Viewing Totem Poles in Ketchikan

mosbyblue

Both offer some beautiful totems. Also don't dismiss the opportunity to see numerous totems about town, and for authentic totems, the Heritage Totem Museum. Start with the majestic

Eagle totem that greets Ketchikan visitors at the cruise docks. :)

Here's a link to the public bus schedule along with a map. We got on at the Dock and Creek St. (library) bus stop--No. 8 on the map. A lot more people got on at stop No. 9 (Front St. Tunnel) and had to stand until more seats became available. Taking the bus is one of the great bargains--$1 each way (50 cents for senior citizens 65 and older).

Here's a link to the public bus schedule along with a map. We got on at the Dock and Creek St. (library) bus stop--No. 8 on the map. A lot more people got on at stop No. 9 (Front St. Tunnel) and had to stand until more seats became available. Taking the bus is one of the great bargains--$1 each way (50 cents for senior citizens 65 and older).

The above link is out of date - the schedules have changed and now you use the grey line. Try this one.

http://www.borough.ketchikan.ak.us/bus/documents/NewScheduleJuly3.pdf

Edited by DaveOKC

I really enjoyed Totem Bight, and it's easy to get to on the public bus. It's a very cheap DIY excursion, which gives you as much time as you want at the park to study the totems and enjoy the forest and water. At the entrance, be sure to pick up the pamphlet with interpretive info on the totems.

I really enjoyed Totem Bight, and it's easy to get to on the public bus. It's a very cheap DIY excursion, which gives you as much time as you want at the park to study the totems and enjoy the forest and water. At the entrance, be sure to pick up the pamphlet with interpretive info on the totems.

Potlatch Park, next door, is also well worth the visit for more totems and many times the ability to see some carvers.

The Totem bight totem guide is available online. I suggest printing out a copy, since, they are out occasionally

Is it doable to take public bus out to totem bight if ship doesn't arrive til 8 and we have a tour scheduled for 1pm. I.e. we need to be back at docks at 12:30? Should we plan on doing heritage center instead? Will have 10yr old son in tow and he would like to see totems

Thanks

Edited by Scraptraci

Is it doable to take public bus out to totem bight if ship doesn't arrive til 8 and we have a tour scheduled for 1pm. I.e. we need to be back at docks at 12:30? Should we plan on doing heritage center instead? Will have 10yr old son in tow and he would like to see totems

Thanks

Take a look at the bus schedule, you ideally need to allow 3 hours. So should be doable, if you get yourself going. :)

The "town" is also loaded with totems, that are walkable from the docks. I especially enjoy viewing the totems out the back of the Fox Lodge.