lobster in the buffet

karen of PA

We are on the Breakaway in May and I don't know if I misunderstood but is there really lobster one night in the buffet instead of in the dining room? Would it really be all you can eat? That sounds incredible!

They had lobster night in the buffet on BA when we went back on 3/23/14. That night they also had sushi and the lines were a bit long. There were only giving one or two lobster pieces but most people would ask for another and they would give them.

They also had one Asian themed night which was great.

We are on the Breakaway in May and I don't know if I misunderstood but is there really lobster one night in the buffet instead of in the dining room? Would it really be all you can eat? That sounds incredible!

Yes, They are tails sliced in half, but you can have as many as you like. There are two stations. The second one, further back, did not have a line at all (on Getaway).

Is the Getaway doing that also?

Yes, I believe seafood night in the buffet was on Tuesday night. It will be noted in the Freestyle Daily. All you can eat and it was very good. Better than the last time we had lobster in the MDR, which by the way, was always all you can eat as well. We actually had an early light dinner in Taste that night before a show and then stopped by the buffet for a lobster "dessert" after the show.

We were in the buffet late, so don't know if they had servers earlier in the evening handing out a couple tails at a time or not, but when we went there were plenty to be had and you took as many as you wanted. Most people were considerate of those in line behind them and only took a couple and then returned to the counter for more later.

Lobster / Seafood night is Sunday night on the Getaway (night #2). Also, the server will serve the lobster to you. You can't just take them. They will put 2 on your plate, 3 if you ask. You may go up as many times as you wish. I think my husband ate 9 full tails that night before going to dinner LOL We aren't buffet fans, but it was fine for the lobster.

Lobster / Seafood night is Sunday night on the Getaway (night #2). Also, the server will serve the lobster to you. You can't just take them. They will put 2 on your plate, 3 if you ask. You may go up as many times as you wish. I think my husband ate 9 full tails that night before going to dinner LOL We aren't buffet fans, but it was fine for the lobster.

That's funny because we also plan to hit the buffet to load up on lobster, then we have dinner reservations for later. Ha!

Yes, They are tails sliced in half, but you can have as many as you like. There are two stations. The second one, further back, did not have a line at all (on Getaway).
I was on the 3/22 Getaway sailing, and that was my observation as well. The tails were sliced in half, the meat was still in the tail, and they were a bit dried out and chewy since they were grilled. Before your sailing, someone had posted in one of the other lobster threads and had a video of the lobster in the buffet on one of the other ships. The tails looked fantastic. They were big and the meat was pulled out of the shell and put on top of the shell, like you'd get in a fancy restaurant. Due to the presentation, it looks like they were steamed or boiled instead of grilled.

Wondering if the grilled "tail split in half" is only on Getaway/Breakaway, or if different ships are doing it different ways.

I was on the 3/22 Getaway sailing, and that was my observation as well. The tails were sliced in half, the meat was still in the tail, and they were a bit dried out and chewy since they were grilled. Before your sailing, someone had posted in one of the other lobster threads and had a video of the lobster in the buffet on one of the other ships. The tails looked fantastic. They were big and the meat was pulled out of the shell and put on top of the shell, like you'd get in a fancy restaurant. Due to the presentation, it looks like they were steamed or boiled instead of grilled.

Wondering if the grilled "tail split in half" is only on Getaway/Breakaway, or if different ships are doing it different ways.

Plenty of butter will take care of any dryness. :D

Before your sailing, someone had posted in one of the other lobster threads and had a video of the lobster in the buffet on one of the other ships. The tails looked fantastic. They were big and the meat was pulled out of the shell and put on top of the shell, like you'd get in a fancy restaurant. Due to the presentation, it looks like they were steamed or boiled instead of grilled.

This thread?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2026038

I agree, the tails in the above thread's video look great. The thread confirms that many of the older ships have recently moved to a "lobster in the buffet only" approach too.

Edited by Kirasha

This thread?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2026038

I agree, the tails in the above thread's video look great. The thread confirms that many of the older ships have recently moved to a "lobster in the buffet only" approach too.

They were very good! Best lobster tails I have had on any cruise ship!

• 1 month later...

Is it a seafood buffet that night? If so what other shellfish? Crablegs? I have read Sunday, Monday or Tuesday night. Do you remember which night?

Thanks in advance!

Is the Getaway doing that also?

Yes.

When we were on the Getaway a few weeks ago, there wasn't anyone serving them to us. It was just like any other item in the buffet. We grabbed the tongs and put whatever we wanted on our plate.

They were the smallest, pathetic looking tails I think I have ever seen. :(

P5180171-L.jpg

P5180172-L.jpg

P5180173-L.jpg

Yes there are Lobster tails one night at the buffet. all you can eat

For those folks staying in a suite, if you want to have a more intimate dining experience than lobster in the buffet provides, your butler can get you lobster from the buffet for in-room dining in your suite.

My wife did that for her meal on buffet lobster night while I had steak from Cagneys served in the room.

It allowed non fish eaters like myself to have a great meal while she was able to have her fill of lobster at the same time all in the privacy of our suite.

For those folks staying in a suite, if you want to have a more intimate dining experience than lobster in the buffet provides, your butler can get you lobster from the buffet for in-room dining in your suite.

My wife did that for her meal on buffet lobster night while I had steak from Cagneys served in the room.

It allowed non fish eaters like myself to have a great meal while she was able to have her fill of lobster at the same time all in the privacy of our suite.

Can you have the lobster tails brought and served to you in the Haven restaurant on lobster night?

Can you have the lobster tails brought and served to you in the Haven restaurant on lobster night?

I would imagine so. If they're willing to bring you lobster to your suite, I'm sure they'd be willing to bring it to you in the Haven Restaurant.

Having it served in the room by our butler was on a Jewel class ship which does not have the Haven Restaurant.

However a year ago, my wife had no problems having lobster served in the Haven Restaurant on the Epic when it was served elsewhere on the ship