Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ Part 2

Host Kat

Thanks Meg!!!

Cute picture of Smudge!

Someone on CC suggested it's better to park at the pier.

I definitely want to stay somewhere I'll get hotel points!

Cheryl

It is best to park at the port because the port has 24 hr security. It also the most expensive parking option at $15/day so many people prefer to park elsewhere.

We will be staying 2 nights in Mid November before our cruise leaving from Port Everglades. We thought it would be nice to see a bit more of Ft. Lauderdale than 1 night would allow.

We aren't 'lie on the beach' people, though love walking there or on a boardwalk/beachside path. We love walking around interesting areas, marinas, and such places.

I have been looking at hotels but not sure which area to choose to stay. First thought was at the beach for the views and beachside walking, but not sure now and wonder if a hotel in a different area would be a better choice for us.

We will be dropping off our car rental when we arrive and then taking a cab to the port on embarkation day.

Any suggestions for area and then hotel? I have been making a list of hotels. Many thanks.

We will be staying 2 nights in Mid November before our cruise leaving from Port Everglades. We thought it would be nice to see a bit more of Ft. Lauderdale than 1 night would allow.

We aren't 'lie on the beach' people, though love walking there or on a boardwalk/beachside path. We love walking around interesting areas, marinas, and such places.

I have been looking at hotels but not sure which area to choose to stay. First thought was at the beach for the views and beachside walking, but not sure now and wonder if a hotel in a different area would be a better choice for us.

We will be dropping off our car rental when we arrive and then taking a cab to the port on embarkation day.

Any suggestions for area and then hotel? I have been making a list of hotels. Many thanks.

I would stay at Gallery One Doubletree. Why?

• water taxi stop at hotel
  • Galleria Mall 1 block
  • many restaurants 1-6 blocks
  • beach 3 blocks
  • Bonnet House 4 blocks
    Birch Park 2 blocks (nice nature walking, Segway rentals, etc)
  • on Suntrolley route (you can go downtown to Las Olas Blvd with just one transfer or further down the beach without transfering)

Another great choice would be Riverside Hotel:
    water taxi nearby
    Suntrolley route
    interesting strolls downtown and along river
    Discovery Center 1 mile
    Museum of Art 3 blocks
    Stranahan House 1 block
    dozens of cafes, galleries and boutiques in the neighborhood
    beach 2 miles

Edited by royalcruz

I would stay at Gallery One Doubletree. Why?

• water taxi stop at hotel
  • Galleria Mall 1 block
  • many restaurants 1-6 blocks
  • beach 3 blocks
  • Bonnet House 4 blocks
    Birch Park 2 blocks (nice nature walking, Segway rentals, etc)
  • on Suntrolley route (you can go downtown to Las Olas Blvd with just one transfer or further down the beach without transfering)

Another great choice would be Riverside Hotel:
    water taxi nearby
    Suntrolley route
    interesting strolls downtown and along river
    Discovery Center 1 mile
    Museum of Art 3 blocks
    Stranahan House 1 block
    dozens of cafes, galleries and boutiques in the neighborhood
    beach 2 miles

Thank you. That is a big help. We certainly don't mind walking 2 miles to the beach.

We are getting off RCI cruise and need a rental for the day only.

Where should we book?

Is there a shuttle to the car rental place?

Can we drop off at airport?

Thanks so much!!! :)

HI, we have your same situation. where can we book for a day with dropp off at the Ft. lauderdale airport?

Thanks in advance,

Hi everyone,

We are flying into FLL the last week of June prior to our cruise embarking on June 28th at Port Everglades. We are staying at the Hilton Beach Resort since we'll be there 2 days before our cruise to enjoy some extra beach time.

Questions:

- how much is a taxi from FLL airport to the hotel (approximate)?

- any recommended restaurants within walking distance of the hotel? Or, if not, best available transportation to get us to a good place to eat? Looking for both cheaper, easy lunch spots as well as maybe a nice dinner, any kind of food.

