Decline in RCI Customer Service?

So, she then asks if there is anything else? Err yes actually. I have now turned D+ and from reading the experiences of others on CC, (didn't tell her that bit), I believe the balcony discount for D+ is slightly higher than that for D, so can I have the extra applied to the booking?

Rep - your D discount was applied in March

Me - yes, I was D then, but now I'm D+

Rep - your D discount was applied correctly in March

Me - yes, I know but I'm now talking about a D+ discount

Rep - aah, I'd have to check

Me - no problem, let's leave it as it is as there's a long time until 2016

Rep - have a good day

So, I know you'll say call C&A, well it's a public holiday here in the UK and so their offices are closed. I can't call Mon-Fri as I work longer hours than C&A (I start before they open and finish after they close).

So perhaps I'll email and wait the 21 days they say it takes to reply.

Or maybe I'll send this example of customer service to Adam! What do you think?

It may be different in the U.K., but I recently changed levels here in the U.S. and when I requested the additional discount that I was entitled to upon making Diamond, they repriced the booking at the current rate increasing my cost by $800. With the new reservation system, the computer re-books you. I had to convince Resolutions to give me the original booking rate back. I would not trust this to an e-mail.

Good luck.

I was told by the German Office that this message comes from the balcony discount.

What does the PDF say that you got after paying the deposit?

Mine has:

Side note:

The warning you quoted just states that you have to have a government issued Photo ID. Optionally If you are a US citizen a military ID is enough.

My PDF states 'Restrictions On board booking

Loyalty discount'

both of which are correct so you could be right.

Perhaps this is their new way of doing things, I've just checked our Oasis booking for this year and the PDF states 'Restrictions Not Applicable', and the onboard booking credit and balcony discount are shown only under the 'charges' section.

It doesn't make sense why they would mention US ID for European bookings though.

Julie

We have the same message about the exclusive rate showing on our Splendour booking for 2015. It appeared in mid April a few weeks after we booked the cruise. At that time the guy we'd always dealt with in the UK office was still there and looked into it for me. He called me back to say it was a problem with the new computer system, they knew about it but didn't know how to remove it and lots of UK bookings had the same message. He assured me there would be no problem as it doesn't show on the actual invoice and will be resolved by the time we cruise. I hope it is but if not will print out a copy of the invoice for when we board.

Regarding the expensive phone numbers, there is an old free phone number which still seems to work

0800 0182020

It goes to a switchboard with loads of options, then more options etc but eventually gets answered. Of course whether they can help or not is another matter:)

Julie

Thanks Julie, it helps to know that there are others in the 'same boat' so to speak. But again it's another example of their inept IT dept. If I worked in the RCI IT dept. I'd be hanging my head in shame. I never in all my time in IT experienced some of the type of public facing issues that happens on a regular basis with RCI. Thanks for the 0800 number, I'll try that when I've some spare time to hang on the phone selecting one option after another.:D

To everyone else, I've highlighted this farce of a process to get to talk to someone in RCI in contrast (as I posted on another thread last week) to contacting Carnival. Yes, RCI cheerleaders and loyalists, we're changing to Carnival and later Celebrity. Anyway, getting through to Carnival was so easy, within seconds and I think one choice selection I was talking to someone in Denver (even though I only paid for a local UK call) who sorted out my query (and changed a sailing at no extra charge - that's another story) within minutes and obviously knew exactly what she was talking about.

Come on RCI, get your customer service issues sorted.

I don't know about Carnival, but I've called Celebrity, and it took over 1 hour until someone answered. It seems to be a corporate problem.

Well I have our first Celebrity cruise booked and found out today that we have been double charged on the taxes. Same cruise now on the website has taxes half of what we've been invoiced so I can't wait to waste hours on the phone to them. They had better sort out this customer service issue pronto or this maybe the first and last Celebrity cruise.

We've had similar headaches with Guatemala. We changed two cruises to different ships and sail dates and that took the chap about 45 minutes to achieve. He was polite enough but completely useless and wasn't even able to apply the Diamond discount to the reservations. Apparently that has to be done by someone else. I am pretty sure that when the UK office did the reservations they put the discount on immediately. Just another example of the decline in service for UK guests.

And to top it all off - £75 pp to change the reservations. Something that guests in the USA don't have to pay. RCI are really making it feel like they don't want people from the UK on their ships.

So, the question is, can we call RCI in the USA and book through them? The website is blocked (unless you are using VPN software to fool it) and you can't book online if you try to put your billing address as being one from the UK.

PeteUKMCR - we have also booked our first Celebrity cruise to replace the Anthem TA that we were supposed to be going on. The Celebrity call centre is in the UK and manned by some of the staff that used to handle both RCI and Celebrity so they are pretty quick and efficient at what they do. IF you get a chance, it may be worth calling them. It may also be worth highlighting to Adam Goldstein and seeing what he has to say!

