International Calling

Grumpy100

We are going to Iceland in May and was wondering what would be the best way to go about getting phone service while we are gone.

I have a AT&T cell phone service but do not have international service.

I have the Iphone 5.

I just went on line and looked up "Mobal" the international phone that you can buy for $29.00. It gives you one international number that is exclusively yours forever. They bill you only if you use if for 99 cents per minute. Incoming texts are free but are 80 cents to send.

I will only use this in an emergency. What would be the most least expensive way to acquire phone service for emergencies while we are there.

We are not going on a cruise but a land tour that is self-driving around Iceland for 10 days and as Iceland is very isolated I want to have something for emergencies.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

If you truly are only going to use the phone for an emergency, why purchase a plan? Just make the call at the time of the emergency. Probably be less than 29.00 and .99 per minute.

If the issue will require several international calls to resolve, find wifi then go online and sign up for a plan at that time.

We are not going on a cruise but a land tour that is self-driving around Iceland for 10 days and as Iceland is very isolated I want to have something for emergencies.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I would check out trip advisor the Iceland forum

If it is so isolated will you get a signal to make a call ???

If you really are just using it for emergencies, don't bother. When I travel abroad, I basically just use my cell for emergencies and the occasional text to/from my wife (or some friends who don't know I'm out of the country). I end up spending like $10 to $15 extra that month in cell phone charges. $20 at most. Just make sure (1) data fetching is turned off, and (2) data roaming is turned off. Really, the latter should cover the fetching, but just to be safe. Data roaming is the most important one to turn off, so you don't end up with unexpected data charges (downloading app updates, downloading e-mails, etc.)

I would check out trip advisor the Iceland forum

If it is so isolated will you get a signal to make a call ???

Iceland, and really all Scandinavian countries, have among the highest usage rates of mobile phones in the world. I'd say they probably work ;)

You should have no problem using the iPhone 5 in Iceland.

I went ahead and purchased a 30 minute plan from AT&T and a 50 text message plan and just added to my monthly cell phone bill for (1) month.

Snowskier: If I wasn't stranded in the middle of nowhere then I would make the call. The reason I would want a cell phone is if we broke down on the side of the road and noone was around.....

I may be tempted to call our daughter or mother-in-law or send a picture so I got the 50 text for $10.00 so I am now all covered.