Changes to check in at Southampton

miss travel

I have heard that there are going to be changes to how you check in at Southampton, when cruising with Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. Your check in time that you will be given will be based on what deck your on, if you arrive earlier than that time, you be asked to come later. (They take your luggage as usual ). Not sure if I have got this right, just wondering if anybody has heard of any changes.

Kerry

I don't know about Celebrity as my cruise from Southampton isn't until Oct, but they have always issued me with times based on deck for Princess from Southampton and people just arrive as normal and are never turned away. I think it is to attempt to ease congestion from those who do not need to get there early but they have been trying it with Princess for a few years now.

We had this confirmed for our cruise in 2 weeks, but it also says that Captains Club levels who get priority boarding, plus suites etc can board anytime from 11.30am - 3.30pm at their convenience.

Don't know if they will turn people away, but we are travelling in a party of 6, and our friends haven't cruised with Celebrity before, and have check in times of 2pm!

Not the start to their first cruise with X with us that we were hoping for :(

Lou

Roughly how much notice has everyone received for their boarding time? We sail in August with a family group of 17. We all have cabins on different decks. For those without priority boarding are they boarding "highest deck to lowest deck" or "lowest to highest deck".

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Forums mobile app

Roughly how much notice has everyone received for their boarding time? We sail in August with a family group of 17. We all have cabins on different decks. For those without priority boarding are they boarding "highest deck to lowest deck" or "lowest to highest deck".

The boarding times are part of the edocs when they are issued. Apparently its due to works at the Southampton terminal reducing seating areas but I dont get that since once boarding starts there is no need to be seated....you check in then board. The times allocated are by deck, starting top to bottom.

The wording in the edocs is muddled, says recommended times, not before 11.30, preferred embarkation times and then mentions being turned away if you arrive too soon. Seems like they are really fudging their statement on this.

Given edocs dont appear until after final payment date many will have made transport arrangements already and wont be happy being turned away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Like Kevin, I found the wording on the eDocs very contradictory for check-in times.

'Recommended' suggests that the times are options.

'You'll be turned away' suggests they are not.

They are being done by deck... here's an excerpt:

Deck 11 & 12 ----------------- 11:30

Deck 10 ---------------------- 12:00

Deck 9 ----------------------- 12:30

Deck 8 ----------------------- 13:30

Deck 7 ----------------------- 14:15

Deck 3 & 6 ------------------- 15:00

My car park voucher says arrive from 10:30, so I assume the check-in times are not for baggage drop-off or parking, but for the actual check-in desks. I plan to arrive at 11:00-ish and by the time I've queued to drop off baggage and parked it should be around 11:30.

I'm on Deck 10, so if I do get turned away I only have half an hour to wait.

Edited by dst87

Like Kevin, I found the wording on the eDocs very contradictory for check-in times.

'Recommended' suggests that the times are options.

'You'll be turned away' suggests they are not.

They are being done by deck... here's an excerpt:

Deck 11 & 12 ----------------- 11:30

Deck 10 ---------------------- 12:00

Deck 9 ----------------------- 12:30

Deck 8 ----------------------- 13:30

Deck 7 ----------------------- 14:15

Deck 3 & 6 ------------------- 15:00

My car park voucher says arrive from 10:30, so I assume the check-in times are not for baggage drop-off or parking, but for the actual check-in desks. I plan to arrive at 11:00-ish and by the time I've queued to drop off baggage and parked it should be around 11:30.

I'm on Deck 10, so if I do get turned away I only have half an hour to wait.

I never remember sitting down. I was called soon after I entered the area with my DH. I am just going to do what I did the last time in Southampton...it worked so well!

Edited by Lastdance

I for one am delighted Celebrity want to streamline boarding. We will arrive on the Friday night and plan accordingly for the next day. We will arrange a late checkout if necessary.

Last time we arrived at just after 12 noon. First we queued to drop off our luggage for about 30minutes. We then parked the car . We then queued to get through security and the X-ray machines for almost 90minutes. Check took another 15 minutes, we were fast tracked as AQ class and Elite at this stage. We even queued up the gangway and that was hot as it is enclosed with class. It was well after 2.30 pm when we got on board hot, thirsty and a bit cross.

This is not the way I want to start my cruise.

However if a party has split booking in times Celebrity should advise them accordingly, a simple rule should be everyone can book in at the earliest time. It's hardly rocket science after all they will have to apply this rule for all those arriving by Celebrity transfer.

I have been invited to sit down at Southampton, but it was on a P&O cruise, which is a different Terminal. The quickest I have embarked was when we had a bus transfer from home(Evesways)

When we drove to the Terminal, we had to queue to drop off our baggage, then were directed to where we parked the car.

I was glad that we had luggage tags, as that would have entailed another queue. However, when we dropped off our luggage, we had to be re-issued with different tags, they were the wrong colour.:eek:

Thank you for the quick replies :). The timings arent great but hopefully they wont be as strict on the boarding times. We have a 1230 slot which is still good for us (yes 4 months in advance and I have already planned that I want bistro on 5 for lunch lol). Unfortunately alot of our family will have a boarding slot of 2 hours later which isnt ideal. We will be staying in Southampton the night. I would hate to have travelled from the airport or London that morning and be turned away for showing up too early.

We have been invited to sit and wait for boarding at Southampton too. We left our hotel at 1015. I think we were in the "waiting room" at 11. We only waited for 30mins or so though.

Edited by xxpinksaltxx

Last May on Eclipse from Southampton I went from driving through the gates to being on board in about 40 minutes. I was very happy with that.

It will be interesting to see how things compare in 13 days!

