Norweigan Gem just turned around

brooklynphil

We are now going to risk our sparking wine perk as Latitude Platinum members and/or pop it under close supervision of a qualified crew member, LOL.

GEM is going just under 10 knots.

Edited by mking8288

..... I also believed that the "comment" came from one of pilot boats on scene to assist on Gem's behalf......

The Gem could've ran aground as she was drifting very close to SI shore and/or nearby tanker on the outbound channel before the VZ Bridge, but I'm sure the Captain knew the tides & finally steered the ship away & made the 2 small boats come along for a short ride - showing them who's really in charge.

I know there are many here who know a lot more about this than me, so I could be wrong... But I was under the impression that the harbor pilots actually board the ships and take over the controls. Is that not correct? The pilot who was heard calling the NYPD and NYFD "a bunch of clowns" was actually on board the Gem, I believe.

Anyway, harbor pilots make around $400,000 annually. Maybe he earned it tonight.

It could have been anyone that made that comment with a marine radio...I don't thing the pilot said it, although he sure had good reason to....

The person who said it first said, "This is the Gem responding....." and then continued to say that. It was clearly the person with the controls.

Memo to NYPD officer writing the report, it was a honest mishap, accident on the balcony or inside the cabin as they popped the champagne to celebrate a sailaway - NOT terrorism related, at ease.

We weren't there.. Let the police do their jobs, they are the professionals..

I hope that all of you posting ANY level of detail about the medical issue realize that it is ILLEGAL to disclose ANY medical information about someone that you do not have EXPRESS authorization to disclose. This is true no matter how you got the information, including if it was obtained on maritime radio. HIPPA laws can be enforced by the party who is experiencing the medical issue and can include substantial fines. On top of all of that, it is just plain common courtesy to leave someone's medical issues as a private matter.

I am sue there will be some who could not care less about the law or the personal privacy of the individual involved, I am merely explaining the alw to everyone.

... But I was under the impression that the harbor pilots actually board the ships and take over the controls. Is that not correct? .

Harbor Pilots provide local knowledge. They are NEVER at the controls on the ships they board.

Harbor Pilots provide local knowledge. They are NEVER at the controls on the ships they board.

Yep, thanks. I actually researched that after I posted that in order to clarify. It does make sense though that it was the pilot onboard the gem communicating with the rescuers when he said, "I'm about to lose her down the narrows" and "we need to get this ship out of here now" and "a bunch of clowns". Every time he identified himself as "This is the Gem" before he spoke. I now see what his role is while onboard, and he doesn't actually have the controls. (For that matter, neither does the Captain most the time.)

I've never paid much attention to this before, but that was fascinating.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

According to someone on a social website that shall remain nameless, they said the woman was opening a bottle of champagne and the cork hit her in the eye.

That's just great! Now I have to worry about a cork flying into my face when I am booked in my first suite on my next cruise.

Thought maybe she missed her straw in her soda and took out her eye.

I hope that all of you posting ANY level of detail about the medical issue realize that it is ILLEGAL to disclose ANY medical information about someone that you do not have EXPRESS authorization to disclose. This is true no matter how you got the information, including if it was obtained on maritime radio. HIPPA laws can be enforced by the party who is experiencing the medical issue and can include substantial fines. On top of all of that, it is just plain common courtesy to leave someone's medical issues as a private matter.

I am sue there will be some who could not care less about the law or the personal privacy of the individual involved, I am merely explaining the alw to everyone.

Only if we are employed by the agencies involved. For the news would be violating HIPPA on each and every news broadcast.

Edited by NH Cruisers

th?&id=HN.608040263979371596&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

The damning thing for the ships captain too is, he follows the suggestion of the pilot. He has to have utmost trust in the pilot, for if a mishap occures the captain takes a big portion of the blame. The captain is accountable.

That's just great! Now I have to worry about a cork flying into my face when I am booked in my first suite on my next cruise.

I hope you are joking. More important, I hope the woman is okay.

It's a good idea to open bottles of champagne and sparkling wine with something like a towel held over the cork, and even then the bottle should be angled away from people.

[quote name=NH Cruisers;42545568

The damning thing for the ships captain too is' date=' he follows the suggestion of the pilot. He has to have utmost trust in the pilot, for if a mishap occures the captain takes a big portion of the blame. The captain is accountable.[/quote]

Yes, the pilot is an advisor to the Captain on local conditions. The Captain is always in command of the vessel (with only about 3 exceptions in the world), and always responsible for the safe navigation of the vessel. The pilot will announce his directions aloud to the watch officer and helmsman, for them to follow, but at any time either the watch officer, or the Captain can question the pilots "orders", and the Captain can countermand the orders if he feels they are not safe. The pilot is never allowed to actually control the vessels steering, propulsion or thrusters. The dilemma of the Captain/Pilot relationship is if the ship gets into danger "why didn't the Captain countermand the pilot when he saw the obvious danger", or "why did the Captain countermand the pilot, causing the ship to be in danger, when the pilot, with local knowledge may have prevented it". Rock and hard place.

Edited by chengkp75

It's a good idea to open bottles of champagne and sparkling wine with something like a towel held over the cork, and even then the bottle should be angled away from people.

