Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ Part 2

Host Kat

There is a pan-Asian restaurant Nanking in the hotel. The food is good, so as long as you don't expect much from the service it's fine. You don't have to dress up there...country club casual to dinner wear is what you'll see.

The next closest places are about a block or two away at the Quay, so bring your brolly:

Bravo Italiano (table service, inexpensive to moderate)

Pei Wei, Shula Burger, Chipotle (all counter service)

Boatyard is also in that center, but it is expensive.

Fortunately, it didn't rain on us but we wound up at Giorgio's... Owner/manager and staff were super. Could get anything from dinners to sandwiches to brick oven pizza but it didn't have the feel of a pizza joint. In fact, I liked the atmosphere for what it was and I'd go again for a casual place to eat. Seemed as if they had repeat customers dining in as well. This is in the same area you mention above.

We will be arriving on Saturday, Jan.9 prior to a Jan.10 departure and will be staying at Hyatt Place 17th Street Convention Center. Can you suggest a place for dinner that is within comfortable walking distance, no more than a mile? My DH has limited taste which means Italian, American or Seafood. Prefer a quiet, table service place that is not a national chain and doesn't have TV's everywhere you look. We like to visit local restaurants.

Hopefully I have not narrowed it so far that there is nothing left.

Thanks for your help.

Linda

Fortunately, it didn't rain on us but we wound up at Giorgio's... Owner/manager and staff were super. Could get anything from dinners to sandwiches to brick oven pizza but it didn't have the feel of a pizza joint. In fact, I liked the atmosphere for what it was and I'd go again for a casual place to eat. Seemed as if they had repeat customers dining in as well. This is in the same area you mention above.

I'm glad the rain stopped. The 17th St shopping center parking lots flood quickly so you were lucky. I think it's been raining at my house nonstop for 3 days!:eek:

We will be arriving on Saturday, Jan.9 prior to a Jan.10 departure and will be staying at Hyatt Place 17th Street Convention Center. Can you suggest a place for dinner that is within comfortable walking distance, no more than a mile? My DH has limited taste which means Italian, American or Seafood. Prefer a quiet, table service place that is not a national chain and doesn't have TV's everywhere you look. We like to visit local restaurants.

Hopefully I have not narrowed it so far that there is nothing left.

Thanks for your help.

Linda

Quiet will be the hardest thing on your list to find. Try these (i've listed them from least expensive to most expensive):

Bravo Italiano

Giorgio's

15th St Fisheries (it's a full mile but maybe you can walk one way and taxi one way)

Market 17

Bistro Mezzaluna

Quiet will be the hardest thing on your list to find. Try these (i've listed them from least expensive to most expensive):

Bravo Italiano

Giorgio's

15th St Fisheries (it's a full mile but maybe you can walk one way and taxi one way)

Market 17

Bistro Mezzaluna

Sharon, thank you for your suggestions. I am sure we will find something there that will be just what we want. I hope you realize the wonderful service you provide to the traveling public. You take all of the angst out of a trip to Ft. Lauderdale. I know I will love my hotel (a suggestion you made to others) and dinner will be great,

Linda

Sharon, thank you for your suggestions. I am sure we will find something there that will be just what we want. I hope you realize the wonderful service you provide to the traveling public. You take all of the angst out of a trip to Ft. Lauderdale. I know I will love my hotel (a suggestion you made to others) and dinner will be great,

Linda

Wow. I am so touched by your appreciation. :)

I would like to also thank you. The time you have spent and comments/opinions you have given have helped SO many people plan their FLL pre/post cruise trips. Thank you for all you do!

You are soooooooooooo sweet!

You and taxlady made my day!:)

We are flying into FLL 1/22/16 for a trip out of POM 1/23/16. We don't land until 10:00pm and are being picked up at 9:30am the next day for POM. I was looking at the motel 6 Fort Lauderdale on 84. We don't have high expectations. We will only be there for 10 hours. We just need a bed and shower. Our group is 6 adults and 5 kids. Anyone have 1sy hand experience here? Once again just looking for a cheap bed and shower for 10 hours!!!! Thanks

We are flying into FLL 1/22/16 for a trip out of POM 1/23/16. We don't land until 10:00pm and are being picked up at 9:30am the next day for POM. I was looking at the motel 6 Fort Lauderdale on 84. We don't have high expectations. We will only be there for 10 hours. We just need a bed and shower. Our group is 6 adults and 5 kids. Anyone have 1sy hand experience here? Once again just looking for a cheap bed and shower for 10 hours!!!! Thanks

I forgot to add....I'm trying to stay within 3 miles of airport for QLS to pick us up in the am.

Love change (not really!)

Our Allure cruise in May is good to go, BUT it appears RCCL has chartered our cruise on Brilliance for Jan. 2017. The plan WAS to spend a few days in Orlando then travel to Tampa to sail. Now, it looks like we will sail on Freedom from Port Everglades - driving down early in the morning the day of sailing,.

We will have a rental car from the Orlando airport. Does anyone have experience dropping off in FLL - and would you recommend dropping off at the port (what company is closest? )Or, the FLL airport and taking some type of shuttle or taxi? Can one driver drop the other four people off w/luggage then go return the rental car, or are there security prohibitions against this inside the port?

Again, thank you for any and all helpful suggestions!

Edited by Marylandteachergirl

Love change (not really!)

Our Allure cruise in May is good to go, BUT it appears RCCL has chartered our cruise on Brilliance for Jan. 2017. The plan WAS to spend a few days in Orlando then travel to Tampa to sail. Now, it looks like we will sail on Freedom from Port Everglades - driving down early in the morning the day of sailing,.

