Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ Part 2

Host Kat

My flight gets into Fll early. Riverside checkin is 3pm, does anyone know if the are able to store luggage so we can view the area.

Thanks for the help.

Most hotels store luggage for early arriving guests but to be on the safe side, call the hotel and confirm that they do so.

We will be returning from our cruise on Jan 2 in the morning. Our flight out isn't it not ill 830 pm. What can we plan to do?any suggestions

There are lots of possibilities.

• The Renaissance Hotel and the Rodeway Inn both offer day rooms (and access to all hotel facilities like the pool, etc.). The former is a much nicer hotel than the latter but many folks say Rodeway is fine for a day room.

• Alternatively, you could rent a car, store your luggage in the trunk and go sightseeing. For attractions (including beaches and shopping) and transportation check out www.sunny.org. Other popular websites (which are included on that one) are the water taxi (www.watertaxi.com) and the sun trolley (www.suntrolley.com) and the Las Olas Blvd neighborhood (www.lasolasboulevard.com).

• If you don't rent a car and don't use the cruise line's luggage valet program, there is luggage storage in each terminal (www.bagstogo.net). If you are departing on a Saturday or Sunday you could then catch the free sun trolley from the airport into town.

I will be in FLL with my dd22 on December 26, a Saturday, a day before my dh and ds arrive as well as my mom and sisters family, party of 11.

We are staying at Embassy Suites. What exactly is this water taxi that others talk about. Im looking to do something with my dd after we relax at the pool for a while...probably dinner time.

Dont want to spend too much but dont mind spending some to do something to keep us busy.

Also we will be eating at Duffys with our family of 11 on December 27 before our cruise but where can my dd and I have a Mexican or casual meal with some drinks?

Thanks.

There is a Mexican restaurant next to Embassy Suites called Carlos & Pepes.

Does anyone know anything about Extended Stay America Cypress Creek, Ft Lauderdale? We're thinking off booking there, wondering if it was a decent place? By decent I mean clean rooms, safe area.

You might get noise from I-95 and the train there. It's not a high crime neighborhood. You need a car if you stay there.

Today 12/27/15 both Royal Princess & Emerald Princess are at Port Everglades Terminal 2 (looks like Royal @ pier 2 + Emerald @ pier 4). For past B2B cruises with different ships - we've taken a taxi from Terminal 2 to Terminal 21, 25, etc., no problem. But - my question is - how best to get from Royal to Emerald when both ships are (sort of) at the same terminal? Seems too close for a taxi, is schlepping luggage do-able -or- can a well tipped porter assist from ship to ship with 2 checked/2 carry-on luggage items? Appreciate info from those that have had the same situation Princess to Princess at Terminal 2 Port Everglades.

Today 12/27/15 both Royal Princess & Emerald Princess are at Port Everglades Terminal 2 (looks like Royal @ pier 2 + Emerald @ pier 4). For past B2B cruises with different ships - we've taken a taxi from Terminal 2 to Terminal 21, 25, etc., no problem. But - my question is - how best to get from Royal to Emerald when both ships are (sort of) at the same terminal? Seems too close for a taxi, is schlepping luggage do-able -or- can a well tipped porter assist from ship to ship with 2 checked/2 carry-on luggage items? Appreciate info from those that have had the same situation Princess to Princess at Terminal 2 Port Everglades.

I'm not sure about the porters, but they probably can assist. I'm sure that you can manage the walk though, as 2 and 4 and right next to each other on a corner and use the same parking garage.

"I'm not sure about the porters, but they probably can assist. I'm sure that you can manage the walk though, as 2 and 4 and right next to each other on a corner and use the same parking garage".-----------------------------------

royalcruz - Thanks for your prompt reply. We probably won't have the same Terminal/Pier situation as today for Royal on 2/8 ... but if so we'll try a porter assist.

"I'm not sure about the porters, but they probably can assist. I'm sure that you can manage the walk though, as 2 and 4 and right next to each other on a corner and use the same parking garage".-----------------------------------

royalcruz - Thanks for your prompt reply. We probably won't have the same Terminal/Pier situation as today for Royal on 2/8 ... but if so we'll try a porter assist.

We'll see you on the Royal on 2/8!

