Are Preventive Noro Practices Effective?

fabby50

That would probably have been Salmonella‎, not norovirus.

Actually, noro can be transmitted on ready to eat food like produce, since that is a contact surface as well. However, given the normal practice of sanitizing all fruit and produce before service, it has become far less of a source of contamination (but, yes, Salacia, still a source, as I've never discounted). However, for a waiter to say this is pure BS. To determine the source requires an epidemiological study, as the CDC does, to determine if things like produce were eaten commonly by early patients, what dining rooms, what days, and other factors like cabin clusters, etc. And that takes time, and more time to get back to the ship with a report.

And for the other poster, no, the delay in boarding was to clean the ship, as they would probably have consumed nearly all the fresh produce from SA by the time the trip ended, and any left would be sanitized, not destroyed, unless it had been proven to be the source.

The reason you got no lemons or limes is due to the high price and shortage of limes, not anything to do with noro.

The reason you got no lemons or limes is due to the high price and shortage of limes, not anything to do with noro.

I had heard this rumor also previous to the cruise, but the waiter specifically said "because of the problem." And later in the cruise -- after code red was lifted -- lemons and limes were freely available once again. Since the rumor you have repeated has gone rampant, I wonder if we know the source?

I had heard this rumor also previous to the cruise, but the waiter specifically said "because of the problem." And later in the cruise -- after code red was lifted -- lemons and limes were freely available once again. Since the rumor you have repeated has gone rampant, I wonder if we know the source?

Can't say for sure whether the lines are cutting back on limes due to high price, but just look at the RCI and Carnival forums for threads about lime shortages.

This thread has some quotes from various news sources, again can't vouch for veracity:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2014426

Lemons and limes, like all citrus fruit, is easily sanitized onboard using a chlorine solution (pretty much standard practice), so not sure why they would stop serving them during a noro outbreak.

Lemons and limes, like all citrus fruit, is easily sanitized onboard using a chlorine solution (pretty much standard practice), so not sure why they would stop serving them during a noro outbreak.
So are the whole apples and pears on board treated with that same solution? I've asked headwaiters in the buffet and been told that they've been washed but I should wash them again before eating them. Taking a piece of fruit into a bathroom to wash and dry it seems, to me, to invite more trouble than simply wiping it with a napkin, but I'm never sure that's enough.

So are the whole apples and pears on board treated with that same solution? I've asked headwaiters in the buffet and been told that they've been washed but I should wash them again before eating them. Taking a piece of fruit into a bathroom to wash and dry it seems, to me, to invite more trouble than simply wiping it with a napkin, but I'm never sure that's enough.

The kitchen washes the fruit per CDC instructions, BUT we don't know how many passengers, who haven't washed their hands, have handled the fruit in the baskets! You know how they love looking for the perfect piece of lettuce before selection.:rolleyes:

Yes, generally all ready to eat fruits and vegetables, including salad makings are sanitized before use. It is a 60 second dunk in a chlorine solution, and then rinsed. Don't want to comment on picking out your perfect lettuce by hand, or how many contaminated people have handled the fruit in the bowl, but you "just can't coach stupid".

No.

Whenever Princess goes to code red the lemon/lime slices are not included with the drinks that normally have them.

My guess is because the slices require touching before they make it to the drinks.

No.

Whenever Princess goes to code red the lemon/lime slices are not included with the drinks that normally have them.

My guess is because the slices require touching before they make it to the drinks.

Quite right, and my mind blanks right now as to how we used to deal with bar service (senior moments are a b****). But the bar staff should be gloved at this time, so it should not be an actual problem, maybe just a further precaution. Will have to think some more on that.

Do you wipe it down again after the cabin has been serviced (cabin steward, repair person, etc.)?

Yes we wipe down the room after it’s been serviced on the first day. Whenever we stay at a motel we do the same thing, wipe down everything.

Or e-coli, shigellosis or listeria. Fruit skins can carry noro since its contact transferred, but they are actually not a very good medium for that particular virus.

That would probably have been Salmonella‎, not norovirus.

So, some reviews have been posted about what is now being called the "Crown Noro Cruise" since it got so much press.

We were on the cruise, had a good time, found somethings annoying, but to us, the cruise was certainly not as bad as the reviews that have been posted make it out to be.

It did make me start to ponder a question and I wondered if anyone had seen any information published about it.

Are the practices the cruise lines are employing actually effective? Does not letting people touch salt shakers, have a bread basket on the table, etc., do any good? I realize to use the scientific method, they'd have to try each one of these things individually, but I just wonder if overall, once noro is detected do employing these tactics actually work OR is what works is that flu season runs it's course and not only do people on land stop sharing their various flu viruses, but people on ships do too.

One of the things for exampe I got a kick out of was if you asked for coffee in the speciality restaurant, each indivdual got a pot of coffee. My husband and I could share a bed, but don't touch my coffee pot :)

Are the cruise lines just employing these methods because they make people feel like something is being done, but it really doesn't have much/any effect? Kind of like the "duck and cover" campaign of my school days. Did we really think huddling under our desks was going to save us from an atomic attack?

I found the way one of the reviews ends with "someone owes us some money" amusing. I wonder if they do get a cash reward for the grousing, if they'll use it book another cruise during flu season?

Noro on a Emirates Super Airbus A-380- 60 kids sick:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2620485/Sixty-children-treated-paramedics-falling-ill-flight-Dubai-London.html

article-2620485-1D956D9A00000578-490_634x444.jpg

That article indicates an outbreak of gastrointestinal illness...the cause of which as yet to be determined. Are we going to post any and all outbreaks of gastrointestional illness just to support the concept that outbreaks on cruise ships aren't of major concern? Because I think that is likely to backfire.

That article indicates an outbreak of gastrointestinal illness...the cause of which as yet to be determined. Are we going to post any and all outbreaks of gastrointestional illness just to support the concept that outbreaks on cruise ships aren't of major concern? Because I think that is likely to backfire.

Actually, all the "noro" outbreaks reported "live" on ships are also called a gastrointestional illness with noro-like symptoms. Only testing at the CDC after the cruise has ended determines if it was noro or not.