Has anyone ever had success upgrading at PIER?

So bummed! I just paid $900 more to switch from my perfect balcony cabin to a "W" guarantee... My travel agent convinced me that since Jr. Suites were sold out AND wait listed, that I stood an excellent chance of being upgraded to a suite with all the suite perks. Well...boo hoo... Paid the $$ and received a Jr. Suite!

Now, the TA feels badly but she says that unless I want to pay another $3000 (I definitely do not), then I can ask at the pier to see if there are any available suites and try to upgrade then, for hopefully, a lower price than is currently on RCCL's website for the suite guarantee.

Has anyone ever had any luck upgrading at the pier? I am happy to pay a nominal price, but certainly not thousands of dollars more.

Thanks for listening... Still super excited about the cruise, just bummed about tossing $900 out the window for the Jr. Suite that has no benefits except square feet (was excited about the concierge lounge, since we are only Diamond and really wanted the special breakfasts and lunches with wine/beer).

:)

No...upgrading to a full suite was not just for cocktails... Obviously we could have added drink packages for $900 OR less... My husband retired recently from the police department after nearly 30 years of service and I wanted to surprise him with a suite that comes with all the perks (not just the alcohol and food).

But thank you for your concern:rolleyes:

So bummed! I just paid $900 more to switch from my perfect balcony cabin to a "W" guarantee... My travel agent convinced me that since Jr. Suites were sold out AND wait listed, that I stood an excellent chance of being upgraded to a suite with all the suite perks. Well...boo hoo... Paid the $$ and received a Jr. Suite!

Now, the TA feels badly but she says that unless I want to pay another $3000 (I definitely do not), then I can ask at the pier to see if there are any available suites and try to upgrade then, for hopefully, a lower price than is currently on RCCL's website for the suite guarantee.

Has anyone ever had any luck upgrading at the pier? I am happy to pay a nominal price, but certainly not thousands of dollars more.

Thanks for listening... Still super excited about the cruise, just bummed about tossing $900 out the window for the Jr. Suite that has no benefits except square feet (was excited about the concierge lounge, since we are only Diamond and really wanted the special breakfasts and lunches with wine/beer).

Here's another sad story for you. Junior Suites don't qualify for a gold card to enter Concierge Club. It does, however provide double points so you can achieve Diamond plus status more quickly.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Here's another sad story for you. Junior Suites don't qualify for a gold card to enter Concierge Club. It does, however provide double points so you can achieve Diamond plus status more quickly.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I believe the OP knows this. She was hoping to score a Grand Suite or above.

Shame on your Travel Agent for giving you false hope. CC probably would have set you straight. I've done W a few times but certainly not at $900. Maybe for a $100 more at most. Always end up with a JS.

Sorry this happened. But congrats to your husband for all his years of service.

Seem like you were given some bad advice. $900 is a lot for the CHANCE of getting a suite over a JS. I take guarantees often and many times the guaranteed category becomes sold out put prior to my assignment. In EVERY case, I am still assigned the category guaranteed (i.e. balcony ) and not a higher category (JS). I suspect that others in the paid categories are upgraded to that higher available category and I am given the cabin they vacated.

The best advice for the future is to take a guarantee because the price is good, not for the chance of a higher assignment.

Try to forget the cost and have a wonderful retirement cruise in the JS. Since you are Diamond, you will have many generous Diamond benefits on the ship.

Enjoy

m

No...upgrading to a full suite was not just for cocktails... Obviously we could have added drink packages for $900 OR less... My husband retired recently from the police department after nearly 30 years of service and I wanted to surprise him with a suite that comes with all the perks (not just the alcohol and food).

But thank you for your concern:rolleyes:

How awesome you wanted to surprise your husband. I'm grateful for all police officers. Protecting and serving for 30 years is amazing.

I hope you have a great cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Allure is supposed to have a nice Diamond Lounge. Enjoy! :D

I would be sort of ticked at my TA if they implied that we had a "good chance" at a higher upgrade, and had paid that much.

It would be a nice surprise, but I would never gamble that much.

Back to the pier upgrade question. Through a combination of late price drops and shuffling of passengers, the ships are usually close to capacity by the time they sail. Bob (clarea) gave you the correct advice about checking with the pier coordinator, or even onboard at guest relations if you want to try.

Out of curiosity, we have asked a couple of times in the last few years...most often it was no cabins or suites available. On Radiance, I think there were a couple of inside to ocean view cabins available.

Edited by Coralc

Yes, I'd fire your travel agent. Not that it's IMPOSSIBLE that your suite guarantee would get you a larger suite; but the people that paid "full boat" for the JS and all categories above would stand a better chance of being upgraded than the "Guarantee" suite.

And $900 for an upgrade to a suite guarantee? From a "perfect balcony?" You were given some poor advice, IMHO.

You definitely Need a new TA. If you want a GS, either pay for it or if offered pay for a full Suite guarantee, but not a W.

You shouldn´t put up your hopes for a Pier upgrade. They used to exist regularly, but not in recent years. As Bob said the process used to be to check-in and inquire to the Pier-coordinator. However my experience with this is for some years now, the Pier-coordinator tells me no Upgrades - full ship, but I could ask at guest Services and be put on a list if they have no Shows. Most times I get a call in the evening or next day with a sorry, we don´t have any Upgrades. In the rare case they offered me an upgrade the Price was in the 4 figures and not worth to me the hassle of moving again after having settled in my room I was happy with to begin with when I booked.

Thanks to the nice people who took the time to reply...

Definitely looking forward to the trip and even though, a bit of a speed bump start with the $900 upgrade to a meager JR. Suite, we are still excited about finally getting to experience Allure... After reading endless reviews and postings from all of you nice CC'ers, our excitement has been building for nearly two years!

Time to get packing... we head out for our drive to FLL at 6 AM tomorrow... Review to follow when we return.

;) Angie

After 9/11 pier upgrades were available. We upgraded several times to GS or OS by being among the first ones at the pier.That was over 10 years ago! Unfortunately, word of these upgrades spread quickly and the request for these upgrades far exceeded supply.

I am very surprised that a TA would offer such advice and have to question if a higher fare meant a higher commission for the TA.

Have your TA call RCI and plead your case, talking up the fact that your DH is retiring after so many years of public service. They may actually do something for you - we had a last-minute upgrade to a GS on Jewel, and another CCER's TA went to the mat and got her our vacated JS two days before sailing, maybe even the day before because it was a modest on birthday for her.

If that fails, the TA should ask if they will upsell you something at less than the going rate - this close to the sailing date it might just happen.

If THAT fails, she should ask if they will put you back the guarantee pool and see what happens.

I agree that her advice was poor, but she can certainly try to make it right for you. There is no guarantee that she will succeed, but it was her advice that got you into this mess and she should at least try to do something to make it right. And if she fails, she can use part of her increased commission to buy you dinner in a soecialty restaurant. If she refuses, then I would fire her. And if you book a cruise onboard, make sure that it isn't automatically assigned to her, which is RCI's standard procedure.

We are diamond plus and have asked at the pier on each of our cruises if there were any suites to upgrade to. In 32 cruises, there has never been an upgrade available.

On our last cruise the junior suite guarantee was $500 on the Allure. There were lots of Grand Suites and higher available. I figured being D+, we just might get assigned one of those cabins. No such luck, RCCL had assigned me a junior suite in 10 minutes time (I didn't even have time to dream of a bigger suite).

I will not do another upgrade to a suite guarantee unless it is $100.

Hope you enjoy your cruise.