Are Preventive Noro Practices Effective?

fabby50

All this discussion is about the ship being kept clean and the hand washing to prevent it, but I want to know from anyone who has been infected on the ship, what do they give you from the medical department to take care of it?

Imodium, Cipro (like what you take for "food poisoning"), anything else? Just wondering.

Do they just quarantine you to your cabin and that's it? Surely they give you something.

Cipro is an antibiotic, which has no effect on a virus like noro. As others have posted, maybe on this thread, maybe on one of the other noro threads (starting to lose track), the symptoms (vomiting and diarrhea) are expelling the virus, so use of Imodium or similar would slow that process. They will deal with dehydration if you are showing signs of this, but unfortunately, noro pretty much has to run its course. That's why prevention is so important.

Edited by chengkp75

Cipro is an antibiotic, which has no effect on a virus like noro. As others have posted, maybe on this thread, maybe on one of the other noro threads (starting to lose track), the symptoms (vomiting and diarrhea) are expelling the virus, so use of Imodium or similar would slow that process. They will deal with dehydration if you are showing signs of this, but unfortunately, noro pretty much has to run its course. That's why prevention is so important.

Thank you for all your informative posts on this thread and the "cough" thread.

My bottom line is that if I'm going to be tied in knots worrying about catching something and wasting time reading tons of CDC reports about a ship, then I wouldn't go. I take normal precautions, wash hands, try to stay healthy. I don't wash down the cabin, I don't avoid elevators, I eat native food on shore etc.

Interesting about the comments about not using Imodium. On an Amazon cruise on the old Royal, I told the nurse I had taken it, but it was old (past expiration date) and he gave me fresh stuff to take.

According to the Mayo Clinic: "... Your doctor also may recommend over-the-counter anti-diarrhea medication if you're under the age of 65." copied from http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/norovirus/basics/treatment/con-20029968

Seems like the key is following our health care providers' recommendations since the severity of symptoms and each patient's medical history is different.

Edited by Salacia

As I posted when this topic came up before, it's a myth that taking loperamide (Imodium) will keep the virus in your system longer. Loperamide is the treatment of choice for norovirus. By not taking it, you will just prolong your misery and isolation period, plus you may get dehydrated. If the diarrhea is caused by bacteria such as E.coli or shigella, then yes, you should avoid it. You probably won't know this without seeing a doctor so if you don't have a high fever or blood in the stool, then it's probably safe to take. Bottom line is that if you develop diarrhea, you must inform the medical center anyway, so just let them advise you on what to do.

So, some reviews have been posted about what is now being called the "Crown Noro Cruise" since it got so much press.

We were on the cruise, had a good time, found somethings annoying, but to us, the cruise was certainly not as bad as the reviews that have been posted make it out to be.

It did make me start to ponder a question and I wondered if anyone had seen any information published about it.

Are the practices the cruise lines are employing actually effective? Does not letting people touch salt shakers, have a bread basket on the table, etc., do any good? I realize to use the scientific method, they'd have to try each one of these things individually, but I just wonder if overall, once noro is detected do employing these tactics actually work OR is what works is that flu season runs it's course and not only do people on land stop sharing their various flu viruses, but people on ships do too.

One of the things for exampe I got a kick out of was if you asked for coffee in the speciality restaurant, each indivdual got a pot of coffee. My husband and I could share a bed, but don't touch my coffee pot :)

Are the cruise lines just employing these methods because they make people feel like something is being done, but it really doesn't have much/any effect? Kind of like the "duck and cover" campaign of my school days. Did we really think huddling under our desks was going to save us from an atomic attack?

I found the way one of the reviews ends with "someone owes us some money" amusing. I wonder if they do get a cash reward for the grousing, if they'll use it book another cruise during flu season?

most of the problems with noro is that people do not wash their hands and refuse to stay in their rooms and isolate themselves when sick and won,t use the sanitizer which isn,t the absolute answer but it does help

I have seen so many people refuse to use the hand sanitizer with the excuse they washed their hands this morning or they washed their hands in the cabin and on and on it goes

did they walk upstairs without touching anything or press the elevator button with their toes

I personally try to not use handrail if it is calm I don,t use their pens when signing for things and I try to use my own cabin to use the bathroom and if I can possibly use my sleeve to cover my fingers when I press the the elevator button I do

yes it may seem petty to some but I worked in health care for 20 years and never got Norwalk

most of the problems with noro is that people do not wash their hands and refuse to stay in their rooms and isolate themselves when sick and won,t use the sanitizer which isn,t the absolute answer but it does help

I have seen so many people refuse to use the hand sanitizer with the excuse they washed their hands this morning or they washed their hands in the cabin and on and on it goes

did they walk upstairs without touching anything or press the elevator button with their toes

I personally try to not use handrail if it is calm I don,t use their pens when signing for things and I try to use my own cabin to use the bathroom and if I can possibly use my sleeve to cover my fingers when I press the the elevator button I do

yes it may seem petty to some but I worked in health care for 20 years and never got Norwalk

The surprising amount of people that walk out of a bathroom stall and out the door without washing their hands. :mad:

The surprising amount of people that walk out of a bathroom stall and out the door without washing their hands. :mad:

They do it in the ladies room too. And I just love the ones who wave three fingers under the water and call it washing! :eek:

I am one of the people that usually wash my hands in the cabin (or a public bathroom using a paper towel or tissue to open doors) before going to the dining room without the need to touch anything before going into the dining room. I don't see why I should spread a smelly substance that doesn't really kill viruses on my hands and smell it during dinner.

