Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ Part 2

Host Kat

Just booked an unplanned cruise on 11/29. I'll fly down the day before. I've stayed at the Hyatt Place pre-cruise back in Dec 2009, and post-cruise last November and the rates were really great (<$100).

Just checked for 11/28 and was shocked at how high it was showing. I think I also read that they no longer offer a free shuttle to the port.

I may be solo and when I am, I like to stay somewhere that feels safe and that has restaurants and shopping without easy walking distance, and Hyatt Place has that.

Are there ANY not-too-expensive hotels in that area that provide both airport and port shuttles at no charge? I don't need a parking package, just the shuttles (and breakfast).

Thanks!

Just booked an unplanned cruise on 11/29. I'll fly down the day before. I've stayed at the Hyatt Place pre-cruise back in Dec 2009, and post-cruise last November and the rates were really great (<$100).

Just checked for 11/28 and was shocked at how high it was showing. I think I also read that they no longer offer a free shuttle to the port.

I may be solo and when I am, I like to stay somewhere that feels safe and that has restaurants and shopping without easy walking distance, and Hyatt Place has that.

Are there ANY not-too-expensive hotels in that area that provide both airport and port shuttles at no charge? I don't need a parking package, just the shuttles (and breakfast).

Thanks!

Hi, I always sail solo and have been staying in that area for many

years.....when I get off the plane I just take a cab to the hotel.

I have never had any issues. And when the cruise is done, I get

a cab from the port to the airport...it is only like a 15 minute cab

ride. I don't even look for hotels that offer shuttles.....it is just so

easy to get a cab.

Prices for hotels can vary.....if you want to save money, HOTWIRE

and PRICELINE are good sites for lower hotel prices.

Thanks!

It's been about 2 yrs since any of the hotels on 17th St offered free port shuttles. HP, Holiday Inn Express, and Extended Stay had free airport shuttles last time I checked. I think they might offer port shuttles for $7 or $8 pp. If you aren't traveling solo, it's easier and usually cheaper to take a taxi. Valuetrips is advertising HP for as low as $129 during the November season.

Edited by royalcruz

It's been about 2 yrs since any of the hotels on 17th St offered free port shuttles. HP, Holiday Inn Express, and Extended Stay had free airport shuttles last time I checked. I think they might offer port shuttles for $7 or $8 pp. If you aren't traveling solo, it's easier and usually cheaper to take a taxi. Valuetrips is advertising HP for as low as $129 during the November season.

Can you tell me how Valuetrips works? I assume they come back to you with a price, but what if you don't want to accept the price they offer? Can you turn down their offer or cancel for free?

After several days online looking, I found Rodeway Inn & Suites. I must have a refrigerator (medicine) and looks like there is transportation from the airport and to Port Everglades. It also has a restaurant on site.

Has anyone stayed there?

Geez and after this is car rental is next..oh my I will need a vacation after all of this!:D

Can you tell me how Valuetrips works? I assume they come back to you with a price, but what if you don't want to accept the price they offer? Can you turn down their offer or cancel for free?

Valuetrips is not a final sale.http://www.valuetrips.com/AboutVT.htm

After several days online looking, I found Rodeway Inn & Suites. I must have a refrigerator (medicine) and looks like there is transportation from the airport and to Port Everglades. It also has a restaurant on site.

Has anyone stayed there?

Geez and after this is car rental is next..oh my I will need a vacation after all of this!:D

My friend just stayed there a few weeks ago and said it was ok and she'd stay there again. She had a very tight budget so it was the best choice for her. It's an old renovated motel in a neighborhood with nothing around, near i95, so I would only book there if it makes sense for you financially. They have free shuttles and a pool.

I've only ever used Priceline and Hotwire for hotels in San Juan. That Port-of-Call board has a very-useful "stuck" thread on it. Unfortunately, it isn't nearly so active as it used to be, but I learned enough about the hotels in the old city and Condado area that I was able to identify them and get what I wanted.

I'm a little concerned about trying it for Ft Lauderdale. To be honest, I just don't know if I want to spend the hours that it seems to take to do the research and figure out what is what only to save a few dollars.

When solo, I prefer to use a shuttle (keeps the cost down). If I'm with a cruise buddy, I don't mind a taxi because there's someone to share the cost. If only I were independently wealthy, I wouldn't worry about any of this. ;)

I'll check out Valuetrips.

I've noticed the airfares are substantially cheaper to Ft. Lauderdale than flying into Miami. Problem seems to be getting to the port from Lauderdale. Is it possible to save enough to warrant a trip this way. I just did a quick search on airfares and the difference was about $65 per person cheaper to fly into Ft. Lauderdale than Miami. There are 2 of us so that makes about $130 savings? Workable? Ideas?