We've had similar headaches with Guatemala. We changed two cruises to different ships and sail dates and that took the chap about 45 minutes to achieve. He was polite enough but completely useless and wasn't even able to apply the Diamond discount to the reservations. Apparently that has to be done by someone else. I am pretty sure that when the UK office did the reservations they put the discount on immediately. Just another example of the decline in service for UK guests.

And to top it all off - £75 pp to change the reservations. Something that guests in the USA don't have to pay. RCI are really making it feel like they don't want people from the UK on their ships.

So, the question is, can we call RCI in the USA and book through them? The website is blocked (unless you are using VPN software to fool it) and you can't book online if you try to put your billing address as being one from the UK.

PeteUKMCR - we have also booked our first Celebrity cruise to replace the Anthem TA that we were supposed to be going on. The Celebrity call centre is in the UK and manned by some of the staff that used to handle both RCI and Celebrity so they are pretty quick and efficient at what they do. IF you get a chance, it may be worth calling them. It may also be worth highlighting to Adam Goldstein and seeing what he has to say!

Apparently the £75 transfer charge is waived if you are Diamond plus, but non of the Diamond plus or Pinnacle members who tell me this can provide evidence of this in the UK T&Cs so I don't hold out much hope of those in Guatemala knowing this.

Thanks for the info about Celebrity in the UK, I may give them a try.

I wouldn't mind if I could do all the changes online, but we all know what RCI's IT systems are like! LOL

Good luck getting your Celebrity booking sorted out - I really hope the UK office can help you.

Well I have our first Celebrity cruise booked and found out today that we have been double charged on the taxes. Same cruise now on the website has taxes half of what we've been invoiced so I can't wait to waste hours on the phone to them. They had better sort out this customer service issue pronto or this maybe the first and last Celebrity cruise.

Celebrity have IT issues too :rolleyes:

The website is showing the wrong amount for taxes when making a new booking. If you look at the total cost of what you paid - and the total cost showing on website - should be the same??

I wrote to Adam Goldstein this week and sent him the process I had to go through to talk to someone in Guatemala that I described in my earlier post.

As a result I got a telephone call from Miami from one of his staff who wanted to discuss the issues.

In short, she acknowledged that they were aware of the issues for British guests and Guatemala and are being proactive in sending staff down there to help improve the service. So time will tell.

I wrote to Adam Goldstein this week and sent him the process I had to go through to talk to someone in Guatemala that I described in my earlier post.

As a result I got a telephone call from Miami from one of his staff who wanted to discuss the issues.

In short, she acknowledged that they were aware of the issues for British guests and Guatemala and are being proactive in sending staff down there to help improve the service. So time will tell.

Well they can't send staff from the RCI UK office as they have all been 'let go'...so if they send staff from the USA office they will get really mixed guidence regarding the different policies (ie: not being able to change a Gty room allocation...). It could get worse rather than better :rolleyes:

Well they can't send staff from the RCI UK office as they have all been 'let go'...so if they send staff from the USA office they will get really mixed guidence regarding the different policies (ie: not being able to change a Gty room allocation...). It could get worse rather than better :rolleyes:

A few members of the UK office have moved to Guatamala! And are now employed by Xerox :eek::eek::eek:

This should help improve the service.. hopefully...

Just an update in this long going saga. I had yet another call from a UK based executive regarding my email to Adam Goldstein.

He advised that as from yesterday the number of selection options presented to UK callers to RCI now based in Guatemala will be reduced by 40% meaning that it will be far easier to get to the person you need to talk to. Need to test this out later.

He admitted that they know there are problems, especially since the people initially sent to train the Xerox people have returned to the UK, so they have sent more back for another 6 months. The centre in Guatemala not only deals with the UK but other countries too.

Hopefully things will improve.

Unfortunately, dealing with the RCCL office in Frankfurt (Germany) is not better. They moved their call-center from Frankfurt to the Netherlands and since then, only incompetent people seem to work there. Long waiting times when you call and then the one who answers has less knowledge about ships, cabins and destinations than I do.

On our last cruise on Oasis, we booked a future cruise on Quantum while on board. Because of many problems with the RCCL Frankfurt office before, I asked the Loyalty Desk Manager if, once back home, I can call RCCL Frankfurt and transfer my booking to a TA. She said that this will be no problem at all. Well, for RCCL Frankfurt, it was a huge problem, they refused to do it. Only an email to Richard D. Fain finally solved the issue and they apologized. Bunge of imcompetent people there, from now on, all my bookings are made via a much helpful TA.

Unfortunately, dealing with the RCCL office in Frankfurt (Germany) is not better. They moved their call-center from Frankfurt to the Netherlands and since then, only incompetent people seem to work there. Long waiting times when you call and then the one who answers has less knowledge about ships, cabins and destinations than I do.

On our last cruise on Oasis, we booked a future cruise on Quantum while on board. Because of many problems with the RCCL Frankfurt office before, I asked the Loyalty Desk Manager if, once back home, I can call RCCL Frankfurt and transfer my booking to a TA. She said that this will be no problem at all. Well, for RCCL Frankfurt, it was a huge problem, they refused to do it. Only an email to Richard D. Fain finally solved the issue and they apologized. Bunge of imcompetent people there, from now on, all my bookings are made via a much helpful TA.

I fully endorse your comments about RCCL Frankfurt/ Almere in the Netherlands.

Frankfurt was a service desert, but now in Almere/Netherlands it is a total mess.

I have written to the Frankfurt Operation Manager and phoned with them and they admitted huge problems with Almere. Even floor runners sent from Germany to the new call center could not improve the service. How do you fully train a complete new staff that were truck drivers and supermarket cashiers before to become RCCL experts on C&A , booking and other issues?They still are over committed and do not know the basics:

-if you call the C&A line, you have to advise them on their product and they do not know RCCL rules and regulations

- if you want a price adjustment for same category outside the 60/75 day period they tell you the price reduction is for new bookings only (I had a total of 6 for my last 2 cruises to no avail) and they can not or are not willing to handle these. So as a German early booker you get punished as you are sitting on the price like a duck.

- if you call them for a paid upgrade to higher category, they can not handle the S/W, transfer the problem to Frankfurt for resolution. For my last 2 cruises

the issue could not even be resolved by The Operations Manager who wrote me that this indeed is a flaw and it should not happen . But it does still today!

My TA intervened to no avail. I wrote to than Mr Goldstein and his office transfered the matter to Frankfurt who of course self-protected themselves. Only the Operation Manager admitted "deficiencies".

So for the UK folks - you are not alone, RCCL Germany/Netherlands maybe even worse.

P.S. @ Sumisid: do you have the latest email address for Mr Fein please?

Edited by christi1805

P.S. @ Sumisid: do you have the latest email address for Mr Fein please?

Here it is: rfain@rccl.com

And I got a quick and very friendly answer to my email to Mr. Fain from Cynthia Lembo: CLembo@rccl.com

After I read your post I feel quite lucky with my rather small problems. The call center in the Netherlands seems even worse than I thought.

Here it is: rfain@rccl.com

And I got a quick and very friendly answer to my email to Mr. Fain from Cynthia Lembo: CLembo@rccl.com

After I read your post I feel quite lucky with my rather small problems. The call center in the Netherlands seems even worse than I thought.

Thanx for the email address.

When I wrote to Mr Goldstein when he was still in office , I also got an email from Cynthia Lembo, explaining to me that she will task Frankfurt for the issues. I than received answers from Frankfurt self protecting themselves. Not good to allow the accused delinquent to answer for them self!!!!!

An audit from Miami would be appropriate to uncover the procedural, IT-related and operational deficiencies in Almere (Netherlands) and Frankfurt (Germany) as they still do not come to grips after months of call-center take-over.....

We've been on the phone several times the past few weeks with C&A booking a cruise, then changing it to a different one. All the customer service experience has been exceptional.

I started the thread thinking this would be on board, and when I saw we were talking about phone-email - I knew that the UK folks deal with different people. On the phone I haven't seen any problem, though the length of time to get to someone at the beginning of the BOGOHO was long and it took forever the day of the Grandeur fire or the day Port Everglades closed forcing I think it was Allure to stay out an extra day I've been fine.

I did send my usual comments via email that I always do after a cruise on 5/10 and didn't hear back there.

Just an update in this long going saga. I had yet another call from a UK based executive regarding my email to Adam Goldstein.

He advised that as from yesterday the number of selection options presented to UK callers to RCI now based in Guatemala will be reduced by 40% meaning that it will be far easier to get to the person you need to talk to. Need to test this out later.

He admitted that they know there are problems, especially since the people initially sent to train the Xerox people have returned to the UK, so they have sent more back for another 6 months. The centre in Guatemala not only deals with the UK but other countries too.

Hopefully things will improve.

That sounds encouraging ! I hope they do improve, and soon. :)

We have jumped ship to another company for our summer cruise because we couldn't stand the incompetence and delays at RCI any longer. It was beyond ridiculous :mad:

I'll wait and see how good the reports are from UK cruisers when things settle down. If they return to the standard we were used to before the move to Guatemala (and the standard that most of our American friends seem to enjoy), we hope to return to RCI for our winter one..... If we don't get hooked on the competition that is ;)

Not loyal to Royal, but we DO like their ships :D

I phoned customer service yesterday to pay the balance on my cruise I was on the phone for over half an hour. I was told the balance was 200 pound more than my invoice said. eventually after being put on hold I was cut off. I then rang back was told I owed 500 pound more. I then emailed rci I have received a copy of the original invoice I got. next time I will book with a travel agent so I wont have this hassle.

Just wondered if any other UK cruisers have read the latest issue of the Crown and Anchor magazine. There is an interview with Stuart Leven, the new managing director UK and Ireland. They ask him about the relocation of the call centre to Guatemala and his reply "the move has been seamless and if you notice a difference at all, it will be a good one"

I think he is living in cloud cuckoo land! Unfortunately they do not give any contact details for him, I would certainly like to reply.

Julie