Cruise Tour or just wander?

joeyillinois

7 day Alaska RT Vancouver Juneau, Skagway & Ketchican -- Wondering if to save some money - there may be some walking tours we could do on our own and see some interesting, scenic, historic things. Just wondering - walking is no problem. Read about some totems in ? Don't know if that would be within walking distance of the cruise ship.

Not into the "touristy" go see this or that shop. Like more nature and history and of course the scenery.

I'd splurge on one excursion, something special for this trip to Alaska.

But sure, you can walk around or ride public buses, or rent a car to avoid cruiseline excursions.

In Ketchikan the visitor booths offer a free map for walking tours of the town. The public bus will take you to Totem Bight Park ; great totems and lovely waterfront location

In Skagway you can rent a car and drive to the Yukon, or walk to the Goldrush Museum to the Goldrush Cemetary at the edge of town. Or take the town bus.

In Juneau, Mendenhall Glacier can be reached via bus with Might Great Tours for under $20.

Do a little research and discover options that appeal to your interests and priorities !!

Borrow an Alaska travel book from the library, google each town's visitor information web site for ideas ie http://www.skagway.com. Read thru the trip reports in the STICKY above called '2013 alaska cruise reviews' (go to reply #45 where the reports are sorted by cruiseline). You'll find quite a few DIY suggestions.

7 day Alaska RT Vancouver Juneau, Skagway & Ketchican -- Wondering if to save some money - there may be some walking tours we could do on our own and see some interesting, scenic, historic things. Just wondering - walking is no problem. Read about some totems in ? Don't know if that would be within walking distance of the cruise ship.

Not into the "touristy" go see this or that shop. Like more nature and history and of course the scenery.

In my opinion, saving money elsewhere may be of benefit. Tours in Alaska are well worth the costs, if a priority interest and not the place to skimp. :) Each port has walking tour maps. Also available from your library Fodor's Alaska and Frommer's Alaska for example. There is a lot more to Alaska than the downtown areas. Determine, why you chose to go to Alaska and how often you are going to to get there, perhaps.

In Skagway the Park Service has free walking tours available. You need to sign up at their office in the old train depot very close to the docks.

The National Park in Skagway usually has a walking tour around 10 AM. But, you need to get there early to snag a ticket by 9 ish.

The last time I was in Ketchikan, I followed the river upstream from the town. It was a very interesting walk plus I saw salmon naturally jumping up the falls. At the end of the stream is an Indian run Salmon hatchery that charges admission. I skipped that. On the way back down, I found a hot dog shop that specialized in reindeer dogs with free wi-fi.

Then I took the Walmart bus through the tunnel just to see the other side of town.

We are going to splurge at one port, compromise at another, and hopefully do the other for free.

So far we are planning the ships Tracey arm excursion in Juneau, rented a car in Skagway (less than half the price of the train, though we may decide on the train after all and cancel our reservation), and something free hopefully in Ketchikan.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Summerl30

All sounds like good ideas. I thought about one cruise line excursion, but really couldn't decide for the money which we'd want to do. We're taking the train from Chicago to Vancouver - so even though scenery would be different thought we might have had enough of trains and not want to do the train trip.

The National Park in Skagway usually has a walking tour around 10 AM. But, you need to get there early to snag a ticket by 9 ish.

It's the ranger presentation usually at 10 am. There are several walking tours, hourly.

If this is your first time going to Alaska, I fully agree with Karen, you must get out and see it. You can see a lot of wonderful things from the ship and the towns are very quaint, but if you are choosing to go to Alaska, find one interesting thing that you will bring home wonderful memories of.

We've been twice. first time we did this and that, wondering if we would get back. We did and second time, we did take the time to explore some of the things the towns have to offer. But we also planned one big day, renting a car in Skagway and driving into the Yukon to Emerald Lake. Renting a car is cheap compared to what some of the excursions cost, and if you are a couple, a family this would be the perfect thing. From this one trip we brought home unbelievable memories of seeing a bear walk out in the road a few yards from us, seeing eagles, and just the thought of getting into the Yukon and seeing the magnificent scenery, well, I get excited talking about it. You have to get out and see and experience this marvelous state.

Cheers

Len

If this is your first time going to Alaska, I fully agree with Karen, you must get out and see it. You can see a lot of wonderful things from the ship and the towns are very quaint, but if you are choosing to go to Alaska, find one interesting thing that you will bring home wonderful memories of.

We've been twice. first time we did this and that, wondering if we would get back. We did and second time, we did take the time to explore some of the things the towns have to offer. But we also planned one big day, renting a car in Skagway and driving into the Yukon to Emerald Lake. Renting a car is cheap compared to what some of the excursions cost, and if you are a couple, a family this would be the perfect thing. From this one trip we brought home unbelievable memories of seeing a bear walk out in the road a few yards from us, seeing eagles, and just the thought of getting into the Yukon and seeing the magnificent scenery, well, I get excited talking about it. You have to get out and see and experience this marvelous state.

Cheers

Len

+1 - It is the most amazing drive I've ever taken!

On our first cruise to Alaska, we took one excursion through the cruise line (snorkeling in Ketchikan), one independently booked excursion (kayaking in Haines), and one day touring on our own (bus to Mendenhall Glacier then the State Capitol and State Museum in Juneau). The important thing is to read about the various options and know what you want to do before you get there. I've talked to people on our cruises who basically wasted a day in port because they did not plan. (And it's important to have a backup plan if you do book one of the excursions that can get canceled due to weather--such as float plane and helicopter flights.)

On our subsequent cruises, I always have at least one major activity planned for each port. Last time, it was kayaking on Mendenhall Lake in Juneau, hiking in Skagway, and going to Totem Bight in Ketchikan.

IMHO, if you are not into the touristy things and shopping, you absolutely have to plan something to get into the natural surroundings. Whether you rent a car, book independent excursions or do ship excursions, I'd suggest something beyond walking tours of the immediate area. It would be a shame to miss what Alaska is all about. (Just my opinion!)