Laundry Question

I have read that you can hang a clothes line in the bathroom to dry clothes that you've washed by hand. Has anyone done this? How do you hang the line? With clips or suction cups or what? Exactly where do you hang it?

Thanks.

There is a built in line in all the showers. You don't need to bring anything.

I usually pack a few clothespin or clips. I have some small magnetic ones that come in handy for lots of purposes. You can use them to hold curtains closed to keep out the sun... Hanging up wet clothes... Hanging skirts or pants in the closet (there are hangers provided of course.) And since they are magnetic, I've hung them on the back of the door to hold lightweight things - cruise compass, lanyard, hat., etc.

I think I got a pack of them at the dollar store and they were packaged as chip clips (like to hold closed a bag of chips -- of course useful for that, too, if you travel with packaged snacks.) But they have a magnet on them.

Have always used the line in the shower, however, on the Allure our cabin did not have one - we have sailed the Allure 3 times always in regular ocean view balcony cabins; not sure if other cabins/suits have a line. Really missed it! So be aware of this!

Don't really wash much - just undies or rinse out really sweaty t-shirts, etc.

Always take a few clothes pins just to hold swim suits, etc. on the balcony chairs. In the humidity if you are in the Caribbean, they can take a long time to dry.

In my experience, balcony chairs work far better than the bathroom clothesline. There is far too much humidity in those tiny bathrooms. The breeze from the ship movement also accelerates the drying. Just be careful to secure your clothes.

I bring 3 or 4 plastic clothes hangers that I hang on the line in the shower to dry swim trunks or t-shirts. The trick is, after washing or rinsing out whatever the item may be, is to lay it on one-half of a bath towel, fold the other half of the towel over it, and roll it up. Then either roll on a hard surface or wring (depending on the fabric/delicacy) to get as much water out as possible before hanging to dry.

It may still take time depending on the humidity in the bathroom, but we generally have dry clothes by morning.

I hang anything wet (well, damp) from a hanger, and hang the hanger or the airvent in the room....things dry quickly with airflow! In the bathroom, it takes forever! If you put anything on the balcony, make sure it's secure....it can be windy enough to blow things overboard!

I bring 3 or 4 plastic clothes hangers that I hang on the line in the shower to dry swim trunks or t-shirts. The trick is, after washing or rinsing out whatever the item may be, is to lay it on one-half of a bath towel, fold the other half of the towel over it, and roll it up. Then either roll on a hard surface or wring (depending on the fabric/delicacy) to get as much water out as possible before hanging to dry.

It may still take time depending on the humidity in the bathroom, but we generally have dry clothes by morning.

I also use the roll the wet clothes item up in a towel technique and it greatly helps remove water from the garment and help with drying.

I have also then hung these damp items in the closet using a hanger with clips on it and on hangers with clothes pins I brought. I pack a few things on hangers and use these plastic hangers. I push the clothes to one side and hang them on the rod, with space between them to help with drying. I mostly hand wash swimsuits since they smell bad with sea water in them, if I don't. They are usually dry by morning, or at least dry enough to use again.

Edited by KansasK

You take a chance of the clothes blowing off the balcony into the ocean if you put them on the balcony chairs. Just a warning.

We bring clips. They work great. Easy to pack, they also hold your towel from sliding on the pool loungers.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app