Thank you for the quick replies :). The timings arent great but hopefully they wont be as strict on the boarding times. We have a 1230 slot which is still good for us (yes 4 months in advance and I have already planned that I want bistro on 5 for lunch lol). Unfortunately alot of our family will have a boarding slot of 2 hours later which isnt ideal. We will be staying in Southampton the night. I would hate to have travelled from the airport or London that morning and be turned away for showing up too early.

We have been invited to sit and wait for boarding at Southampton too. We left our hotel at 1015. I think we were in the "waiting room" at 11. We only waited for 30mins or so though.

I would definitely call Celebrity and ask about whether your party could all board with the one with the earliest time. I think if most abide by the times, they would probably make exceptions for families/groups traveling together. The problem lies if everyone comes before their allotted and you know how some people get about wanting to be the first on the ship, then probably not so much.

I would be extremely surprised if anyone is turned away at any time. X are simply trying to manage the processing of passengers across a few hours, and hoping most will "fall in line"....no pun intended!

The funny thing is Royal Caribbean customers using the same terminal are being told the changes to check in times are due to roadworks in the area and Celebrity passengers are being told it is due to work sin the terminal (after it has been sitting empty for 6 months!)

Cunard have had a similar system for years with recommended check in times as per your deck. I would suggest if all those people who have been told they can't check in until 3pm actually did, the ship would never manage to do its muster drill at 4pm and sail at 4.30pm.

Ian

There is a thread about this on the Royal Caribbean board. Take a look at post #17 from Lotus Girl. This refers to something posted on the RC/Celebrity Facebook page from a member of staff. Take note of the comments in bold http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=42570874#post42570874

I'm not sure I would risk turning up early just on the off-chance of them letting me on anyway.

Hi,

I have seen this, but I won't be taking what someone says on their facebook page as 100%, compared to what my embarcation letter from the cruise line actually tells me.

I really do fear a complete mess at the terminal though, leaving people unhappy before their cruise even starts :(

Hi,

I have seen this, but I won't be taking what someone says on their facebook page as 100%, compared to what my embarcation letter from the cruise line actually tells me.

I really do fear a complete mess at the terminal though, leaving people unhappy before their cruise even starts :(

I agree. The first cruise affected by this, the moment they start to turn away people who havnt seen the edocs boarding schedule or choose to ignore it then its going to be chaos. Many wont walk away, they will simply hang around causing congestion.

Interestingly the staff member quoted on the other thread says its due to problems 'around town' yet the edocs say its due to refurbishment at the terminal which limits seating. Which is it?

There is nothing around the terminal in terms of refreshments so the only options for those turned away are to stand outside in the open, whatever the weather, or walk for 10 mins into town. So what about those not dressed for the weather, carrying bags, wheelchair passengers, unable to walk any distance? My mind boggles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by kevinyork

Suite, Pinnacle, Diamond Plus, Diamond, Emerald and Platinum Guests can check-in anytime at their convenience between the hours of 11:00am and 3:30pm. Gold Members are asked to refer to their assigned check-in time as shown above. We appreciate your assistance and thank you for your understanding.

Just sounds similar to airline check in.

I agree. The first cruise affected by this, the moment they start to turn away people who havnt seen the edocs boarding schedule or choose to ignore it then its going to be chaos. Many wont walk away, they will simply hang around causing congestion.

But if this is part of the new set-up and therefore contained in the e-docs why wouldn't people see it? If they see their other documents why would this page be invisible to them? Which means the only people turning up are those who - as you put it - choose to ignore it, or those who've been advised by people on these boards to ignore it.

Word will soon get around on these boards if people are being turned away.

It is all well and good to ask people to arrive and board at a specific time. However, travel cannot be organised like that. There will be delays in getting to the dock, families/friends on different decks, what are they to do? If someone is arriving at one of the airports they may well not make their specified check in time.

Then there are the buses. They will have people from all different decks onboard. I have read that the bus will be given the same check in time for everyone on the bus. Bus is delayed, whole bus load arrives at later time. People arriving with wheelchairs or with disabilities, they are going to really enjoy not being able to board when they arrive.

Oh yes, thank you Celebrity. We can drop off our luggage at the dock and go shopping or look around the town. Hmmmm, can't wait to go shopping with our overnight bags full of medication and valuables so important to us that we don't want to put them in the regular suitcases, in fact we are advised not to put them in the suitcases. A gift for any thieves, thugs, muggers that may be around the port and town centre knowing there are rich pickings to be had.

I may well be wrong, but I can only think there will be complete chaos and a lot of angry people.

We are determined to enjoy all aspects of our holiday, just means that the day we board may not be the same happy experience we have enjoyed on other cruises.

Good luck to all the staff at the docks, hope everyone is polite and do not take it out on the lovely check in staff.

But if this is part of the new set-up and therefore contained in the e-docs why wouldn't people see it? If they see their other documents why would this page be invisible to them? Which means the only people turning up are those who - as you put it - choose to ignore it, or those who've been advised by people on these boards to ignore it.

Word will soon get around on these boards if people are being turned away.

My e-docs say check in anytime between 11.30 and 3.30pm in the joining letter. That suits me :D

You presumably are a Captain's Club member, so have priority check in!

Hi, Yes I am, although one of my group in a seperate cabin is not a captains club member, but also has a check in time of 11.30 - 3.30pm. This is stated on both their e-ticket and boarding letter from Celebrity :confused:

We sail from Southampton in 2 months and we have been given a check-in time of 11.30 - 15.30 .. it's our first time with Celebrity so we aren't Captain's Club members and we are in a regular veranda cabin.

I understand that improvements were being made to the approaches to the port /cruise terminals (I guess with ensuing traffic congestion), but they were due to be finished about now, so maybe that's why we haven't been given a time slot :confused: