Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ Part 2

Host Kat

We could rent a car, but really like you said we would probably prefer to just kick back and relax and have someone else take us. It's ok driving in the US when it's not too busy but I can imagine getting to a heat game could be busy.

Do you know of any limo companies we could check out that would do that kind of trip? Would it be easy to find the limo after the game?

We stayed at the Holiday Inn (in Miami) which is right across the street from the Miami Heat Stadium. It was great to just walk across the street to shops and the stadium. We used Infinity Transportation to get us from Miami to Port Everglades. It was a limo and cost in Oct 2013 was $ 140.

These 2 places are not in the same place. Harbor Shops is about 2 miles from your hotel and Las Olas is about 5 miles from your hotel.

The Harbor Shops is a suburban shopping center. It has Ace Hardware, Total Wine, Publix, a consignment shop, a boutique, Payless Shoes, a diet ice cream store, Coco Asian Bistro, and a few eateries/restaurants, mostly chains (Duffy's, Firehouse, Moe's Southwest, Five Guys). Lauderdale Grill there has live music some nights, some good blues bands. Most people like Duffy's, an inexpensive sports bar/grill. There are other restaurants and strip centers in this area that you can walk to once you are there, but it is suburbia, no ambiance.

Las Olas is a lovely old street downtown where you feel like you are in Europe. It has boutiques, galleries, bars, and cafes. Some classics that are not chains and not expensive/fancy: Noodles Panini, Big City Tavern, Le Bonne Crepe, Cafe Europa. The main area is about a mile long.

Thank you so much for this feedback: this is exactly the kind of response I was hoping for. Las Olas it is! :D

Subscribing to this thread.

This is a great thread to get information from.

Do you know which company will pick us up in Ft Lauderdale and take us to the port of Miami. We are flying into Ft Lauderdale on July 4th and we are staying at Courtyard Ft Lauderdale Beach hotel. We want to take a shuttle from our hotel to Miami port on July 5, 2014? Thanks Mary

Edited by 2ashevillesailors

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Really appreciate your willingness to help us all figure out our FLL cruising questions.

We will be leaving from FLL for the Panama Canal cruise in October 2014. Since I've never been to FL before, and probably never will again, I want to spend a couple of days pre-cruise and get the feel of the area.

I'm willing to pay some extra for a hotel on the beach, and would like a nice hotel where we could see the cruise ships in port, maybe even them arriving and leaving, if possible. I was looking at the W and Westin Beach Resort, but was wondering what you would recommend.

Would love some recommendations for restaurants. We love seafood and would like something local, rather than a chain or hotel restaurant. I want to try some Cuban-type food.

Thanks, again.

Hi, Really appreciate your willingness to help us all figure out our FLL cruising questions.

We will be leaving from FLL for the Panama Canal cruise in October 2014. Since I've never been to FL before, and probably never will again, I want to spend a couple of days pre-cruise and get the feel of the area.

I'm willing to pay some extra for a hotel on the beach, and would like a nice hotel where we could see the cruise ships in port, maybe even them arriving and leaving, if possible. I was looking at the W and Westin Beach Resort, but was wondering what you would recommend.

Would love some recommendations for restaurants. We love seafood and would like something local, rather than a chain or hotel restaurant. I want to try some Cuban-type food.

Thanks, again.

You cannot see the cruise ships in port from the beach hotels, but you can see them coming and going in the ocean. Lago Mar will put you closest to the inlet (a few blocks), but you will need a car or taxi to go anywhere off the property. Westin and W are about 2 miles from the inlet but you will be able to see the ships going in and out in the distance; in fact, they are so big that they will look like they are only a block or so away. From 8 miles north, I can see which cruise lines are going out! I like the W a lot and have stayed there a few times for weekend getaways.

The seafood in Fort Lauderdale isn't that great IMO considering the ocean is right there. Most non-seafood restaurants serve Mahi Mahi as their only fish. Some popular choices are: Coconuts (waterfront), Rustic Inn (crabhouse), 15th St Fisheries (I prefer the downstairs more casual menu there, waterfront), Kelly's Landing (a New England sports bar/restaurant), 3030 (fine dining in the Harbor Beach Marriott), Lulu's Bait Shack (overlooking the ocean, super casual, mostly fried food, but it's good).

Cuban food: I usually eat at Fuego Latino, which has great Cuban and Mexican food. Don Arturo's is probably the oldest Cuban restaurant in Ft Lauderdale. There aren't any Cuban restaurants near the beach area. All of these places are very casual. If you have a car and want to venture to Miami, Versailles is the most popular.

Edited by royalcruz

Royalcruz, I just wanted to thank you for all your help in planning the Ft Lauderdale part of our cruise. Hyatt Place worked out great, Duffys for some afternoon snacks and finally a great dinner at Sweet Nectar on Las Olas and of course Total Wine.