Hello royalcruz and all others here! Happy almost New Year!

Finally have all three legs of our flights booked for our Allure cruise in May. Now I have a transportation question...

I will need transportation from the FLL airport TO GalleryOne Doubletree, then from hotel to cruise port the next morning, and from port after cruise back to airport a week later.

Would you just rely on a taxi for all three legs, or should I look for a shuttle service that could do three trips? I see some here recommend QLS. I think there is a Go Airport shuttle. And, what's the easiest way back to airport after the cruise? Our flight isn't until 2, so we will miss some of the earliest crush/madness I hope. Not sure... any other suggestions?

Thank you again, for all the exceptional advice you provide!!

Edited by Marylandteachergirl

Flying in on a Friday AM to FLL and boarding Oasis on a Saturday... October 2016

4 adults ages 38-42 leaving our kids at home....

Ideas of where to stay and what to do on Friday? Two of the adults never been to FLL. We are definitely the bar hopping type. Hotel ideas with transportation to the port on Saturday am. We would like to keep the hotel under 200.00/night. I know we would like to do a short water taxi tour. Any point of interested of where to go by water taxi or the trolley?

My husband and I were did this about 6 years ago with our son who was 4 at the time, before the Indy of the Seas cruise but none of us can remember the hotel. All we remember is that it stunk and a movie with Robert Dinero (i think) was filmed in the bar... Regardless don't want to stay there again.

Does FLL have Uber? and can they go to the cruise port?

Edited by klstiger

Flying in on a Friday AM to FLL and boarding Oasis on a Saturday... October 2016

Ideas of where to stay and what to do on Friday? Two of the adults never been to FLL. We are definitely the bar hopping type. Hotel ideas with transportation to the port on Saturday am. We would like to keep the hotel under 200.00/night. I know we would like to do a short water taxi tour. Any point of interested of where to go by water taxi or the trolley?

My husband and I were did this about 6 years ago with our son who was 4 at the time, before the Indy of the Seas cruise but none of us can remember the hotel. All we remember is that it stunk and a movie with Robert Dinero (i think) was filmed in the bar... Regardless don't want to stay there again.

Check out the Riverside Hotel on Las Olas Blvd - lots of bars and restaurants nearby, a very short walk to a water taxi stop, and on the sun trolley route to the beach.

Fort Lauderdale does have Uber and it can be used to/from Port Everglades and to/from the airport.

For info on attractions, check out http://www.sunny.org.

Edited by capriccio

Check out the Riverside Hotel on Las Olas Blvd - lots of bars and restaurants nearby, a very short walk to a water taxi stop, and on the sun trolley route to the beach.

Fort Lauderdale does have Uber and it can be used to/from Port Everglades and to/from the airport.

For info on attractions, check out http://www.sunny.org.

Thank you for the quick response! Can you see the cruise dock from this hotel?

Thank you for the quick response! Can you see the cruise dock from this hotel?

No. If you want to see Port Everglades look into the Hyatt Pier 66, the Hilton Marina and maybe (I'm not 100% certain about the view) the Renaissance. I do think that the Riverside is in a much better location for bar and restaurant hopping! Check out http://www.lasolasboulevard.com for info on that area.

Edited by capriccio

Hello royalcruz and all others here! Happy almost New Year!

Finally have all three legs of our flights booked for our Allure cruise in May. Now I have a transportation question...

I will need transportation from the FLL airport TO GalleryOne Doubletree, then from hotel to cruise port the next morning, and from port after cruise back to airport a week later.

Would you just rely on a taxi for all three legs, or should I look for a shuttle service that could do three trips? I see some here recommend QLS. I think there is a Go Airport shuttle. And, what's the easiest way back to airport after the cruise? Our flight isn't until 2, so we will miss some of the earliest crush/madness I hope. Not sure... any other suggestions?

Thank you again, for all the exceptional advice you provide!!

Taxi, Taxi and Taxi (in that order!). Unless there are more than 4 of you and/or a lot of bags.

We have done it three times. Once we used a shuttle from Gallery one to the port and it was more expensive than a taxi (but it was a nice mercedes van and we had it to ourselves!)