- how much for a shuttle or taxi from the hotel to the port on cruise day? How long will it take to get to the port?

We are flying into FLL on Sat. June 21, at 10:41 p.m., we are staying at the Holiday Inn Express on 17th. Will we be able to find a place to eat dinner (it will be 7:41 p.m. for us)? Also we will be flying out of FLL on Sun. June 29, my plan was to take a taxi from the Allure to FLL, but my husband thinks we will never be able to get a taxi with all of those people. Our flight is at 11:30, will we be able to get a taxi?

We are flying into FLL on Sat. June 21, at 10:41 p.m., we are staying at the Holiday Inn Express on 17th. Will we be able to find a place to eat dinner (it will be 7:41 p.m. for us)? Also we will be flying out of FLL on Sun. June 29, my plan was to take a taxi from the Allure to FLL, but my husband thinks we will never be able to get a taxi with all of those people. Our flight is at 11:30, will we be able to get a taxi?

Yes. You'll be able to get a taxi. We were on the Allure the week of Easter and there is a taxi stand right outside the door where you exit customs. Just walk up. You probably will want to do a self assist debarcation though.

Hello:) there are tons and tons of hotels all around Ft. Lauderdale

and the beach areas.....As for picking a hotel with a shuttle service?

I would not put that as a priority..there are many hotels that are

between a 10.00-20.00 cab ride.....and you can choose to leave

for the port when you want. Shuttles normally have specific times.

Along 17th Street there are Embassy Suites, Renassiance, Hyatt

Place, and a Holiday Inn Exppress. There is an Einstein Bagels

near all the hotels I just mentioned. You can go there for breakfast:)

They are also very near the port.

There is also Hilton Marina and Hyatt Pier 66 on 17th too.

Have a great cruise:D

Thank you, Lois. I appreciate you breaking it down for me. There are SO many options, it gets a little overwhelming.

Looking for a clean, close to port with a shuttle hotel for 1 night December 3. There will b 2 adults & 1 child arriving around 9 pm. I'm going nuts trying to figure this out. We will be boarding the Caribbean princess December 4. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Edited by disneyaholicraquel

Looking for a clean, close to port with a shuttle hotel for 1 night December 3. There will b 2 adults & 1 child arriving around 9 pm. I'm going nuts trying to figure this out. We will be boarding the Caribbean princess December 4. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Sorry no one has replied as yet, March, we stayed at the Springhill Suites, Airport - Cruiseport, free airport shuttle and free cruiseport shuttle. You will need to register for the transportation list as soon as you arrive, wasn't cheap but we didn't book this early.

Our next cruise, Nov.30 we are driving down and are staying at the Fairfield Inn, airport - cruiseport, we do not have to pay to leave our car there but do have to pay for the port shuttle. I believe it will be $8 per person. I am sure that you have read some of this thread, there are some good links to hotels along with looking on google for FLL hotels, you should be well informed. Best of luck

Hi everyone,

We are flying into FLL the last week of June prior to our cruise embarking on June 28th at Port Everglades. We are staying at the Hilton Beach Resort since we'll be there 2 days before our cruise to enjoy some extra beach time.

Questions:

- how much is a taxi from FLL airport to the hotel (approximate)?

- any recommended restaurants within walking distance of the hotel? Or, if not, best available transportation to get us to a good place to eat? Looking for both cheaper, easy lunch spots as well as maybe a nice dinner, any kind of food.

- how much for a shuttle or taxi from the hotel to the port on cruise day? How long will it take to get to the port?

Great choice on hotels the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach is a great location. The cab ride will run you approximately $20-$25 to the hotel. Walking distance to the hotel there is Casablanca Café (great place, overlooks the ocean), also there is bars etc at Marriott Beach Place. The Hilton recently opened S3 also which overlooks the beach and is a great spot for tapas and drinks. If you're trying to go further, you can use a taxi service or the Sun Trolley (not sure where they pick up though).

