Decline in RCI Customer Service?

Apparently I'm the only American who's not happy with the customer service experience pre-cruise. It all starts with the long wait times.

Then they can't find the prices I'm looking at. They actually have asked me to put the room on hold and tell them the confirmation number so they can see what I'm looking at. They have great difficulty making reservation adjustments. Some reps are rude although most aren't. Many are just plain uninformed. Cruise prices change on my reservation for no reason. I once had to figure out why my cruise documents were never ready. They had adjusted the price upwards and until I paid it off they weren't going to make them ready. I figured it out and had to prove that I had already paid off the cruise.

It goes on and on.

Yesterday the girl who answered couldn't speak directly into the phone, then after being a bit rude after coming back from resolutions which initially she didn't want to do, disconnected me. At least I got my updated confirmation by email.

Lately I've had to spend so much time on the phone prior to the cruise that it has become a chore just to book cruises. We aren't booking anything else other than our two open bookings any time soon. Between the little revenue producing slams (yes, I realize they need to make money but not at the expense of the little things) and the poor customer service I've experienced (even from shareholder benefits) we are becoming disenchanted.

The on board experience continues to shine. Officers and crews are what RCI has going for them right now.

Gina

Apparently I'm the only American who's not happy with the customer service experience pre-cruise. It all starts with the long wait times.

It does amaze me how many times I read this and wonder if I'm just lucky (knocking on wood). I did have a problem last year with a lost deposit but everyone was courteous, responsive, and professional. I've never had a long wait or a discourteous rep. It's hard to explain the different experiences within the same company.

It does amaze me how many times I read this and wonder if I'm just lucky (knocking on wood). I did have a problem last year with a lost deposit but everyone was courteous, responsive, and professional. I've never had a long wait or a discourteous rep. It's hard to explain the different experiences within the same company.

At least when I call and have to wait, I'm given an automated expected wait time. The last time the expected 13 minute wait time only turned into 20 minutes. And it was the first time I got someone that seemed disinterested in helping from the start. At least most of the time they are polite and seem to want to help in spite of not always knowing how to be successful in doing so.

I certainly hope they are checking these boards because while my experience has been really great it is going to do grave harm to have all these negatives. It is very true that the answers should be the same to the same question so I wonder where all the differences happen. Come on Royal get consistent across the board so everyone can say the same things I do. We know you can do it or we wouldn't be so "Loyal to Royal". It sounds like you are losing some of your loyals. Hopefully, those of you waiting for the callback will be getting it ASAP.

I certainly hope they are checking these boards because while my experience has been really great it is going to do grave harm to have all these negatives. It is very true that the answers should be the same to the same question so I wonder where all the differences happen. Come on Royal get consistent across the board so everyone can say the same things I do. We know you can do it or we wouldn't be so "Loyal to Royal". It sounds like you are losing some of your loyals. Hopefully, those of you waiting for the callback will be getting it ASAP.

If you read back you will see that the inconsistencies arise due to the difference in location. Almost ALL the poor experiences have been on account of the UK office moving it's operation to Guatemala and replacing what used to be an excellent service. I am sure that most of the answers would have been regarding negative service if the OP had used the title 'Decline in UK customer service'

As to whether they monitor these boards, and care about what's said on here, I doubt that very much....

Edited by Bobal

You're right, it is harming their reputation to have so many unhappy UK customers. There are complaints on social media sites from UK customers too.

A cruising buddy of mine who has been on 14 RCI cruises has just booked his next 2 with Princess, because the staff who used to handle his bookings so efficiently have been replaced by people who don't seem to have a clue, and don't keep their promises. He said it's just too much hassle to stick with RCI, and he will check them out again next year to see if they have sorted themselves out, but go with one of the competitors for now. I'm sure he's not alone.

Bobal, I did read that but I also hear the same complaint from cruisers here in the states. You talk to one rep and get one answer and talk to another and get another answer. I think you should be confident that the answers will be the same no matter to whom you speak. As I said, our experiences lately have been exceptionally good and I HOPE they will make sure that EVERYONE can say the same very soon. I hate reading that people are jumping to other lines because they feel they are not being served efficiently. I know they can do it because they have done it for me and I certainly hope it is not only because we are Diamond Plus!

I am beginning to wonder if moving their Customer Service centre to Guatemala is going to cause an additional problem for UK customers.

A very nice customer services supervisor who was dealing with my problem last night promised to call me back this morning at 10am. It is now after 2pm, and no call. Surely he didn't mean 10am Guatemala time?? :eek: If he did, he should have been clear about that, because the time difference is 7 hours!!

And so it goes on........ :rolleyes:

To add insult to injury, in addition to offering us poor service, RCI are now discriminating against customers of selected nationalities, including UK citizens, with offers that clearly state they are only for American and Canadian customers. In other situations this wouldn't be legal, surely?

I really don't think they want our custom any more! :eek:

To add insult to injury, in addition to offering us poor service, RCI are now discriminating against customers of selected nationalities, including UK citizens, with offers that clearly state they are only for American and Canadian customers. In other situations this wouldn't be legal, surely?

