CarryOn Bag Charge - New at Frontier

FlyerTalker

For those who "do carryon" to avoid baggage fees, be aware that Frontier is now charging for carryons. The details from the Frontier website can be found HERE. Some commentary by Gary Leff can be found HERE.

At up to $50 per bag for newly purchased tickets (after April 27th), this could be even more pricey than checked bag fees. And for those purchased before, you could even pay up to $100 per carryon.

Caveat Emptor!!

Must say I have no problem with this. There is a place for airlines like Spirit and Frontier. But I'll bet you a buffalo nickel that those who complain loudest are those who caused it (i.e. those who put base fare cost above literally everything else, down to the penny).

Must say I have no problem with this. There is a place for airlines like Spirit and Frontier. But I'll bet you a buffalo nickel that those who complain loudest are those who caused it (i.e. those who put base fare cost above literally everything else, down to the penny).

+1. I like the differentiation. For example from hometown SNA to DEN, the nonstop choices are Frontier, Southwest, and United. Each offers a different price point and "value proposition"....more consumer choice.

I was looking for flights in June to a place that my favored airline (Delta) does not fly into anymore. One of the choices was on Frontier. I never flew them before and I thought it would be fun to try, as the price was basically the same as flying AA/United/Alaska. Well, their new charge just bumped them out of contention. It's a quick weekend trip - I'm NOT paying $100 extra (round trip) to take my overnight bag with me. It would be cheaper to FedEx it to my destination!!!!

I got this email Monday. I don't fly Frontier but they sent it to me anyhow.

I am ROFLMAO because the SUBJECT LINE IS: "Change is Good. We've lowered fares."

"CHANGE IS GOOD.

Especially when it goes back into your pocket.

We've lowered our fares and we're changing the way we charge for travel services. This email is an overview of the changes we’ve made to always offer you Low Fares Done Right.

Beginning today, anyone booking at FlyFrontier.com will be offered lower fares and a new way to select add-on services – including the ability to select your own seat, to purchase a carry-on bags, and to buy a checked bag. With this new approach to pricing, Frontier is committed to giving you a better overall value because you only pay for the services you will use, rather than including them in the price of your fare. In addition to saving you money, the new add on structure will help to ensure you have a better travel experience with Frontier – from now on you’ll have a better chance of getting the seat you want and over the next few months you'll find you no longer have to worry about finding space for your carry-on bag in the overhead bins. Plus, these changes will help us get you to your destination on-time as we’ll have fewer bags to check at the gate.

Here’s how it all works – we will offer two types of fares:

Classic Plus will continue to be our fully refundable fare that includes a carry-on bag to fit in the overhead bin, a checked bag, advance seat assignment, priority services and more.

Economy will start with an amazing low fare. The price includes your flight and one personal item that will fit under the seat. Then, you pay for the add-on choices you want, such as:

1st Checked bag – from $20* (just $15 if you join Frontier’s Discount Den) See our Bag Fee Details

Carry-on bag – from $25* (just $20 if you join Frontier’s Discount Den) See our Bag Fee Details

2nd Checked bag – from $30* See our Bag Fee Details

Ability to choose your seat starting at $3 on every flight**. See our Seating Options

Onboard snacks and refreshments. See our Menu Options.

Learn all the differences between our two fares here."

While they may have lowered fares (I have no reason to check or anything to compare to), they certainly INCREASED their fares by now charging $1.99 for coffee or soda and carryon's. But by doing this, it will sure cut down on the crowding with carryon's. Cheaper to check it.

While they may have lowered fares (I have no reason to check or anything to compare to), they certainly INCREASED their fares by now charging $1.99 for coffee or soda and carryon's. But by doing this, it will sure cut down on the crowding with carryon's. Cheaper to check it.

I was looking at some flights just yesterday MCI-DEN-MCI to visit my best bud who lives in Denver. I looked for late Auguest, which is a time that I've flown to Denver before, and flown to Denver on Frontier before. Fares are like $90 to $100 each way, which seems about what I've paid before.