Princess Coffee Cards

elaineshark

My husband and I will be sailing on the Crown the day after tomorrow. We really do not like the coffee that Princess serves in the dining rooms and buffet. We have never gotten a coffee card but we think maybe it might be a good idea. Does anyone know the cost and if the atrium cafe has good coffee. Also what about the tea in the atrium? Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.

My husband and I will be sailing on the Crown the day after tomorrow. We really do not like the coffee that Princess serves in the dining rooms and buffet. We have never gotten a coffee card but we think maybe it might be a good idea. Does anyone know the cost and if the atrium cafe has good coffee. Also what about the tea in the atrium? Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.

The coffee card is $31. If you purchase before it before you board, through Princess Gifts etc, you don't pay tax. But you can buy it on board the day you embark. I think there are 15 punches on the card ,and one is punched every time you get a specialty coffee, such as latte or cappuccino. if you just show your card at the atrium coffee bar, you can get a freshly brewed coffee that doesn't require any punches off your card. That is only a perk of the sailing on which you bought your card. If you have leftover punches, you can use them on another Princess ship but you can't get a freshly brewed coffee on the next sailing. You can always get a freshly brewed coffee at the atrium bar at any time but they charge for it. I think it is only about a dollar .so you can always just buy the fresh coffee there instead of drinking the buffet coffee. Hope this helps. I have always found the cappuccinos and lattes to be very good. Also the fresh brewed coffee.

I thoroughly recommend the coffee card. It gives you unlimited brewed coffee and 15 punches. The coffee in the MDR tasted disgusting after the brewed so definitely go for it. Just make sure you leave one punch on your card or the unlimited coffee will end. You can also use the card between you if you both want a specialty coffee as it will be two punches from the one card. Sorry no idea of individual prices but several people drinking pots of tea so that should have the thumbs up.

Another big advantage of the card is it allows you the specialty teas and hot chocolate without requiring a punch. Just show your card. While the punches are good on any cruise, this benefit is only good on the cruise for which the card was purchased. My daughter is a big tea drinker and she loves that benefit. And the hot chocolate is nice too.

I agree with what is said above, except I think what is being avoided by buying via the web site is the service charge. Some people have scruples about that, YMMV.

I have several coffee cards as I do not drink much, and am Elite, so I turn in my minibar setup for two coffee cards. I limit myself to one specialty drink a day, but I don't expect to run out of coffee cards soon. (Note: I do use one of the ones from the current voyage first, by the time that's done, the servers know you by sight. I obey the rules.) On ships with an International Cafe, I'm often there at 4 am getting a coffee.

Edited by Wehwalt

I just read all the great responses to my husband and we are definitely going to get a coffee card. I wish I would have known about this on past cruises. My husband has always complained about the coffee in the buffet. All the info has been great and we sure do appreciate everyone taking the time to respond. Thanks again and happy sailing to you all. Elaine and Rich

I bought a coffee card on my 4/12 Caribbean Princess cruise. I don't drink any specialty coffee. I did, however, drink LOTS of brewed coffee and teas. They told me to bring the card on my next cruise, and I can use the punches for brewed coffee, free. So, I can get 15 free cups of brewed coffee on my next cruise. I will bring my Princess Travel Mug that I got, which holds more than the large coffee cup that they have.

Another big advantage of the card is it allows you the specialty teas and hot chocolate without requiring a punch. Just show your card. While the punches are good on any cruise, this benefit is only good on the cruise for which the card was purchased. My daughter is a big tea drinker and she loves that benefit. And the hot chocolate is nice too.

Hot chocolate will be great on our Alaskan cruise. It's 11 nights, so I should be able to use it up on one cruise.

Hot chocolate will be great on our Alaskan cruise. It's 11 nights, so I should be able to use it up on one cruise.

On our Princess Alaska cruise they had a container of Hot Chocolate on the Lido deck. No charge and no coffee card required.

On our Princess Alaska cruise they had a container of Hot Chocolate on the Lido deck. No charge and no coffee card required.

Celebrity did that also on our last Alaskan cruise-nice touch and for an additional charge, they added a shot of liqueur.

Hot chocolate with the coffee card may no longer be free.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1997190&highlight=hot+chocolate

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1866437&highlight=hot+chocolate&page=2

I bought a coffee card on my 4/12 Caribbean Princess cruise. I don't drink any specialty coffee. I did, however, drink LOTS of brewed coffee and teas. They told me to bring the card on my next cruise, and I can use the punches for brewed coffee, free. So, I can get 15 free cups of brewed coffee on my next cruise. I will bring my Princess Travel Mug that I got, which holds more than the large coffee cup that they have.

That wouldn't be a very good use of the coffee card. Brewed coffee costs $1.25. One punch from the coffee card is worth about $2.25. Why would you pay $2.25 for a $1.25 value?

That wouldn't be a very good use of the coffee card. Brewed coffee costs $1.25. One punch from the coffee card is worth about $2.25. Why would you pay $2.25 for a $1.25 value?

Because some people buy the coffee card just to get the unlimited fresh brewed coffee.

When on the next cruise, that feature no longer applies, but the 15 unused punches can be used to get 15 cups of what the person really wants.

• 3 weeks later...
I agree with what is said above, except I think what is being avoided by buying via the web site is the service charge. Some people have scruples about that, YMMV.

Not bought a coffee card before but was considering one for our next cruise. From your comment regarding service charge does it cost more to purchase if you leave it until you get on board?