In fact you should always have a firm grip on the cork as soon as the wire mesh is remove and you twist the BOTTLE...not the cork. You hold the cork and turn the bottle to a small "pop".

When I see expensive Champagne being opened with a big "pop" and spoiled on the floor and over pouring my hart bleeds :(

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

The damning thing for the ships captain too is, he follows the suggestion of the pilot. He has to have utmost trust in the pilot, for if a mishap occures the captain takes a big portion of the blame. The captain is accountable.

In the last several years, two ships have struck the SF/Oakland Bay Bridge. Guess who was charged in both cases? Hint: it wasn't the captain.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/23678514/ns/us_news-environment/t/ships-pilot-charged-bay-area-oil-disaster/

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2013/04/04/pilot-of-empty-tanker-who-hit-bay-bridge-could-lose-license/

Of course, that doesn't mean the captain isn't responsible for his passengers and crew. He doesn't get a pass if he abandons ship after the pilot tears up the ship, but he's not necessarily accountable for a "mishap".

Edited by triptolemus

In fact you should always have a firm grip on the cork as soon as the wire mesh is remove and you twist the BOTTLE...not the cork. You hold the cork and turn the bottle to a small "pop".

When I see expensive Champagne being opened with a big "pop" and spoiled on the floor and over pouring my hart bleeds :(

Agreed, and I should have noted that. In fact, I keep one hand carefully over the wire cage as I turn the wire with the other and then remove the cage, in the unlikely event that the cork flies out at that stage.

I must have missed the part where the patient's identifying information was given here. If I report "someone broke their leg in my town today", I have not violated HIPAA. This is the same situation.

Furthermore, even if you report that "family members identified the injured victim as Joe Blow" -- which happens every day on the news -- neither you nor the family members violated HIPAA (hippo?). Why? HIPAA regulations simply do not apply!

I do not understand what's so difficult to understand about HIPAA applying to "health plans, health care clearinghouses, and health care providers". Generally, people who spell it "HIPPA" also believe that "HIPPA" = "guarantees absolute privacy protection" -- it does not.

Furthermore, even if you report that "family members identified the injured victim as Joe Blow" -- which happens every day on the news -- neither you nor the family members violated HIPAA (hippo?). Why? HIPAA regulations simply do not apply!

I do not understand what's so difficult to understand about HIPAA applying to "health plans, health care clearinghouses, and health care providers". Generally, people who spell it "HIPPA" also believe that "HIPPA" = "guarantees absolute privacy protection" -- it does not.

And in case folks still don't believe you, here's a link to the pertinent HHS page:

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/summary/

In the last several years, two ships have struck the SF/Oakland Bay Bridge. Guess who was charged in both cases? Hint: it wasn't the captain.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/23678514/ns/us_news-environment/t/ships-pilot-charged-bay-area-oil-disaster/

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2013/04/04/pilot-of-empty-tanker-who-hit-bay-bridge-could-lose-license/

Of course, that doesn't mean the captain isn't responsible for his passengers and crew. He doesn't get a pass if he abandons ship after the pilot tears up the ship, but he's not necessarily accountable for a "mishap".

Yes, he is. Since the Captain is licensed in a foreign country and the ship is flagged in a foreign country, it would require the NTSB or USCG investigation to be completed prior to charges being brought against him. You also do not know whether the flag state of the ship, or the country the Captain is licensed in, has proceeded against his license for the incident.

There are only a very few instances where the Captain relinquishes responsibility for the vessel: Transiting the Panama Canal, entering a drydock, or transiting the Soo Locks on the Great Lakes. Even in the Suez Canal, the pilot is only an advisor, and the Captain retains responsibility.

And in case folks still don't believe you, here's a link to the pertinent HHS page:

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/summary/

You might want to read the first part about WHO is covered by these rules. (hint - health care providers)

Next, if these rules were taken to extreme, newspapers could not even mention xxx died yesterday. Or a million other examples.

AND, in this case, nobody here is giving the persons name.

Geez...

The person who said it first said, "This is the Gem responding....." and then continued to say that. It was clearly the person with the controls.

The ONLY thing that is clear is the person saying that had the microphone. NOTHING else is clear.

Really? Then who I should I sue because I heard Miley Cyrus is in the hospital with an allergic reaction to meds?

That should be worth millions

Definitely! Once the hubby opened a bottle of champagne at home and I wasn't even close by, but the cork ricocheted off the wall and then hit me on my face under my eye.

I hope the lady will be alright. I can't imagine how she feels. One moment sailing out of New York and the start of a fantastic cruise. And the next the ship is trying to get you off for medical care....

Goes to show stuff happens all the time. We read about freak accidents everyday.

I remember on one cruise several years ago a guy was hitting golf balls in the driving range net and a ball hit the plastic frame or another ball and bounced back hit him in the eyebrow and bloodied him pretty good.

I hope the lady will be alright. I can't imagine how she feels. One moment sailing out of New York and the start of a fantastic cruise. And the next the ship is trying to get you off for medical care....

Goes to show stuff happens all the time. We read about freak accidents everyday.

I remember on one cruise several years ago a guy was hitting golf balls in the driving range net and a ball hit the plastic frame or another ball and bounced back hit him in the eyebrow and bloodied him pretty good.

She was treated and released. She should be fine.