We are first timers to FLL as well and have just booked Galt Villas Inn on North Ocean Blvd for $150/night. While I agree it's not your Hilton or any other top hotels or even a budget motel like Super 8 (looks like its an old hotel), it does have very good reviews on TripAdvisor and since you'll will most likely be bar hopping and probably just going to sleep it should be sufficient. Im picky when it comes to cleanliness and this hotel fit our needs with budget/cleanliness. Our trip is in January so will update once we're back.

Taxi, Taxi and Taxi (in that order!). Unless there are more than 4 of you and/or a lot of bags.

We have done it three times. Once we used a shuttle from Gallery one to the port and it was more expensive than a taxi (but it was a nice mercedes van and we had it to ourselves!)

That was my initial thought - then someone said a taxi would be too expensive TO the port because the meter runs if there is still a traffic mess from the previous weeks' cruisers departing.

Then another person said the taxis in FLL are not all safe???

I assumed I could get a taxi right outside the airport and same from hotel and same from cruise. May end up calling RC in the morning to see if they just have a shuttle back to the airport. We did that last month from Port Canaveral, and it was pretty seamless.

That was my initial thought - then someone said a taxi would be too expensive TO the port because the meter runs if there is still a traffic mess from the previous weeks' cruisers departing.

Then another person said the taxis in FLL are not all safe???

I assumed I could get a taxi right outside the airport and same from hotel and same from cruise. May end up calling RC in the morning to see if they just have a shuttle back to the airport. We did that last month from Port Canaveral, and it was pretty seamless.

Taxis in FLL are not unsafe; it just depends upon the driver you get, no different than in any other city in the world.

To the hotel and to the port I would recommend taxi or Uber App (cheaper than taxi). Yes, taxis cost more when there is traffic, and believe me there has been a lot of traffic lately! From the port to FLL just get a taxi in the taxi line...it's only about $10-15 per taxi while shuttles charge per person, cost more, and you'll have to wait for it to fill up and it will be less comfortable.

You must stay at the Riverside Hotel! The water taxi is a block away and it's on Las Olas Blvd where all the cool kids hang out...lots of really nice bars (check out YOLO, American Social, Royal Pig, Big City)! AND under $200 a night for October!!! Sorry there's no port view but this is where you want to be, NOT the port area for barhopping.

The hotel you stayed in 6 yrs ago was the Sheraton Yankee Clipper...it is now the B Ocean.

Yes, we have Uber and they do go to the cruise port. I would suggest using them to get to the port, but just get a taxi to the airport after the cruise (it's a really short inexpensive ride, and there may not be Uber drivers nearby the port when you need them).

Edited by royalcruz

We are first timers to FLL as well and have just booked Galt Villas Inn on North Ocean Blvd for $150/night. While I agree it's not your Hilton or any other top hotels or even a budget motel like Super 8 (looks like its an old hotel), it does have very good reviews on TripAdvisor and since you'll will most likely be bar hopping and probably just going to sleep it should be sufficient. Im picky when it comes to cleanliness and this hotel fit our needs with budget/cleanliness. Our trip is in January so will update once we're back.

Firsttimecruiser, I know you are trying to be helpful, but the bars in the Galt Villas area mostly attract a middle aged and older crowd and it's no where near the water taxi. The only ones I would recommend are Bokampers Sports Bar, or maybe Blue Jean Blues if you are at least 50. The restaurants in that area are good though. It's also at least a $35 ride from the airport/to the port.

Taxis in FLL are not unsafe; it just depends upon the driver you get, no different than in any other city in the world.

To the hotel and to the port I would recommend taxi or Uber App (cheaper than taxi). Yes, taxis cost more when there is traffic, and believe me there has been a lot of traffic lately! From the port to FLL just get a taxi in the taxi line...it's only about $10-15 per taxi while shuttles charge per person, cost more, and you'll have to wait for it to fill up and it will be less comfortable.

*Would you suggest getting to the ship later rather than earlier to avoid some of the traffic congestion?

I have a shuttle quote of $110 for airport to hotel and from ship to airport. I was planning to just take a taxi to the ship after we check out from hotel. Do you think all taxis would be less than that?

I think RC also has transfer service available?? From the ship...