Broken ankle on Oasis

Hoping for some input... We are embarking on the Oasis in about two and a half weeks. My mother just broke her ankle! :eek: She is being a real trooper about it, and she has a soft cast so she can remove it to go in the water which is good. I am wondering if there are wheelchairs/scooters available and, if so, how to procure one. Obviously we don't have an accessible stateroom (since we otherwise didn't need one) so we could not keep one for the week, but if she gets really tired on her crutches (she broke her back a few years ago and the crutches bother her back), is there anything we could use (or rent) for a day? Any insight would be greatly appreciated, I don't want her cruise to be ruined because of this!!!

Your best bet would be to contact the special needs department. Here's the info from Royal's website

Q: What if I have a disability or special need? s.gif A: We welcome guests with disabilities and special needs and work hard to assist them throughout their vacation. To receive appropriate assistance, be sure to notify our Access Department in writing (fax: 954-628-9622;

email: special_needs@rccl.com )

First, I would try to call RCCL and see if they have a handicapped accessible room available, can't hurt to try. Second, I know you can arrange to have a wheelchair/scooter brought to the pier for you to use for the week, then they would pick it up at the end. It's not too expensive, we have done this for my mother in law. The issue would be where to store it. I don't think the hallways are wide enough to leave it in all week.

Call RCCL and see what they can do ASAP. The Oasis is a big ship and she may have a difficult time. My mother in law is elderly and she has a difficult time without the broken ankle!

Edited by funfamilyof6

Sorry to hear the news about her ankle. RCI only provides wheelchairs for getting on and off the ship. If you feel she might need one for use during the cruise, my suggestion is you call a local medical supply company and see about renting one to have available for her if need be. Its an added expense but a much better alternative than to have it impact the enjoyment of the cruise. Good luck and best wishes to all.

RCCL only provides wheelchair assistance on embarkation day and disembarkation day. Also RCCL does not rent wheelchairs on board the ship for daily use. If you require a wheelchair for during the cruise you either have to bring one with you or contact one of the following pre-approved RCCL vendors to rent one and have it delivered to the ship.

http://www.Carevacations.com

http://www.Specialneedsatsea.com

Wow thank you all so much for the quick responses. I called RCI and the only accessible room is a JS for 4 times what we paid. I think we will look into renting one from a local place in Fort Lauderdale. If we get one that can fold up (those do exist right? my wheelchair knowledge is clearly lacking), I would think it would fit ok in our OV balcony cabin. Maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Wow thank you all so much for the quick responses. I called RCI and the only accessible room is a JS for 4 times what we paid. I think we will look into renting one from a local place in Fort Lauderdale. If we get one that can fold up (those do exist right? my wheelchair knowledge is clearly lacking), I would think it would fit ok in our OV balcony cabin. Maybe?

I'm sure it would fit if you can fold it up. You might be able to fit a scooter in the cabin if the bed is near the balcony. Do you know where your bed is positioned in the cabin? Scooters are sometimes more narrow and your mother would not need you to push her. The folding wheelchair isn't a bad idea as long as your mother doesn't plan on being by herself much, she may have a tough time moving it depending on what kind of condition she is in.

Edited by funfamilyof6

I'm sure it would fit if you can fold it up. You might be able to fit a scooter in the cabin if the bed is near the balcony. Do you know where your bed is positioned in the cabin? Scooters are sometimes more narrow. and your mother would not need you to push her. The folding wheelchair isn't a bad idea as long as your mother doesn't plan on being by herself much, she may have a tough time moving it depending on what kind of condition she is in.

I don't know the configuration, unfortunately. But there are three adults in the cabin so it would probably be pretty cramped. She is only 59 years young so she could wheel herself if she had to (I think) but I wouldn't be a good daughter if I didn't wheel her around everywhere!

Seriously thank you everyone for the help. This is new territory for us and it's just so great how helpful everyone on these boards can be!

Or if she does not really need a wheelchair or scooter, how about a walker or rollator? I have had foot surgery and a knee replacement in the last couple of years and am about the same age as your mother. I was dangerous on crutches but a walker with wheels was a real help and kept me much steadier, more mobile and I felt less self-conscious (although I was probably more obvious).

I don't know the configuration, unfortunately. But there are three adults in the cabin so it would probably be pretty cramped. She is only 59 years young so she could wheel herself if she had to (I think) but I wouldn't be a good daughter if I didn't wheel her around everywhere!

Seriously thank you everyone for the help. This is new territory for us and it's just so great how helpful everyone on these boards can be!

When we go on cruises, my mother in law doesn't like to do excursions and stays behind on the ship most of the time which is why we like for her to have the ability to get around on her own and not be stuck in the cabin (she is not able to wheel herself around in the wheelchair).

With 3 people in the cabin I would definitely go with the folding wheelchair option. If you are flying, it may be a good idea to purchase it where you live at a local medical supply store (they sell cheap, light folding ones). It may also be cheaper going this route. If this is not convenient for you, just have a rental company drop off one at the hotel you are staying at or at the pier. Florida is pretty good about this sort of thing. Good luck and have a great time, you sound like a wonderful daughter to have!

Or if she does not really need a wheelchair or scooter, how about a walker or rollator? I have had foot surgery and a knee replacement in the last couple of years and am about the same age as your mother. I was dangerous on crutches but a walker with wheels was a real help and kept me much steadier, more mobile and I felt less self-conscious (although I was probably more obvious).

This is also a great idea...they also have scooters with seats in case she gets tired!