Finally thanks for the tip about not taking hotel shuttle to port. I had arranged a taxi the night before through the "taxi app" on my iPad. Walked outside in the morning after I got a text that my taxi was on the way. The shuttle was sitting there and the driver asked if I was going to the port? I said I was but I had arranged a taxi. He told me that wasn't necessary. I said, "thanks, but I'm good" taxi arrived, we loaded up & 5-10 min later & $8.30 (+$5tip) we were at the port. I'm sure the shuttle was still sitting at the hotel waiting to fill up. I was telling the taxi driver my story & he just shook his head bc it was so much cheaper to take a taxi.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Royalcruz, I just wanted to thank you for all your help in planning the Ft Lauderdale part of our cruise. Hyatt Place worked out great, Duffys for some afternoon snacks and finally a great dinner at Sweet Nectar on Las Olas and of course Total Wine.

Finally thanks for the tip about not taking hotel shuttle to port. I had arranged a taxi the night before through the "taxi app" on my iPad. Walked outside in the morning after I got a text that my taxi was on the way. The shuttle was sitting there and the driver asked if I was going to the port? I said I was but I had arranged a taxi. He told me that wasn't necessary. I said, "thanks, but I'm good" taxi arrived, we loaded up & 5-10 min later & $8.30 (+$5tip) we were at the port. I'm sure the shuttle was still sitting at the hotel waiting to fill up. I was telling the taxi driver my story & he just shook his head bc it was so much cheaper to take a taxi.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Workinmom, I'm so glad that it all worked out for you. It's funny...we haven't been to Duffy's for a while because a good sports bar Bokampers opened on the water in our neighborhood. Well, we went to Bokampers today and our favorite Duffy's waiter works there now!

Tell us more about the TAXI APP...what's it called? Does it work all over the US?

Edited by royalcruz

Sharon, I have a question for you please:D.....would you know

anything about the Holiday Inn on Sheridan? Just wondering?

I will look on Trip Advisor too but thought you might have some

insight.

Thanks so much:)

We are cruising out of Port Everglades in December and driving down the day before. We are looking at the 17th St. Embassy Suites and The Hyatt Place 17th St. Convention Center.

Does anyone have any thoughts on either of these?

We also need a place to park our car for the 8 day cruise. Any suggestions would be great.

Lastly, we are thinking about going to the Bimini Boatyard Bar and Grill, is this good restaurant? Is it in a decent area? Would we be able to walk to the restaurant from either hotel or is the car a must?

Thank you in advance for your help.

We are cruising out of Port Everglades in December and driving down the day before. We are looking at the 17th St. Embassy Suites and The Hyatt Place 17th St. Convention Center.

We also need a place to park our car for the 8 day cruise. Any suggestions would be great.

Lastly, we are thinking about going to the Bimini Boatyard Bar and Grill, is this good restaurant? Is it in a decent area? Would we be able to walk to the restaurant from either hotel or is the car a must?

Hi,:) Embassy is very well liked...lots of cruisers stay there. And Bimimi

is across the street. I ate there last year and I was not impressed.

Many folks like it but I won't be going back. In my opinion, I thought

it was overpriced and the service was not very good.

Embassy has ALOT of restaurnts within walking distance besides

Bimini......

Bravo is in the same strip mall as Bimini......I have eaten there over

the years and loved it...it is Italian.

Also, right behind Embassy are "Harbour Shoppes".....there is a

wonderful Thai restaurant in there called COCO'S.......I love it:D

There is also a locally owned Mexican place called Carlos and Pepe's

near the hotel...it is very good too. (In my opinion).

As for parking? There is port parking.....Embassy is very close to the

port. Maybe someone else can give you more information on the parking.

I think there are indpendent lots as well.....but I don't have that

information.

Hope you have a great cruise:)

Sharon, I have a question for you please:D.....would you know

anything about the Holiday Inn on Sheridan? Just wondering?

I will look on Trip Advisor too but thought you might have some

insight.

Thanks so much:)

I haven't been to HI on Sheridan St in many years since it was brand new, but it was nice back then. There isn't really anything around there but I think there is a Denny's on the block.

We park at the port for $15/day. Those hotels may offer parking packages. You can walk to Bimini Boatyard easily from either hotel but it gets pretty mixed reviews. I've never had a bad meal there, but haven't been recently. Market 17 is a good restaurant, across the street from the plaza where Bimini is.

I haven't been to HI on Sheridan St in many years since it was brand new, but it was nice back then. There isn't really anything around there but I think there is a Denny's on the block.

