Bait and switch by certain online agency

MarisaBlu

Good Morning Everyone

I have been looking for the best balcony rate for a Mediterranean Cruise on Celebrity, and was very excited to see a price advertised for the past several days as a " Fast Deal", with a very well known online TA, complete with the "have your credit card ready" caption designed, of course, to book right away in order to take advantage of this "fast deal".

The price was still on their web site in front of me when I called, only to be told to my disappointment, that this price did not exist, and if I wanted this particular cruise, the price I would pay would be double the price advertised, and this was after being transferred to a Manager.

The Manager also informed me that for $200.00 dollars I could go on a wait list, but if, and when that wait list cleared the price would surely change to a different price, with no way of knowing what that price would be.

This to me is a clear case of false advertising, and bait and witch, to get people to call and be lured into higher prices.

According to the "Manager", the reason they can do this, and get away with it , is that they have a blurb about "Price is subject to change"!

No matter which way you phrase it, it is STILL a falsely advertised price.

Fellow CCER's out there, please weigh in on this, as I am sure I am not the only one this has happened to.

I would also not like calling on a published price to discover it did not exist. For most prices I have checked on that site they are in line with others pricing. However I will say I have found a few shocking instances where I was promised something, even in writing, to have it called a misquote later. I felt like I needed a shower after hours of attempts to get the issues settled.i have had these experiences from the cruise line and travel agencies.

While some cruise companies allow for discounted prices celebrity does not unless a big group is booked by an agency. I tend to look for Obc and other perks. But if price was the bottom line factor I would check out places that have open bookings left in their large groups. Those prices do not rise as others do, so they are offering prices before increases. However I am not sure the price goes down drastically either if you are choosing an off season.

I wish you well with your next experience.

Most of on-line TAs do that, if not all. Ever tried to make flight reservations? They have one price on page 1, "your price has changed" on page 2.

It's not only that agency that you were using, they all have "bait and switch" policy. Just be careful to double-check the price, never do anything in a hurry.

And yes, this is correct, they are not liable legally if there is a blurb "price is subject to change". Same as with cruise lines "itinerary is subject to change".

I booked with a online cruise travel agent "the worlds largest" and the rep told me not to worry-if I had to make a change it would only cost $25 per cabin--we had three. They charged me $375!! They said I accepted the terms and conditions and they refused to give me a refund.

When I escalated it to the manager he promised to send vouchers for $100 x3 to use on a future cruise. Nothing came--I called back and the next day they sent ONE with an expiration date one year from now which was NEVER mentioned.

I don't know what to do--they refuse to give me a refund and they only agreed to give me he vouchers if I booked another cruise with them--then said the vouchers could only be used one at a time on a future cruise--not the one they made me book.

I feel so stupid and ripped off...

What exactly is the wait list for? Are they saying the room class you choose is sold out?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Hi there

Thank you for your question.

The wait list is to get you to book, but not at the advertised price, but an unknown future price.

Sadly this whole matter is very common in on line travel marketing (and auto dealerships, furniture stores, etc.). As long as they say " price subject to change", they are essentially protected - and the "final price, including related fees and government charge" is almost always well above the "advertised price" which caught your attention.

That's the whole concept of something being almost too good to be true - it usually turns out to be exactly that.

Hi there

Thank you for your question.

The wait list is to get you to book, but not at the advertised price, but an unknown future price.

You did not answer the question. What exactly are they wait listing? Either a room is available or it's not, if it's not available then you can get wait listed... but that means it's sold out currently. Your story doesn't add up.

Sadly this whole matter is very common in on line travel marketing (and auto dealerships, furniture stores, etc.). As long as they say " price subject to change", they are essentially protected - and the "final price, including related fees and government charge" is almost always well above the "advertised price" which caught your attention.

That's the whole concept of something being almost too good to be true - it usually turns out to be exactly that.

Thank you for your reply.

I do agree with you, and of course I realize that the price as noted on this particular site was before taxes, and that is ok, but it was the advertised base price that was bogus.

By the way I realize now that my original thread was posted on the Celebrity Board, which the cruise in question was on.

It was moved to "ask a cruise question", which I was not aware of.

Apologies for all the confusion.

Thank you.

You did not answer the question. What exactly are they wait listing? Either a room is available or it's not, if it's not available then you can get wait listed... but that means it's sold out currently. Your story doesn't add up.

I apologize for any confusion regarding my posting.

I was told by the Online TA, that the cruise was not available for the advertised price listed on its website this morning, even though I called to book it at the price I saw on its "fast deal", and the agent on the other side saw the same thing.

When I was transferred to a manager, because the original agent was at a loss to explain why she could not book the rate listed, the manager offered to put me on a wait list for a fee of $200, but no guarantee of getting the rate on their website. There was NO AVAILABILITY, only a possible chance of something opening up down the road, therefore the wait list.

Believe me, I found this whole thing very bizarre, as I have never experienced this before, sure left a bad taste, not to mention the aggravation.

However, in the scheme of things, and at the end of the day, to use a cliche, it does not matter at all, considering the real troubles and challenges we face every day.

Fast deals and flash deals are often used to quickly sell any rooms remaining on a sailing. It sounds like you called after the cruise sold out, the are very limited amounts right before a sailing. That's probably why it was such a good price.