Check with local churches to see if you can borrow a wheelchair. Many churches in Florida keep a supply just for situations like yours and are happy to loan you one. But get one because the ship is really big and you will want it. I never worried about storing it when we took my mom because the room stewards always helped us with that, sometimes in the cabin, sometimes outside, sometimes down the hall. Make sure you put a luggage tag on it so anyone will know where it belongs.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Call special needs at sea. You can rent an electric scooter. My mom did this on our last cruise and they can get you one that will fit in your cabin doorway. My mom was last on NCL and they bring the scooter to your room on the first day then she realized she could not get it into the room and plug it in-into room yes but could not plug in so she told her cabin Stewart and he found out she could charge it in a large holding room for stuff like that that was easy to get to near medical. Each night she left her scooter in th hall by her cabin and called guest srvces and they came and took it to charge it then in the am she called and they delivered it to her room. It was always the same guy I think that ran and got it and they were nice about it. If she was just going into her room to wash up etc she would leave it parked as close to her door as possible or bring it into the room depending. I say get an electric scooter so she can enjoy and not worry she will slow everyone down.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

RCCL only provides wheelchair assistance on embarkation day and disembarkation day. Also RCCL does not rent wheelchairs on board the ship for daily use. If you require a wheelchair for during the cruise you either have to bring one with you or contact one of the following pre-approved RCCL vendors to rent one and have it delivered to the ship.

http://www.Carevacations.com

http://www.Specialneedsatsea.com

I suggest you contact Royal and use the company they recommend. Hubster takes care of my scooter rental this way since my accident.

The reason I suggest this, the ships carry spare scooters. Not for rent, but in case one of the onboard rentals has a problem. It happened to us on a 13 day sailing on the Explorer. It is not widely known, however. DH was a Guest Services on the phone with the rental company (call was not billed to us because it was the recommended rental company). After a little confusion, the replacement scooter arrived at our cabin and the ailing one was taken away.

Übber convenient so far away from where we picked up the scooter!

We are about to do Alaska----married onboard the Radiance before the accident. I just got a GREAT folding walker with a fold down seat but DH arranged for my scooter long ago. I attach a backpack to the back of the seat to carry -----stuffs------ and a bike bell for smiles.

Edited by Donut23

Hoping for some input... We are embarking on the Oasis in about two and a half weeks. My mother just broke her ankle! :eek: She is being a real trooper about it, and she has a soft cast so she can remove it to go in the water which is good. I am wondering if there are wheelchairs/scooters available and, if so, how to procure one. Obviously we don't have an accessible stateroom (since we otherwise didn't need one) so we could not keep one for the week, but if she gets really tired on her crutches (she broke her back a few years ago and the crutches bother her back), is there anything we could use (or rent) for a day? Any insight would be greatly appreciated, I don't want her cruise to be ruined because of this!!!

What is it with ankles? My DH just broke his ankle last weekend and we just cancelled our Oasis cruise, we were supposed to be going the week after you.

Make sure you request a shower chair for her to use so she will be safe. At least she has a soft cast, that makes bathing easier.

While you consider your options, look at a knee scooter. they a simple and compact, so it would fit in a regular cabin. She can go out without a "pusher" and she can sit down on the seat to rest if needed. she might like it at home, too if the crutches are not working well for her.

Husband broke his ankle skydiving, well, not the dive but the landing. No weight on it for 12 weeks -2 plates and 11 screws. He got a small folding scooter. You can buy it or just rent it for the time you need it.

There are 2 types, one you kneel on, the other you sit on. They fold up and are super lightweight, easy to move around. Here is the link to goodbyecrutches.com Should be easy to take on the plane if you need to.

There are a few wheelchair rental companies near the port and some delv to the ship.

One is Affordable rental. 4255 W. Commercial Blvd., Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33319

Phone 954-484-7599 | Fax 954-484-9060 | Toll Free 877-484-7599

I would rent a "transport wheelchair" very light and small wheels. My mom (87y.o.) at the time used one on the Allure last year and had no trouble being "wheeled" around the ship. She did not get off at any port and had a wonderful time never even leaving the ship.

DD severely sprained her ankle two days before one of our cruises (on Celebrity) and we got her a folding wheelchair and it was easy enough to fit that in the room--it worked great. The PPs suggestion of a rollator is excellent as well.

Even on a ship smaller than the Oasis, getting around on crutches was exhausting and it was great to have the chair to get from place to place and then she just used the crutches once at the main location (ie, on the ool deck after getting to the pool from the room, etc).

OP I will be sailing on the EOS next week with a stress fracture in my ankle so I understand trying to work out the logistics of getting around. Crutches are so exhausting.

Call RCI special needs department and request a shower chair.

Also see about renting or purchasing a transport chair, it is much lighter (about 20 lbs) than a standard wheel chair. The big difference is a transport chair does not have the large wheels for self propelling using your arms, some one must push it around. Although I can scoot several feet in a straight line using my good foot. Not having the big wheels also makes it easier to get between tighter spaces. I folds up quite easily too.

Also consider a knee scooter…. just google it….. I just ordered one and I am waiting for it to arrive tomorrow. I think this will give me the most freedom.

We ended purchasing my transport chair and knee scooter, the cost was almost the same to purchase the items then rent them for two months. Also see if insurance will cover the cost.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

HI, we used a national rental company that delivered a foldable wheelchair to our E2 ( small ) balcony on Brilliance in March 2014. They deliver to cabin and come get it no problems. Just price shop for best deal. So sorry about the injury.