Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ Part 2

Host Kat

Thanks Sharon.

We're flying in to FLL a day early. We're not interested in the beach but we would like to find a hotel close to the riverwalk. Any recommendations for a hotel within safe walking distance of riverwalk that might be under $200 in mid September?

Thanks Sharon.

We're flying in to FLL a day early. We're not interested in the beach but we would like to find a hotel close to the riverwalk. Any recommendations for a hotel within safe walking distance of riverwalk that might be under $200 in mid September?

Check out the Riverside Hotel. It is on Las Olas, close to the Riverwalk, a water taxi stop (http://www.watertaxi.com) and you can catch the sun trolley (http://www.suntrolley.com). For more Fort Lauderdale info check out http://www.sunny.org.

Thanks Sharon.

The only hotel within safe walking distance is Riverside Hotel. Hampton Inn is within an easy walking distance but it's in an area that is too isolated at night (and very close to inner city neighborhood) to be safe. In fact, I wouldn't walk the Riverwalk at night.

I have booked the Hyatt Regency pier 66. I am not familiar with this hotel . Is there someplace close to buy wine, and places within walking distance to eat?

You can eat at the Hyatt or walk a few blocks west to find many more dining choices. Just google map the hotel and then "search nearby" for "restaurants" and you'll see them....the closest ones outside of the hotel are Market 17, Bimini Boatyard, and Bravo. There are a few liquor/wine stores just under a mile west...Total Wine is the most popular.

Any experiences with the bubba gumps at Lauderdale beach front? We are making some research for a pre cruise dinner for a group of 22 that includes 4 under 6 y/o

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bubba Gumps gets a lot of bad reviews online and by word of mouth. I've never gone there because I don't eat that kind of food, so I can't give any first hand advice. The Ft Lauderdale beachfront (other than the upscale restaurants in the hotels) is known for average to below average food and service, so it's probably your best bet for families anyway.

Bubba Gumps gets a lot of bad reviews online and by word of mouth. I've never gone there because I don't eat that kind of food, so I can't give any first hand advice. The Ft Lauderdale beachfront (other than the upscale restaurants in the hotels) is known for average to below average food and service, so it's probably your best bet for families anyway.

Thanks for your advice.

And maybe something within Las Olas Blvd for my group?

Thanks for your advice.

And maybe something within Las Olas Blvd for my group?

You have a very large group. :) Cheesecake Factory is family friendly. Rocco's Tacos has a private room that holds about a dozen people. Timpano has private rooms. BAO might be able to get your whole group in the back room.

PR Cruisers, the closest on Las Olas to the beach is Chima Brazilan Steak house.

They will take your group of 22 with a reservation.

You will not be disappointed.

Its a half mile from the beach.

We love Chima but OP needs to be aware that it is not an inexpensive restaurant. I seem to remember around $50 a person.

OP - check out the website that explains the restaurant (http://chima.cc/site/) and give them a call if you're interested to check the prices.

We will be staying at the Hilton Garden Inn on Friday June 19th.

I have questions about 3 things.

1. What is the best way to watch the ships go out that evening? And how do we get there?

2. Are there any stores like Target or Walmart nearby to get wine, magazine, etc (basically anything we may have forgotten to pack)?

3. What is the best restaurant beach side near Las Olas, for dinner that evening?

Thanks!!!!

Holly :D

We love Chima but OP needs to be aware that it is not an inexpensive restaurant. I seem to remember around $50 a person.

OP - check out the website that explains the restaurant (http://chima.cc/site/) and give them a call if you're interested to check the prices.

$50 a person is definitely out of out budget [emoji15]

Thanks for the advice

We will be staying at the Hilton Garden Inn on Friday June 19th.

I have questions about 3 things.

1. What is the best way to watch the ships go out that evening? And how do we get there?

2. Are there any stores like Target or Walmart nearby to get wine, magazine, etc (basically anything we may have forgotten to pack)?

3. What is the best restaurant beach side near Las Olas, for dinner that evening?

Thanks!!!!

1. You can watch the ships go out from the 17th St bridge, Ft Lauderdale beach, or John Lloyd State Park. You can take a taxi or Uber. Expect to pay about $20-30 each way.