We will have a rental car from the Orlando airport. Does anyone have experience dropping off in FLL - and would you recommend dropping off at the port (what company is closest? )Or, the FLL airport and taking some type of shuttle or taxi? Can one driver drop the other four people off w/luggage then go return the rental car, or are there security prohibitions against this inside the port?

Again, thank you for any and all helpful suggestions!

Yes, you can drop everybody off first but make sure everybody has boarding passes and passports, including the driver. The airport is just 2-3 miles from the port and most companies have locations even closer to the port. Do a google map search of any companies you are considering and you should be able to find them.

Advice needed please... I'm staying one night pre-cruise at the B Ocean Resort. Is there anywhere good within walking distance for dinner?

Also I'm planning to get a taxi to Port Everglades - do you have any recommendations on what time I should go and roughly how much it would cost?

Many thanks in advance

Yes, you can drop everybody off first but make sure everybody has boarding passes and passports, including the driver. The airport is just 2-3 miles from the port and most companies have locations even closer to the port. Do a google map search of any companies you are considering and you should be able to find them.

Again, thank you, thank you, thank you! Just when I thought I had everything planned. :)

Seems many people do one way rentals w/ drop off in FLL, so I think we will be okay, and the drive from Orlando is pretty straightforward.

I think it's a bit too soon to book our rental car.

Advice needed please... I'm staying one night pre-cruise at the B Ocean Resort. Is there anywhere good within walking distance for dinner?

Also I'm planning to get a taxi to Port Everglades - do you have any recommendations on what time I should go and roughly how much it would cost?

Many thanks in advance

Restaurant - Coconuts is a fun, casual restaurant on the intracoastal less than 1/2 mile north of the B Ocean. The food is very good too! http://coconutsfortlauderdale.com/

Cab timing - be aware that the 17th Street bridge opens upon demand on the hour and half hour so time you ride to depart B Ocean on the quarter hours (or so) to avoid potentially sitting in (and paying for the privilege) traffic.

Cab cost - The cost will depend on which terminal you are going to and how backed up security is at the port entrance but it should be less than $20. It is less than 2 miles (about a 5 minute drive) to the Eisenhower Ave entrance of Port Everglades. If you are on Princess, the terminals (#2 and #4) are just past the entrance. Other terminals are further on. http://www.porteverglades.net/includes/content/docs/media/PEG545_MultiMapBrochure_Map_REVISED-Feb-17-2015.pdf

At the Embassy Suites in Ft. Lauderdale, is there an airport shuttle? I seem to recall last I stayed there 2 years ago we got one, but I see no reference to it on their site. I read in this thread that they have a paid port shuttle, but I don't see reference to the airport shuttle.

Stayed at Embassy Suites last Jan and there was no airport shuttle. There was a for fee port shuttle.

• 2 weeks later...

I will be in FLL with my dd22 on December 26, a Saturday, a day before my dh and ds arrive as well as my mom and sisters family, party of 11.

We are staying at Embassy Suites. What exactly is this water taxi that others talk about. Im looking to do something with my dd after we relax at the pool for a while...probably dinner time.

Dont want to spend too much but dont mind spending some to do something to keep us busy.

Also we will be eating at Duffys with our family of 11 on December 27 before our cruise but where can my dd and I have a Mexican or casual meal with some drinks?

Thanks.

We are staying at Embassy Suites. What exactly is this water taxi that others talk about. Im looking to do something with my dd after we relax at the pool for a while...probably dinner time.

Dont want to spend too much but dont mind spending some to do something to keep us busy.

Thanks.

Check out the water taxi website (http://www.watertaxi.com). It is a hop on/hop off boat service and the captain provides a running commentary as you pass the mega mansions and mega yachts of Fort Lauderdale. The nearest stop is 1 mile from the Embassy Suites at the Hilton Marina Hotel (under the 17th Street bridge). You can walk it or take a cab/Uber. I think the last sun trolley (http://www.suntrolley) is around 6:30 so that might not work. If you leave earlier you can catch the sun trolley at its terminus behind the Embassy Suites in the Harbor Shops shopping center. You would still have to walk or take a cab/Uber back from the water taxi.

Flying into FLL on January 1st for a RCL cruise on Jan 3rd. Just 2 of us, no car.

Been browsing through hotels, but I just can't decide which one, as I have no idea what the area's like at all. Seems like a lot of hotels are sold out by now.

Looking for a nice pool, breakfast would be nice. Close to restaurants/shopping. I'd normally think wifi is a given, but I'm seeing a bunch of hotels charging extra.. Trying to stay in the $250-400 range.

Hilton Marina looks alright, but no breakfast or wifi. Anything else in the area I should look at?

Thanks!

We always stay at the Hilton Marina, however Embassy Suites is just up the road. They serve breakfast. Do not know their policy with wifi

I keep seeing mixed reviews about the Hilton Marina, but it seems decent enough for a 2 night stay.

Is the area walkable enough to get to shopping/restaurants? I think I see a small mall nearby. Can we walk to the beach, or do we need to take the water taxi?

They have a shuttle that will take you to the besch. The water taxi is right there also. It is safe to walk

There is a shopping center and restaurants with in walking distance.

The hotel itself seems to be in a constant flux.

Another transportation possibility is the sun trolley (http://www.suntrolley.com). The Beach Link goes right past the Hilton Marina and you can't beat the price ($1/ride or $3/day pass) - and you can transfer to the Las Olas Link to explore Las Olas Blvd.