Norweigan Gem just turned around

brooklynphil

Please, I understand that you're worried about tax dollars, but at least for now, can just worry about this poor woman who may lose her sight... believe me, losing the sight of an eye is not a good thing.... and it's not easy to deal with for the rest of your life either... respect...please..

Chill & relax, I'm listening to live radio traffic among competing services that's DELAYING the rescue and the Captain is getting annoyed trying to hold the ship and the Gem is slipping sideway, coming dangerously close to a nearby tanker. That's my "point" about the tax dollars being wasted while the golden hour in rescue is slipping away.

Patient is finally off the GEM but some of the first responders are left on the ship , and the GEM is moving back out to sea, further delaying the ship's departure until everyone can be offloaded.

Edited by mking8288

Chill & relax, I'm listening to live radio traffic among competing services that's DELAYING the rescue and the Captain is getting annoyed trying to hold the ship and the Gem is slipping sideway, coming dangerously close to a nearby tanker. That's my "point" about the tax dollars being wasted while the golden hour in rescue is slipping away.

OK :o

This is absolutely fascinating to watch and listen to!!! Nobody involved is happy right now. Sounds like they've gotten into a big pickle. The captain just called them a bunch of clowns!

The guy on the radio on the GEM must be the pilot, too much of a NY accent

I guess it would've been the harbor pilot saying that, since he has the controls at this point. Duh, I knew that. Just wasn't thinking.

Edited by LrgPizza

GEM just sailed out under the VZ Bridge with 2 smaller launch, 1 NYPD and 1 NYFD small boats running alongside (for those watching live on NY Harbor webcam) as they are now nearing Gravesend Bay off Brooklyn - to retrieve those MOS (Members of Service) onboard the ship - otherwise, they will be going to San Juan, PR if they want to investigate further. :D

The woman sustained a non-life threatening but eye threatening eye injury. Wonder what occured. Her vacation is ruined.

According to someone on a social website that shall remain nameless, they said the woman was opening a bottle of champagne and the cork hit her in the eye.

The woman sustained a non-life threatening but eye threatening eye injury. Wonder what occured. Her vacation is ruined.

The doctor told the paramedic that her eye was struck by a "missile", (which could have been anything).....perhaps that got the NYPD interested in "investigating"..... :confused:

Wow that was amazing to watch. Definitely not a smooth operation. In their defense it is super windy here in NY right now, we can hear it creaking the house.

Hope the victim is OK.

Edited by P&Lcruising

You got that right. Soo many things could have went even more wrong tonight with this rescue.

Amen that it went so.....well (?) At least no one went overboard.

Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Edited by meatball_nyc

You got that right. Soo many things could have went even more wrong tonight with this rescue.

Amen that it went so.....well (?) At least no one went overboard.

Robin

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Meatball, I think that's why the FDNY person was being very assertive. He only was looking out for the safety of the guest....

Neaest SI University Hospital's ER is a designated Level 1 Trauma Center and 5 minutes from the pier used to offload the injuried patient, already stablized onboard by the ship's medical staff/doctor. I heard the term "projectile" used over the radio calls. Regardless, patient is in good hands now on land.

My analyais: from what I gathered over UHF & VHF marine radios from my scanner base, FDNY's Marine unit responded initially (FF 2 from SI http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/html/events/2010/120710a.shtml was alongside to board,) Captain's plan was to lower the tendering platform & agreed upon by the FD's first responder to safely transfer the patient to the boat for the trip to the pier. NYPD's own boat came out & got in front and ask to board the ship, ahead of FDNY-EMS (the biggest ship that was seen on the NY Harbor webcam was FF2) If PD didn't showed up on scene to "investigate" or to take a report, it would've been done and over with much faster - delayed easily by extra 30 minutes, demanding that a smaller side door (30 meters ahead of the platform already lowered by ship's crew) be opened for PD to get onboard. Between the wind, currents & shallow waters and several smaller boats surrounding the GEM and maybe a pilot boat also on scene/nearby - we listened & watched the drama unfold. I also believed that the "comment" came from one of pilot boats on scene to assist on Gem's behalf (P/B America and a 2nd. boat - Topaz)

Historic rivalry among PD, FD and EMS had remained checked & under the lid in recent years, but never completely gone away - it should come under the review of OEM and/or Mayor's Office of Operations, especially if the GEM wanted to review the established protocols to prevent these unnecessary drama from happening again, delaying urgent patient care in and near the ports and/or off shore. It's easy enough to review as all the radio traffic are recorded for review & playback - and it should be interesting for the CO (commanding officer) on scene to write-up and sign off the report for the headquarter - will not be surprised if the FD and PD commissioners and/or their top deputies are already on a call for review.

The Gem could've ran aground as she was drifting very close to SI shore and/or nearby tanker on the outbound channel before the VZ Bridge, but I'm sure the Captain knew the tides & finally steered the ship away & made the 2 small boats come along for a short ride - showing them who's really in charge.

Now, the GEM is behind schedule by about 4 hours & need to make up with a bit of speed ... hang ON.

Okay, who's the Platinium latitude member with the complimentary bubbling wine (champagne) that decided to pop the projectile, resulting in a missile injury and the overblown drama - it will be an interesting bunch of reviews to read next week (not to mention, Youtube videos.) Memo to NYPD officer writing the report, it was a honest mishap, accident on the balcony or inside the cabin as they popped the champagne to celebrate a sailaway - NOT terrorism related, at ease.

Edited by mking8288

Maybe more to this than a simple eye injury.

NYPD wanting to check on this as being something other than an accident ?

Makes for good news and PR = look for Hollywood adaption soon !

God speed recovery for the women with the injury !

Fortunately they were not out too far for medical attention !

Yes the NYPD/FDNY rivalry is always there. But I think everyone did a great job and thanks to all with radio connections for keeping us posted. Stay safe all.

Damn those corks!

Robin

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Edited by meatball_nyc