Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ Part 2

Host Kat

Royal Princess is a beautiful ship. I haven't done a full report. The entertainers were fabulous and there were always so many activities to choose from in the evenings. They have a great buffet. Dining room food and service was nothing special on anytime dining. Alfredos (free) was very good as was the steakhouse. We had a regular veranda cabin and it had a very large tv right across from the bed with lots of free on-demand movies (I love that!). I am 50 and was one of the youngest people on the ship. The wine bar tends to get a younger crowd but when I say younger I mean 50s. If you sail November through February this seems to be the demographic...it may be much different in the spring and summer.

We are just a year or two from 50 - so I think we will be okay.

We sailed on Grandeur of the Seas to NE/Canada from Baltimore a few years ago, and were the youngest on the ship by probably 25 years. It was almost eerie - we'd walk across the pool deck or through the Centrum after 9pm, and there was NO ONE out. We are sailing late October, so probably will experience that demographic too - which is fine.

Glad you liked Royal Princess. I am looking forward to trying it.

Upon returning from our Regal Princess cruise April 17th our flights don't leave until after 7:00 pm. Are there any day room hotels on the beach?

Nope. I suggest you use a service to send luggage to the airport and spend the day at Beach Place. There is beach, restaurants, public restrooms.

I would like to shower before I get on the plane.

You can check into a room at 3 or 4 PM if the room is ready and get your shower. That would be a very expensive shower though, in April, starting at about $250 plus tax.

• 5 weeks later...

Good Morning!

My son has decided to join us for our Freedom cruise in January. BUT, he will have to fly to FLL Saturday night and we will meet him Sunday morning and go to the ship together (work schedules- ugh!).

He is 22, so I know he can stay in a hotel alone, but I am looking for recommendations for something at or very close to the airport that does have a shuttle. We will drop our rental car off that morning at FLL airport and we will pick him up.

Clean, safe, very easy access to/from airport. A place to eat nearby - or something on site would be great, too.

Edited by Marylandteachergirl

Good Morning!

My son has decided to join us for our Freedom cruise in January. BUT, he will have to fly to FLL Saturday night and we will meet him Sunday morning and go to the ship together (work schedules- ugh!).

He is 22, so I know he can stay in a hotel alone, but I am looking for recommendations for something at or very close to the airport that does have a shuttle. We will drop our rental car off that morning at FLL airport and we will pick him up.

Clean, safe, very easy access to/from airport. A place to eat nearby - or something on site would be great, too.

the Marriott fairfield in is near the airport and has a free airport shuttle. the rates are good (about $109/night) and there is free WiFi and breakfast. we had rooms booked there before we got a great deal on rooms at the hyatt pier 66 for the same price and decided to switch. there is a shuttle to the nearby mall with a lot of places to eat. hope this helps

matt

I'm trying to book a hotel in FLL for Feb 2017 one night precruise (2/17/17) and the rates are astronimically high. I know it's early to book yet but wondering if rates will go down.

February is high season and that (2/17/2017) is the Friday at the beginning of Presidents Day weekend (the busiest weekend in February) and winter vacation week for many public schools in the the northeast (and other areas of the US). Find something you can live with that you can cancel without a penalty and then watch the prices from now to the beginning of 2017. If you are lucky you may find something cheaper; alternatively prices may increase and you will have 'saved' money by reserving early.

Good Morning!

There are no hotels at the airport. Holiday Inn Express Hotels on SR 84 and on SE 17th St are very close to the port/airport and have complimentary shuttles from the airport. Your son can walk to eateries from there. The neighborhood on SE 17th St is nicer than the other one. They both include breakfast in the price. Hotels are VERY expensive next January. The lowest cost good enough option would probably be Rodeway Inn, but read the reviews to see if it is good enough for your son; if I was on a budget I'd stay there for a one night stay...free shuttles and breakfast and there is a restaurant on site.

Edited by royalcruz

We found a pretty good rate for Best Western Airport. Prices ARE high. Maybe I better book it now.

Thanks!!!

I don't think we will do Rodeway, though.

There are 2 BW airport hotels, one on SR 84 near the HIE that I mentioned, and one on Stirling Rd in Dania Beach. The one on SR 84 will be closer for you to pick him up from if you are staying in Ft Lauderdale or north of there.

Edited by royalcruz

We found a pretty good rate for Best Western Airport. Prices ARE high. Maybe I better book it now.

Thanks!!!

I don't think we will do Rodeway, though.

One of the other boards suggested valuetrips dot com

They offer the Hyatt Place @ 17th Street including shuttle to the hotel and breakfast.

Went ahead and booked Hyatt Place through Valuetrips. I can always change/cancel reservation later if something better goes on sale, but it seems a good fit for one night with stores nearby in case he forgets something.

Thank you, as always, for all of the great suggestions!!!!

Happy weekend everyone. :cool:

We are sailing on Allure in early June. Arriving Friday afternoon and spending Friday evening and all day Saturday seeing the sights. We are staying at the GalleryOne, and are thinking of cancelling our rental car. We know we will cab from FLL to the hotel, but once there, can we easily use a mixture of SunTrolley, Water Taxi and cabs? Things we would like to do include:

- a little beach time - probably just walk from the hotel across the bridge to the beach

- eat at some good local seafood spots - Coconuts type places. Recommendations welcome.