I really don't think they want our custom any more! :eek:

They have deals on their UK site that are only for UK and European customers and deals on their US site only for US and Canadian customers. I don't know about the legality, but I believe other companies do similar things.

My experience has been good. The biggest problem is getting them to answer the phone. I've had long wait times.

AGREE!! Although they have been pretty great the hold times have ben horrendous!! Several days at 55 min hold time - once 65 min! I think they cut back on help as the day I was on hold for 65 I gave them an earful about the wait times. She agreed and said answering the phones wasn't her job, but Royal put her there to help with call volume!

AGREE!! Although they have been pretty great the hold times have ben horrendous!! Several days at 55 min hold time - once 65 min! I think they cut back on help as the day I was on hold for 65 I gave them an earful about the wait times. She agreed and said answering the phones wasn't her job, but Royal put her there to help with call volume!

They do seem to have people just passing through the department and taking calls who don't normally work on the telephones. No wonder they don't know what they are talking about when they are asked a question!

I have been put on hold several times while someone checks something and then comes back to say they will call back - and they don't.

I think the time difference between the UK and Central America may be a factor in people not calling back when they say they will, but it's not a good reason and it's certainly not good practice :mad:

I'm finding dealing with the new set up very frustrating :mad:

Nobody seems to do what they say they will. No return calls or emails whrn they promise to resolve things. They transferred me to a third party agent (Travelbox?) last time I spoke to them, and it was a nightmare. I don't want to deal with a third party and have to go over all my details again.

It's really putting me off Royal Caribbean completely. I'm looking at alternatives now. It's a shame. We love their cruises, but are so fed up with the poor service and getting the run around :( Bring back the UK call centre, please!

I have been lucky I guess with calling RCL. Sad to hear of all the problems.

Other countries get deals, Australia got deals on our Radiance inaugural cruises and we sure didn't!

I too have noticed a decline in Customer Service, even since last year.

Some minor issues when we booked but nothing that bothered me too much.

Then last week I emailed asking could they give an indication of the location where their shuttle service drops in a certain 3 ports. The reply was

> > We do not offer shuttle services in any of our ports. we only offer shore

> > excursions, below i attached the brochure with the available excursions

> for

> > your cruise.

Knowing that this is simple not true I responded asking when and why have they cancelled shuttle service in port. Somebody else responded saying that they may or may not offer shuttle services and that I should email shorex@rccl.com. So I sent my query to them and have not had any response as yet ( 4 days later).

While it won't put me off using RCI I certainly find it a pain in the butt trying to get a straight answer to a straight forward question. They should not make serious factual errors when responding to customers regardless of whether they are located in the UK or Guatemala.

Hi, Irish Cath

The problem may be terminology. If, by "shuttle service", you were referring to RC transportation from the airport to the pier, Royal Caribbean refers to those as "transfers". You might have better luck if you ask the call centre staff about "transfer" costs.....but only if this is what you had in mind when you asked about shuttle service. Hope this helps.

Having spoken now to 6 different people, and had numerous emails that don't make sense, the latest one says that it will take them 21 days to reply to my enquiry. Even my local authority can manage to respond in a fraction of that time! :eek:

Unlikely to continue to be a customer after my next cruise. It's just too stressful :(

Unlikely to continue to be a customer after my next cruise. It's just too stressful :(

I've had various problems off and on since last August from pricing to cruise point issues. It always involves long hold times and usually resolutions involvement.

Apparently we cruise too often or we wouldn't have so many issues. I'm sure RCI hasn't noticed that we've booked no cruises at all during this recent BOGOHO promotion. We have a few open bookings we have to use. But after my most recent over the top issue, I've really had it. Four cruises we have booked in 2015 will be canceled since air hasn't been booked.

I'm sure there are plenty of new cruisers eagerly ready to take my place.

It is definitely not up to the standard we were used to, and that's a shame.

I have had to deal with about 10 different people now and it is so frustrating. Everybody says different things and promises to get back and never do. Nobody seems to know what they are doing! :mad:

I don't know what it's like in the UK, but I spoke to customer service in Oregon, and couldn't be happier with their response.

It does seem to mainly be a problem for us here in the UK, because the UK office, which was great, has relocated to Central America and it appears to be total chaos!

I'm glad it's not happening everywhere, but it is a real problem for us! We were used to the same standard of great service as you currently receive, but not any more I'm afraid. Our experience is that, at best it is inconsistent. Hopefully it will improve in time, but many UK customers are becoming so frustrated at the poor service they are threatening to book with the competitors in future. That's certainly my view just now :(

I called RCCL's "Royal Romance" team two weeks ago to begin the wedding planning process. I left a message but still haven't had a call back yet.

Judging by the posts here on CC's "Honeymoons & Weddings" forum, that's pretty typical.

Well it's been nearly a month since this thread was started and I can tell you that when trying to contact RCI Customer Service/Sales from the UK is no better.