Ok..thanks:)......found out SW has cut waaayyy back on their

flights from here to FLL:(.......so I may actually drive down for my

next cruise but the kicker is, I am sailing from Miami:rolleyes:

Ok..thanks:)......found out SW has cut waaayyy back on their

flights from here to FLL:(.......so I may actually drive down for my

next cruise but the kicker is, I am sailing from Miami:rolleyes:

Is that a 7 hr drive? I'm so sorry that they cut those flights that you have come to like. A lot of flights were cut between FLL and Orlando too.

Is that a 7 hr drive? I'm so sorry that they cut those flights that you have come to like. A lot of flights were cut between FLL and Orlando too.

Hi Sharon, no not 7 hours.....about 5 to you, and then that extra 45

(or so) down to Miami. I am actually looking at an alternative....found

a link to a few FLL hotels that offer free parking for the week AND

a one way shuttle down to the port of Miami....so it would only

cost me extra to get back to the hotel post cruise. Homewood

Suites on Griffin Road offers this package.....do you know this hotel?

Sharon,

What's the Renaissance in FL like? Appears to be close to the port. No mention of breakfast though :confused:. Is there a Budget depot close by where we could drop off our cars after driving down from Orlando? Last time we had to return to FLL, but wondered if there was anywhere closer to the hotel?

Additionally, we have booked return flights leaving from PBI and wondered if you could recommend any private hire companies (7 in our party). Alternatively, we'll rent cars and drive, hopefully without getting lost like we did last time (managed to end up in Tampa instead of Cape Canaveral :eek:). Our flight is not until 2pm, luckily :D.

Many thanks :).

Hi Sharon, no not 7 hours.....about 5 to you, and then that extra 45

(or so) down to Miami. I am actually looking at an alternative....found

a link to a few FLL hotels that offer free parking for the week AND

a one way shuttle down to the port of Miami....so it would only

cost me extra to get back to the hotel post cruise. Homewood

Suites on Griffin Road offers this package.....do you know this hotel?

Lois, I haven't been to that Homewood Suites but I stayed in one in Miami and it was nice. I haven't been to many hotels in Dania or Hollywood for anything.

Sharon,

What's the Renaissance in FL like? Appears to be close to the port. No mention of breakfast though :confused:. Is there a Budget depot close by where we could drop off our cars after driving down from Orlando? Last time we had to return to FLL, but wondered if there was anywhere closer to the hotel?

Additionally, we have booked return flights leaving from PBI and wondered if you could recommend any private hire companies (7 in our party). Alternatively, we'll rent cars and drive, hopefully without getting lost like we did last time (managed to end up in Tampa instead of Cape Canaveral :eek:). Our flight is not until 2pm, luckily :D.

Many thanks :).

The Renaissance is very nice. There is a restaurant there that serves breakfast but it's not included unless you have a package. There is a Budget on the block at 1515 SE 17th St. I'm not sure which shuttle companies go to PBI.

The Renaissance is very nice. There is a restaurant there that serves breakfast but it's not included unless you have a package. There is a Budget on the block at 1515 SE 17th St. I'm not sure which shuttle companies go to PBI.

Great, thanks for the info. The Budget sounds very close to the hotel..yeah :). Not too worried about the breakfast as I'm sure we used the Starbucks across from the HI the last time we visited.

Think I'll have to ask in a separate thread about the shuttle companies available.

Thanks again :).

Hi,:) Embassy is very well liked...lots of cruisers stay there. And Bimimi

is across the street. I ate there last year and I was not impressed.

Many folks like it but I won't be going back. In my opinion, I thought

it was overpriced and the service was not very good.

Embassy has ALOT of restaurnts within walking distance besides

Bimini......

Bravo is in the same strip mall as Bimini......I have eaten there over

the years and loved it...it is Italian.

Also, right behind Embassy are "Harbour Shoppes".....there is a

wonderful Thai restaurant in there called COCO'S.......I love it:D

There is also a locally owned Mexican place called Carlos and Pepe's

near the hotel...it is very good too. (In my opinion).

As for parking? There is port parking.....Embassy is very close to the

port. Maybe someone else can give you more information on the parking.

I think there are indpendent lots as well.....but I don't have that

information.

Hope you have a great cruise:)

Thank you for your help. I think we are going to go with the Embassy. The thing on the Bimini menu DH was looking at was the baby back rids. Is there anyplace close with that sort of thing? He is so picky, won't eat seafood, doesn't like cheese so that throws out Italian or Mexican.

We park at the port for $15/day. Those hotels may offer parking packages. You can walk to Bimini Boatyard easily from either hotel but it gets pretty mixed reviews. I've never had a bad meal there, but haven't been recently. Market 17 is a good restaurant, across the street from the plaza where Bimini is.

Thank you I will check out Market 17.

Thank you for your help. I think we are going to go with the Embassy. The thing on the Bimini menu DH was looking at was the baby back rids. Is there anyplace close with that sort of thing? He is so picky, won't eat seafood, doesn't like cheese so that throws out Italian or Mexican.

I think Duffy's has ribs.