2. There is a Kmart across the street from the hotel.

3. Most of the beachfront restaurants near Las Olas are tourist traps with very mediocre food and service. The closest that is usually good is H2O. A really casual option is Lulu's Bait Shack in Beach Place. Some other good restaurants in that area are Sun Surf Sand, Beauty and the Feast, and Steak 954. Casablanca Café is another option, but the service and menu seems to be much better for lunch than dinner these days.

It seems that everything you want is at the beach., far from your hotel. Have you priced a room at Doubletree Bahia Mar? It's in the Hilton family.

Thanks!!!!

It seems that everything you want is at the beach., far from your hotel. Have you priced a room at Doubletree Bahia Mar? It's in the Hilton family.

If you go with the Bahia Mar as Royalcruz recommends try Coconuts for dinner. It is not beach front but on the intra-coastal. Good food and service and the prices are reasonable.

Oh we booked the cruise and park package so we get free breakfast and shuttle to the port. We just booked it based off that package without doing any research so I was hoping the hotel would be nice as well haha thanks again!

I had gotten the park/cruise rate and was told by hotel staff to just pay regular rate and get a taxi to port, as you pay per day for parking anyway. The cruise rate works out good only for people coming from the airport per hotel staff.

I had gotten the park/cruise rate and was told by hotel staff to just pay regular rate and get a taxi to port, as you pay per day for parking anyway. The cruise rate works out good only for people coming from the airport per hotel staff.

I called them the other day and parking is included in the park/cruise rate so you aren't paying any extra for the parking. However, we are changing our rate to the regular anyways because we have decided to fly.Thanks for the info tho!

Edited by haehaehaley

Best hotel to stay in FLL to leave our car parked while cruising. We've never been out of this port before. Thanks for any help you may give us!

I believe all of the Holiday Inn Expresses in the area have park and cruise packages with shuttle to the cruise. Some others are Cambria Suites, Crowne Plaza, Fairfield Inn, and Homewood Suites. These are all good. Rodeway Inn is often the cheapest, but it's an old motel (renovated) so not for the picky.

Is the Hyatt 17th a good place for a 3 day stay...is it a safe walking distance to the park to watch the ships sailaway? or would you recommend somewhere else /

Are you asking about Hyatt or Hyatt Place? Either are good.

The park where the ships go by is called John Lloyd State Park; it's on the south side of the port, and there are no hotels within walking distance.

It is walking distance from 17th St to the beach where the rocks are on the north side of the port, but I'm not sure how you get there without trespassing through private property. The only way I know there is total public access is through the South Beach Park, and that is about a mile from the port. I guess you could cut through Lago Mar Hotel without too much trouble, but not sure that's really allowed.

You can easily watch the ships go out from the 17th St. bridge.

We are staying at the Hyatt Regency Pier Sixty-Six in August the night before our cruise. Are there any good restaurants around that hotel that are good that we could try? We would prefer somewhere pretty close because we will have been driving all day and probably not want to go to far. Thanks!!
I'll be on the Oasis Aug 22. My niece and I are stay at the Hyatt too.

Are you asking about Hyatt or Hyatt Place? Either are good.

The park where the ships go by is called John Lloyd State Park; it's on the south side of the port, and there are no hotels within walking distance.

It is walking distance from 17th St to the beach where the rocks are on the north side of the port, but I'm not sure how you get there without trespassing through private property. The only way I know there is total public access is through the South Beach Park, and that is about a mile from the port. I guess you could cut through Lago Mar Hotel without too much trouble, but not sure that's really allowed.

You can easily watch the ships go out from the 17th St. bridge.

Looking at the Hyatt on 17th whats the comparison to the Hyatt Pier 66 to that like besides no free breakie;)

Edited by Zoolou

Looking at the Hyatt on 17th whats the comparison to the Hyatt Pier 66 to that like besides no free breakie;)

Hyatt Pier 66 is a 4 star multi-acre waterfront resort property with a spa and several restaurants. A day at the pool there is a treat because it's in a pretty tropical setting. As in most 4 star hotels, nothing is included.

Hyatt Place is a 3 star hotel surrounded by commercial properties. Your stay includes breakfast, wifi, and airport shuttle. There is a pool but it's not fancy.