Some of you might have seen my posts, over many years, we always strongly recommend shopping among several "reputable online cruise agencies" to get the best deal. Over the years we have developed our own "short list" of favored agencies (which now numbesr 4). Since we book many cruises (at least 70 days a year) we have had plenty of opportunity to have seen good and bad agencies. But there are a few basic rules. If we see an agency advertising "low ball" prices or trying "bait and switch" they are history for us! If an agency charges a fee to reprice a cruise (when the price changes) they are history for us! Any agency that does not have a direct computer link to major cruise lines is quickly history for us.

My point is that there are good agencies and not so good agencies. Size does not seem to matter (can't believe I said this) as some very large agencies are the worst offenders of my rules. Complaining about poor agency practices on CC is a waste of time since nobody can know about whom you speak. But taking your business somewhere else is something you can do and should do! We once had an agency charge us a $25 dollar change fee after we had given that particular agency over $40,000 in bookings. Their manager told me they had recently implemented this new policy. I told him no problem, but they would never see another penny of my business. The manager reconsidered and waived the fee. We did not reconsider and dumped the agency :)

It is a buyers world and you have freedom of choice.

Hank

Thank you Hank and Sherilyn!

I totally agree with you Hank, and it is, and always has been "Buyer Beware".

I thought the agency that advertises "Fast Deals", would certainly be recognized by most of the savvy cruisers here.

I will chalk it off to a bad experience, and like you so eloquently explained, the bad ones are out there, and it's up to us to decipher between the ones who deal in good faith, and the ones who obviously do not.

You were absolutely right to decide not to give any more business to the agency who did not show any loyalty to you as a valued customer.

Good Night and

Thanks again.

Marisa

This is so common, by many agencies, that by now I am just very skeptical of many or most 'sales'. You have to do your homework, comparisons, and sometimes learn the hard way.

There are many ways TA's can get around their stated sale; read the fine print carefully, of course, and especially note that most say "Cabins from xxxx$". So, there may be one cabin type on one sailing that is that price--not that cabin type on all sailings.

I have dealt with several of the big online agencies without any major problems yet, but I am very careful and especially am aware of fees for changes. We have gotten some good deals and good perks like OBC, but unfortunately it is buyer beware.

I'd love to find a really good agent who is truthful, honest and will work for my benefit; so far I'm still looking.

The lesson to be learned is that doing business with a company because they have low prices is not the same as doing business with a company that has a high level of service. You will almost always get one or the other, but rarely both.

Edited by boogs

Hlitner,

Can a TA make any changes to the contract after a deposit has been put down, but final payment has not been made yet? I am referring to changes not requested by the customer.

I know that the cruise lines can charge extra if the price of oil goes up, etc but what about an agency?

Thanks

Edited by ReneeFLL

If you don't trust them, don't book. Based on the information you've provided here, I would not trust this TA and would not look at their site in future. There are always misleading yet legal practices used by some agencies. In the vast majorities of mass-market budget TAs who force you to call them after stating a deal on their website, in my experience this deal has never been available at the price stated. There's always some catch, sold out, hidden extras, etc.

Find a TA that you can personally email or call for a quote and you know will look around and get you the best deal for you and give you all the relevant information in a single email so you can compare it, rather than a mass market TA.

Edited by Cruise_Christy

Hlitner,

Can a TA make any changes to the contract after a deposit has been put down, but final payment has not been made yet? I am referring to changes not requested by the customer.

I know that the cruise lines can charge extra if the price of oil goes up, etc but what about an agency?

Thanks

Oh my. In simple terms you ask if they can change the rules after the game has started? I think in our society people and businesses simply do as they please when they please and then wait to see if anyone makes an issue. And even when people complain they may either get ignored of be told "sue me." The cruise lines used to play all types of games with their so-called "taxes, port charges and fees" until it was finally challenged in court. But I doubt if many folks are going to sue a TA.

There is one thing the OP could do about that Travel Agency that will cost them no money and only take a few minutes. File a written complaint with the Better Business Bureau! And I should mention that whenever we consider using a new agency we do check them out by both a Better Business Bureau and simple "Google" check.

Hank

A lot of tech savvy people these days use the internet to tell the truth about businesses that are not on the up and up or that do false advertising. Building a web page is rather easy. When the company's name or related key words are searched then that website will be seen with all of the bad reviews. It can hurt any business and, in some cases, put them out of business.

A lot of tech savvy people these days use the internet to tell the truth about businesses that are not on the up and up or that do false advertising. Building a web page is rather easy. When the company's name or related key words are searched then that website will be seen with all of the bad reviews. It can hurt any business and, in some cases, put them out of business.

Unfortunately, many of those web sites are completely one sided and biased and are in existence only to satisfy the owner's need to get revenge because they did not get their way when dealing with the company in question. Born of unreasonable people making unreasonable demands and reacting unreasonably because they were turned down.

Edited by sloopsailor

The OP most likely did not read the fine print or ignored the * that then said the price was good for only one sailing date.

No bait and switch, just lack of reading the details before trying to make some kind of big deal out of a simple reading error.

The lesson to be learned is that doing business with a company because they have low prices is not the same as doing business with a company that has a high level of service. You will almost always get one or the other, but rarely both.

Pretty good advice. But most budget shoppers want both and have no loyalty whatsoever. Give me give me give me. The same ones who remove the tips, and our always looking to get something for nothing. After all it's there cruise. At lunch one day in the MDR a lady was asking everyone at the table how much they paid for there cruise. When she asked me I made up some number cause I really did not remember. She looked at me and said the I way overpaid and she got the best price. The look on her face was priceless. I made her day.