Question for anyone recently on the Zaandam in a Neptune Suite

CowPrincess

The rules keep changing on what you will get -- from ship to ship.

For example we sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam in November 2013 and in the PS we got a bottle of Pol Clemete in the cabin but nothing in the Neptune Lounge on embarkation day.

We recently sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam again and this time we got Duc de Valmer in the cabin and a glass (or 2) of the same stuff in the Neptune Lounge.

Thanks KK and frankc98736. That's the impression I've been getting, reading the reviews here. Maybe a bottle, maybe a glass.

I need to figure out my "wine strategy" for my upcoming cruise. Have discovered I'm pretty much already over-committed for embarkation day, and I arrive late the night before. Not certain when I'll have time to acquire my own wine to take onboard.

The rules keep changing on what you will get -- from ship to ship.

For example we sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam in November 2013 and in the PS we got a bottle of Pol Clemete in the cabin but nothing in the Neptune Lounge on embarkation day.

We recently sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam again and this time we got Duc de Valmer in the cabin and a glass (or 2) of the same stuff in the Neptune Lounge.

Was the Duc de Valmer wine drinkable?

Was the Duc de Valmer wine drinkable?

It's a charmat process French sparkling wine. It's good for what it is - a sparkling wine for toasting at weddings, or mixing in mimosas. It's fairly dry and overall a decent wine.

If you had $25 to spend on a sparkling wine or $45 to spend on a Champagne, you could certainly do better.

On the other hand, if it's free and it's chilled - and you have a glass in your hand, it's drinkable.

I need to figure out my "wine strategy" for my upcoming cruise.

That's the million dollar question, isn't it?

A lot of people will tell you that white wine goes with fish and red wine goes with meat. That's not always the case. The maxim that applies no matter what is:

White wine pairs well with fish or fowl.

Red wine pairs with meat or game.

There's an empty glass in my right hand. It pairs with everything.

We were on the Zaandam in January and had a bottle of sparkling wine (sorry - don't remember what kind) in the suite when we embarked. There were no glasses of wine being served at embarkation in the Neptune Lounge. In the past we were able to trade the sparkling wine (which we don't enjoy) for a bottle of wine, a couple of beers or a couple of sodas. On this cruise, we were only able to trade the sparkling wine for a bottle of the house Chardonnay (which is ok but not great). The Neptune Suite "free sparkling wine" policy does seem to vary ship to ship. Last year when on the Rotterdam, all we received was a glass of sparkling wine in the Neptune Lounge when we embarked.

Wondering if you got a complimentary "Welcome Aboard" glass of wine in the Neptune Lounge, or the complimentary bottle of wine in the cabin.

Thanks as always for any info ....

Cannot comment specifically as to Zaandam, but we were just on Zuiderdam, and we had both -- A bottle of "Sparkling" wine , plus a bottle of mineral water in our cabin, and a glass when we stopped by the Neptune Lounge. Based on many recent threads, almost any thing is possible these days, probably depending on ship, itinerary, and staffing.

Ray in NH

It's a charmat process French sparkling wine. It's good for what it is - a sparkling wine for toasting at weddings, or mixing in mimosas. It's fairly dry and overall a decent wine.

If you had $25 to spend on a sparkling wine or $45 to spend on a Champagne, you could certainly do better.

On the other hand, if it's free and it's chilled - and you have a glass in your hand, it's drinkable.

Thanks for your comments, but it's not free! Your cruise fare pays for it:D

Thanks for your comments, but it's not free! Your cruise fare pays for it:D

Okay. From that perspective, you're already paying for it and they're not giving you cash back if you don't drink it. ;)

We were on the Zaandam in January and had a bottle of sparkling wine (sorry - don't remember what kind) in the suite when we embarked. There were no glasses of wine being served at embarkation in the Neptune Lounge. In the past we were able to trade the sparkling wine (which we don't enjoy) for a bottle of wine, a couple of beers or a couple of sodas. On this cruise, we were only able to trade the sparkling wine for a bottle of the house Chardonnay (which is ok but not great). The Neptune Suite "free sparkling wine" policy does seem to vary ship to ship. Last year when on the Rotterdam, all we received was a glass of sparkling wine in the Neptune Lounge when we embarked.

Thanks for the fairly current report :D Yes, there does seem to be variation from ship to ship. I will hope for a bottle in the cabin. If well-chilled, I'll probably be able to enjoy it.

>SNIP< Based on many recent threads, almost any thing is possible these days, probably depending on ship, itinerary, and staffing.

Ray in NH

I totally agree! As long as they don't change to "bucket of beer" or something I guess I'll be okay ;)

That's the million dollar question, isn't it?

>SNIP<

I'm actually considering changing my flight, paying the penalties, and the increased airfare, to get to Vancouver a couple of hours earlier :eek:

Given that it is a 7 day cruise, I don't think I should do all that, for 3 bottles of wine :)