Forewarning - you'll be as tired as I am of RCI by the time you've read this! :)

Background: One of our bookings for 2016 now shows this message when you look at the reservation online.

Prices shown reflect the Exclusive Rate that you have selected. A valid driver's licence or state-issued ID; US or Canadian military ID; or US or Canadian local, state or federal law enforcement, fire department or EMT employment badge or ID must be presented at the pier to validate eligibility for the applicable Exclusive Rate. If eligibility cannot be validated, you will be charged the standard rate or otherwise will be denied boarding

This was never showing when the booking was made. So why is it now? It implies to me that I need to show some sort of N. American ID which seeing I'm in the UK is not possible.

So off I go to try and call RCI. I use the number I have always used to be told this is no longer valid and to call using a so called 'low cost' number, which as you guess isn't a toll free number!

Anyway, here's a list of the hoops I had to go through to get connected to a representative:

1. If you are a Direct Guest - press 1 - I pressed 1
  2. If you want to know about UK cruises, press 1, International, press 2, anything else, press 3 - I pressed 3
  3. Do you want a brochure, press 1, if you have a booking ID press 2 - I pressed 2
  4. If this is a group booking, press 1, if you booked via a TA, press 2, anything else, press 3 - I pressed 3 (I am a direct guest if you remember the first question!)
  5. If you have returned from your cruise, press 1, anything else press 2 - I pressed 2
  6. If your query is about flights, press 1, anything else press 2 - I pressed 2
  7. Shore Excursions, press 1, Future Cruise Certificate, press 2, Itinerary changes, press 3, anything else, press 4 - I pressed 4

Guess what? The message then was 'The lines are closed, please call back later, alternatively our sales office is open'. Excuse me, I thought this is who I was calling and jumping through the above hoops to talk to someone!

So I repeated the above telephone ritual, but selected option 3 when I got to the final option!

I was put through to a representative to whom I explained about the appearance of the message above on my booking when viewed on line.

It took 3 attempts to convince her that I had NOT received it in an email from Miami which she kept assuming is how I had been notified.

I asked were there any notes on the booking, to which she advised, no, everything was OK. Then why the message?

Her reply was that they are having problems with the Pre-Cruise Planner on the web and could I please bear with them. I can't see the connection, but hey I was only in IT for 34 years so what would I know about software testing and implementation. :D

So, she then asks if there is anything else? Err yes actually. I have now turned D+ and from reading the experiences of others on CC, (didn't tell her that bit), I believe the balcony discount for D+ is slightly higher than that for D, so can I have the extra applied to the booking?

Rep - your D discount was applied in March

Me - yes, I was D then, but now I'm D+

Rep - your D discount was applied correctly in March

Me - yes, I know but I'm now talking about a D+ discount

Rep - aah, I'd have to check

Me - no problem, let's leave it as it is as there's a long time until 2016

Rep - have a good day

So, I know you'll say call C&A, well it's a public holiday here in the UK and so their offices are closed. I can't call Mon-Fri as I work longer hours than C&A (I start before they open and finish after they close).

So perhaps I'll email and wait the 21 days they say it takes to reply.

Or maybe I'll send this example of customer service to Adam! What do you think?

Edited by peteukmcr

We have the same message about the exclusive rate showing on our Splendour booking for 2015. It appeared in mid April a few weeks after we booked the cruise. At that time the guy we'd always dealt with in the UK office was still there and looked into it for me. He called me back to say it was a problem with the new computer system, they knew about it but didn't know how to remove it and lots of UK bookings had the same message. He assured me there would be no problem as it doesn't show on the actual invoice and will be resolved by the time we cruise. I hope it is but if not will print out a copy of the invoice for when we board.

Regarding the expensive phone numbers, there is an old free phone number which still seems to work

0800 0182020

It goes to a switchboard with loads of options, then more options etc but eventually gets answered. Of course whether they can help or not is another matter:)

Julie

mommabean, you have been a long term cruiser with Royal. I certainly hope they are watching these posts and will attempt to make things right for you. I can't imagine they will be happy to start losing their "loyal to Royal" clients who have always supported them. Hope you get some great answers soon. Also, to all you, new to Royal cruisers and UK clients, I sincerely hope they start to turn things around to help you out. Come on,Royal, you are better than this! Step up and take care of business!

Prices shown reflect the Exclusive Rate that you have selected. A valid driver's licence or state-issued ID; US or Canadian military ID; or US or Canadian local, state or federal law enforcement, fire department or EMT employment badge or ID must be presented at the pier to validate eligibility for the applicable Exclusive Rate. If eligibility cannot be validated, you will be charged the standard rate or otherwise will be denied boarding

I was told by the German Office that this message comes from the balcony discount.

What does the PDF say that you got after paying the deposit?

Mine has:

Promo Restrictions: Loyalty Discount

Side note:

The warning you quoted just states that you have to have a government issued Photo ID. Optionally If you are a US citizen a military ID is enough.