I've noticed the airfares are substantially cheaper to Ft. Lauderdale than flying into Miami. Problem seems to be getting to the port from Lauderdale. Is it possible to save enough to warrant a trip this way. I just did a quick search on airfares and the difference was about $65 per person cheaper to fly into Ft. Lauderdale than Miami. There are 2 of us so that makes about $130 savings? Workable? Ideas?

Hi, there are lots of threads about transportation and many folks

fly into FLL and sail out of Miami.

The following are companies that can get you to the port of Miami

from FLL.

SAS

Go Shuttle

Also, there are car services...QLS and Larry's Limos are 2 of them

So that is 4 choices.

SAS is www.ridesas.com

GO Shuttle is right outside of baggage claim......they do shared

rides all over the place.

Even if you take a taxi you'll save a little bit of money, and personally I prefer FLL airport to MIA.

I used valuetrips this May an had no problem with it usually takes them 2 -3 business days to email you back .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Once valuetrips sends you an email with a quoted price, are you locked into the booking or can you decline the quote? Also if you accept the quote can you cancel it at a later date without penalty? Sorry for so many questions, just trying to figure out how this works. Thanks. Carla

Once valuetrips sends you an email with a quoted price, are you locked into the booking or can you decline the quote? Also if you accept the quote can you cancel it at a later date without penalty? Sorry for so many questions, just trying to figure out how this works. Thanks. Carla

Once you get the email you can cancel at any time threw hyatt place . No penalty . But the price is for two people if you add more people to the room there is a 10.00 charge per person .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think I'm going to book the Hyatt Place through Valuetrips, especially if there's no cancellation penalty. I may have a friend join me and she may want to stay somewhere on the beach (not important to me since I'll have plenty of beach time in the ports), so I'd prefer to not be locked into a 'no-cancellations' rate.

Thanks for all the helpful info, folks! :D

Hi, a group of us will be staying a couple of days in Ft. lauderdale pre cruise in February. Can anyone give me information on North Beach Village? I have made reservations at Tranquilo. It had great reviews on trip advisor and looked nice on the web-site. I have no knowledge of Ft. Lauderdale. We will not have a car. We are looking to spend time by the pool and a little site seeing via the water taxi. Is it a safe area for walking at night? Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Hi, a group of us will be staying a couple of days in Ft. lauderdale pre cruise in February. Can anyone give me information on North Beach Village? I have made reservations at Tranquilo. It had great reviews on trip advisor and looked nice on the web-site. I have no knowledge of Ft. Lauderdale. We will not have a car. We are looking to spend time by the pool and a little site seeing via the water taxi. Is it a safe area for walking at night? Any information will be greatly appreciated.

It's a safe area. There are a few very casual restaurants and bars a few blocks away. The closest water taxi stop at Seville St is a half mile away, and you have to call for service because it isn't a regularly scheduled stop...the next closest is a mile away at either Gallery One or BeachPlace. If you don't have a car and have no problem walking, it's a good area to stay in.

Hi all,

My two daughters 21 and 18, wife and I will be sailing March 8th. I have done a bit of research and read this thread but have a couple of questions. Note - I rented an SUV for that day prior to take the girls shopping...

· Flying in the day prior and used points to book two rooms at the Holiday Inn Express, 205 N. Federal Hwy, Diana Beach. I can pretty much stay at any of the Holiday Inn or Marriott properties so any good/bad reviews? Gladly accept alternative suggestions.

· Family of four with four large suitcases, can you request a van when asking for a taxi to the port?

Edited by xmarksx

Hi:)...I tried to quote your post but seems that feature is not working:rolleyes:

If you have points for "Any Marriott property"? Why not stay at

The Marriott Harbor Beach Resort? It is lovely:D.....near 17th Street,

Las Olas Blvd too........Holiday Inns can be ok...but this particular

Marriott? REALLY NICE:)

I gave some serious thought to Marriott Harbor but was a bit scared by some online reviews (Trip Advisor) that complained about screaming kids and other issues. It looks great from the photos and I fully recognize online reviews should be viewed skeptically. I will give it another look!

Any input on the taxi question, is it easy to request a van?

I gave some serious thought to Marriott Harbor but was a bit scared by some online reviews (Trip Advisor) that complained about screaming kids and other issues. It looks great from the photos and I fully recognize online reviews should be viewed skeptically. I will give it another look!

Any input on the taxi question, is it easy to request a van?

I didn't read Trip Advisor about it....:eek:.....

Cabs along that area are always available:D.....oh the size of the

cab? You could call the Cab company and request a van.

Maybe Sharon will give you some first hand input.....she is our Ft.

Lauderdale expert around here:)

You shouldn't have trouble requesting a van taxi large enough. A couple of times we saw a van taxi waiting at the hotel/airport and made arrangements right there with the driver for pickup at our requested time.

You can also have the hotel concierge (if there is one) arrange for a taxi large enough for your family.

We have frequently cruised with 4 adults and 4-5 full-size bags plus carry-ons and always been able to share a taxi.