do contain "liquid" alcohol they will be detected like any other spirits people try to sneak on board.

Just a few things to think about, since my opinion doesn't really mean anything.

🚢🇺🇸