- Do an Everglades tour

- Watch the ships sail out Saturday around 5pm

Realistically, can we ditch the car? We would cab it to the port, since we are kind of control freaks when it comes to getting to the port early.

We are sailing on Allure in early June. Arriving Friday afternoon and spending Friday evening and all day Saturday seeing the sights. We are staying at the GalleryOne, and are thinking of cancelling our rental car. We know we will cab from FLL to the hotel, but once there, can we easily use a mixture of SunTrolley, Water Taxi and cabs? Things we would like to do include:

- a little beach time - probably just walk from the hotel across the bridge to the beach

- eat at some good local seafood spots - Coconuts type places. Recommendations welcome.

- Do an Everglades tour

Realistically, can we ditch the car? We would cab it to the port, since we are kind of control freaks when it comes to getting to the port early.

You can also uber it around.

Both the Best Western on SR 84 and Hyatt Place through Valuetrips are about $189. Is one better than the other, it would you all consider it about even?

Hyatt Place is MUCH better than BW. They don't offer a free airport shuttle anymore though, but they offer a very low fee shuttle. I didn't suggest it because I thought this was for your Jan2017 cruise and they don't have rates or dates posted yet on Valuetrips.

Edited by royalcruz

- Do an Everglades tour

You really don't need a car in the local area. Just use Uber or your other options above to get around the area. However, if you are really intent on doing an Everglades tour, know that there are no low cost transportation options to get there...it will be very expensive.

There are not really a lot of great local seafood spots. Coconuts is a great choice. Also check out Aruba, Boatyard, and Sea Watch.

Hyatt Place is MUCH better than BW. They don't offer a free airport shuttle anymore though, but they offer a very low fee shuttle. I didn't suggest it because I thought this was for your Jan2017 cruise and they don't have rates or dates posted yet on Valuetrips.

It IS the Jan. 2017 cruise - (son added just last week) and Valuetrips let me choose 2017. Not sure it's a great rate, but I think that's MLK weekend, so prices are going to be high anyway. We are driving down that morning from a week in Orlando and will pick him up on the way to cruise terminal. Since he is coming, now I have to kennel our dogs. Sigh.... but probably one of the last family vacations where we will all be together since he is a real grown up now. ;)

The shuttle fee on Hyatt Place's website says ride from airport to hotel is $2. Very reasonable.

Hmm, still haven't received the confirmation e-mail, but it says up to 3 days to receive and it's only been 10 hours. Hope it's all okay since I put my cc info in. I see that Jan 2017 isn't listed, but it still let me reserve. Guess I can call the hotel next week to verify booking if I don't hear anything.

Edited by Marylandteachergirl

It IS the Jan. 2017 cruise - (son added just last week) and Valuetrips let me choose 2017. Not sure it's a great rate, but I think that's MLK weekend, so prices are going to be high anyway. We are driving down that morning from a week in Orlando and will pick him up on the way to cruise terminal. Since he is coming, now I have to kennel our dogs. Sigh.... but probably one of the last family vacations where we will all be together since he is a real grown up now. ;)

The shuttle fee on Hyatt Place's website says ride from airport to hotel is $2. Very reasonable.

Hmm, still haven't received the confirmation e-mail, but it says up to 3 days to receive and it's only been 10 hours. Hope it's all okay since I put my cc info in. I see that Jan 2017 isn't listed, but it still let me reserve. Guess I can call the hotel next week to verify booking if I don't hear anything.

$189 for Hyatt Place in January is an excellent price! :)

Royalcruz you are so helpful on this board maybe once more, lol. Are there two Hyatt Place to choose from down there? The one on valuetrips shows address of 17th St convention center on 10th Ave FLL and the one on Expedia shows 91 SW 18th Ave Dania Beach and both say airport/cruise port. Two years ago we stayed at Springhill Suites in Dania Beach and there was a Hyatt Place next to it and I was thinking that was the only one, maybe not. Thanks for any help.

Royalcruz you are so helpful on this board maybe once more, lol. Are there two Hyatt Place to choose from down there? The one on valuetrips shows address of 17th St convention center on 10th Ave FLL and the one on Expedia shows 91 SW 18th Ave Dania Beach and both say airport/cruise port. Two years ago we stayed at Springhill Suites in Dania Beach and there was a Hyatt Place next to it and I was thinking that was the only one, maybe not. Thanks for any help.

Yes, there are 2 Hyatt Places near the airport/port. The one on 17th St is in Ft Lauderdale near the port and convention center and it used to be Amerisuites a long time ago. The newer one on SW 18th Ave is in Dania Beach south of the airport, near Springhill Suites.

Yes, there are 2 Hyatt Places near the airport/port. The one on 17th St is in Ft Lauderdale near the port and convention center and it used to be Amerisuites a long time ago. The newer one on SW 18th Ave is in Dania Beach south of the airport, near Springhill Suites.

Is one better than the other?