Do you also observe whether those that use the sanitizer use it properly or whether they just don't rub it around for a second or two?

Edited by Boytjie

They do it in the ladies room too. And I just love the ones who wave three fingers under the water and call it washing! :eek:

Our experiences differ. Whenever possible, I use the bathroom in my cabin rather than public toilets, so my experience is rather limited. But whenever I have used public facilities, I have not seen any woman "wave three fingers under the water and call it washing". Frankly, I have never seen a woman exit the restroom on any ship I've been on without washing her hands.

But other posters represent themselves as having far more experience regarding what goes on in public toilets on Princess ships - and their observations are enough to turn anyone off booking a cruise on a Princess ship. So thanks for the heads-up (so to speak)!

Edited by Salacia

Our experiences differ. Whenever possible, I use the bathroom in my cabin rather than public toilets, so my experience is rather limited. But whenever I have used public facilities, I have not seen any woman "wave three fingers under the water and call it washing". Frankly, I have never seen a woman exit the restroom on any ship I've been on without washing her hands.

But other posters represent themselves as having far more experience regarding what goes on in public toilets on Princess ships - and their observations are enough to turn anyone off booking a cruise on a Princess ship. So thanks for the heads-up (so to speak)!

Although I prefer to use my own bathroom, I can use the public restrooms without qualms because I was taught, at a very young age, proper toileting hygiene. Just because you claim not to have seen women walk out of the restrooms without washing, doesn't mean it doesn't happen or perhaps you're just not observant enough. I think all the ruckus regarding the ship cough and Noro with quotes and readings from the CDC manual and the arguments regarding Imodium with more quotes are enough to turn anyone off this thread.

I don't see why I should spread a smelly substance that doesn't really kill viruses on my hands

Because there is no definitive evidence that it doesn't kill or reduce viruses.

In fact, even according to the CDC, they are beneficial in killing or reducing viruses.

Because there is no definitive evidence that it doesn't kill or reduce viruses.

In fact, even according to the CDC, they are beneficial in killing or reducing viruses.

quoted from http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/pub/handwashing/handwashingtips.htm

What about alcohol-based hand sanitizers?

• CDC recommends that cruise ship passengers use warm water and soap to wash their hands. Washing is always best.
  • If water and soap are NOT available (perhaps on excursions), use an ethanol alcohol-based hand sanitizer, preferably in a gel form. The sanitizer should be at least 60% ethanol.

See also http://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/show-me-the-science-hand-sanitizer.html#alcohol

http://www.infectioncontroltoday.com/articles/2003/06/choosing-an-alcohol-hand-sanitizer.aspx

Edited by Salacia

Nowhere does the CDC claim that the hand sanitizers will kill norovirus.

It will help wash some of the virus particles off of your hand, but those particles have to go somewhere.

Washing hands at a sink does not kill the norovirus either, but effective washing will remove all/most of the particles and send them down the drain.

Nowhere does the CDC claim that the hand sanitizers will kill norovirus.

It will help wash some of the virus particles off of your hand, but those particles have to go somewhere.

Washing hands at a sink does not kill the norovirus either, but effective washing will remove all/most of the particles and send them down the drain.

The problem is that a lot of people don't know or don't practice proper hand washing. :(

The problem is that a lot of people don't know or don't practice proper hand washing. :(

Brenda you hit the nail on the head. Washing ones hands OFTEN helps control the Noro virus. I’ve been sick one time on a cruise and it wasn’t much fun, I was lucky I was only sick for about 24 hours, but I was one sick puppy. We wash our hands often and whenever we check into a room we always wipe down the room with “Clorox Disinfecting Wipes” don’t know if it helps, can’t hurt, but it makes the wife feel better.

whenever we check into a room we always wipe down the room with “Clorox Disinfecting Wipes” don’t know if it helps, can’t hurt, but it makes the wife feel better.

Do you wipe it down again after the cabin has been serviced (cabin steward, repair person, etc.)?

I'm betting that if they sanitized the entire ship from top to bottom, screened the crew for illness and let only 20 people on board per cruise, there would still be outbreaks of Noro or the cough.

I'm betting that if they sanitized the entire ship from top to bottom, screened the crew for illness and let only 20 people on board per cruise, there would still be outbreaks of Noro or the cough.

No!!! the passengers don't bring it on do they? :eek:

No!!! the passengers don't bring it on do they? :eek:

According to a waiter on the Crown a couple of weeks ago, it was brought onboard in the produce during the journey around South America. I kind of hate it that passengers are often blamed when in fact they may not have been the cause of the problem at all.

According to a waiter on the Crown a couple of weeks ago, it was brought onboard in the produce during the journey around South America. I kind of hate it that passengers are often blamed when in fact they may not have been the cause of the problem at all.

In the produce?

Thats a first. :eek:

In the produce?

Thats a first. :eek:

I was as shocked as you! I wasn't told this until our last night on board. But that explains why they refused to give me wedges of lemon or lime for my glass of ice with my Perrier that week, "because of the problem...." as the waiter told me. Now I wonder if the delay in our boarding that day (April 12) was due to them throwing away all the old produce and getting fresh stuff on board. Luckily, whatever they did solved the problem of the Norovirus (but not the problem of the decreased service due to Norovirus prevention stuff happening on the ship.)

According to a waiter on the Crown a couple of weeks ago, it was brought onboard in the produce during the journey around South America.

That would probably have been Salmonella‎, not norovirus.