Taxi from the hotel to the port will be about $20-$25 again, and give yourself about 20 minutes to the port depending on traffic. If you're looking to take any day trips or travel further away from the hotel, it is definitely cheaper to rent a car then it is to take cabs. Cabs get expensive fast in Fort Lauderdale area. Ask the concierge at the hotel for a car rental company, I'm sure they have someone they work with. Enjoy the trip!!

Hello.

Just wondering if you would know if there is an Original Pancake House near the Tranquilo hotel. We are booked there for November before our cruise and it says on their website that they have the same area code as the hotel but when I go to Google maps I can't seem to find it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks! ;)

Hello.

Just wondering if you would know if there is an Original Pancake House near the Tranquilo hotel. We are booked there for November before our cruise and it says on their website that they have the same area code as the hotel but when I go to Google maps I can't seem to find it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks! ;)

OPH is about 4 miles from the hotel. It's on N Federal Hwy a few blocks south of Oakland Park Blvd. Both the hotel and restaurant are on Google Maps. Just ask for directions from one to the other and it will come up.

Edited by royalcruz

We are booked on the Oasis in May 2015 and just beginning to research hotels. We stayed at the Hyatt Pier 66 last time. Prices have gone up considerably since a year ago there. I'm not sure yet if we will be staying one or two nights pre-cruise, but if two nights pre-cruise I would still like to be on the water taxi route. Subscribing to watch for any new suggestions!

We are booked on the Oasis in May 2015 and just beginning to research hotels. We stayed at the Hyatt Pier 66 last time. Prices have gone up considerably since a year ago there. I'm not sure yet if we will be staying one or two nights pre-cruise, but if two nights pre-cruise I would still like to be on the water taxi route. Subscribing to watch for any new suggestions!

Riverside Hotel and Hyatt Pier 66 are available on LMT.com in May 2015 for great low rates. They both have water taxi stops closeby. The water taxi stop is actually closed right now at Hyatt due to construction and I don't know when it's reopening.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello... this will be my first time disembarking from a cruise ship but staying in Florida for several days post-cruise later this year (Nov 2014). My plan is to head to Key West the morning that the cruise ship pulls into port. My flight is 6 days later at the Ft. Lauderdale airport. Since I don't know which rental car company i will be using as yet (will probably do a priceline bid later this year), I was wondering what people suggest in general as the best method to transition to the airport to pick up the rental car?

Hello... this will be my first time disembarking from a cruise ship but staying in Florida for several days post-cruise later this year (Nov 2014). My plan is to head to Key West the morning that the cruise ship pulls into port. My flight is 6 days later at the Ft. Lauderdale airport. Since I don't know which rental car company i will be using as yet (will probably do a priceline bid later this year), I was wondering what people suggest in general as the best method to transition to the airport to pick up the rental car?

Avis and National have a free shuttle from the port to the airport facility. Otherwise, take a taxi for $10-15. If you're a costco member, they sometimes have awesome rental car deals.

We will be staying at the Hyatt Regency Pier 66 before our 7/31 cruise. Coming in day before. The website says the stop for the water taxi stop at Hyatt is temporarily not in service due to pier construction. Can we walk over the 17th street bridge to get to stop at Hilton Marina?

My husband and I are arriving two days early for our cruise. We are staying at Hyatt Place Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port, Dania Beach. We have rented a car because we want to go to Sawgrass Mall and do an airboat ride.

We are debating what else to do (its not a lot of time) but I am considering the water taxi and Los Olas. From what I can tell on the maps, our Hotel is quite a distance from a water tax stop. Is there a stop we can drive to a park?

Also, we need to return our car to the airport prior to the cruise. I was thinking about talking to the hotel about picking us up at the airport after drop off and the taking us to the port. After reading on this board I think it would be smarter to just get a taxi from the rental center to the port. Any comments on this?

Thanks