Anyone Taken a First Time Cruiser Who Hated It?????

CruisinIsGreat

My ex-girlfriend. I had booked a cruise months before I met her on the Oasis of the Seas. I had booked solo so I had technically already paid for another person so three months of dating I asked her if she wanted to go along (in July), especially since her b-day was a few days after the cruise (in November). October came along and we were still dating though there was signs that she wasn't that interested in me anymore. I even thought about removing her from the cruise but I thought the trip might help re-kindle things. Low and behold she never got excited, complained about how hot it was and how everything was too crowded. She would spend maybe an hour in the club before going back to the room and watching the movie channel. She wouldn't want to leave the room and complain when I wanted to go out and enjoy myself. Often times I found myself pretty much roaming the ship alone. When we got home I expressed my disappointment in the trip and her comment was "Well who in their right mind would turn down a free trip?". A week after her b-day I broke up with her...

. One of the couples were close friends that we had been trying to get to cruise with us for years. The other couple were friends of someone in the group.

Toward the end of the cruise I ran into the couple that were not close friends and I asked how they were liking it and would they book another cruise. Definitely not!!! The wife hated shipboard life and felt they were being ripped off with all the add ons. So they will definitely not be cruising again.

Why is it that people who cruise feel that they have to try to convince everyone else in the world that they are missing a great experience if they do not join them on a cruise.

Leave them alone!!

Some people like cruising, some people like sky diving, some people like climbing mountains, and some people actually like to stay home and do nothing. Just because you like it does not mean that other people will.

DON

Well, in his defense, he was stationed in Iraq for a year and has this thing about being below ground level. Normally, I just book the cheapest room. I upgraded, slightly, to a large oceanview stateroom in hopes that he doesn't feel so confined. He also has to stand/sit some where that gives him the best vantage point of the people/area around him. He is concerned about feeling "trapped" on the ship. I told him that they are so large that you don't get that feeling.

As you are an experienced cruiser, I would give him as a much info as you can to prepare him for situations and give him choices on board. As soon as you are on board, I would give him the full tour - starting with the most open decks. Use the stairs, not the lifts. Not sure how your Muster's are run but ours are quite crowded/confined - I would come up a strategy to deal with this. I would also go to the MDR on the first day and see if you can reserve a table in a spot that he would feel comfortable with (explain his situation to the Maitre D on the quiet if you need to). Let him know how long a muster runs for, how long the shows run for etc so he can be prepared. Not sure if you need to use tenders but if you do, see if you can grab the seat nearest to the open doorway.

Good luck. My hubby is yet to be convinced cruising is for him but I hope to get him onboard one day.

MuFF's husband. He took one cruise hatred the sea days so much he refuses to step foot on another cruise ship. He tried to enjoy himself, that one week, for his wife's stake but just didn't care for the concept of cruising.

In June she is going on a cruise with some of her old high school friends to celebrate their 50th year of graduating from high school and leaving him at home. With his blessings of course.

Why is it that people who cruise feel that they have to try to convince everyone else in the world that they are missing a great experience if they do not join them on a cruise.

Leave them alone!!

Some people like cruising, some people like sky diving, some people like climbing mountains, and some people actually like to stay home and do nothing. Just because you like it does not mean that other people will.

DON

That is true Don, but how do you know if you don't like something if you have never tried it? It's kind of like when children say they don't like a certain fruit or vegetable, BUT they have never even tasted it before. As a parent don't you ask them to at least try it before they say they don't like it?

I did not hate my first Cruise entirely , but the first day and night of cruise was so rough, something wrong with stabilizers) and I was so sick feeling that I was considering an alternative home so I would not have to get back on ship. Fortunately I got my sea legs, and they fixed the stabilizers and all was good, I have been on 9 since my first and love it!

Well, in his defense, he was stationed in Iraq for a year and has this thing about being below ground level. Normally, I just book the cheapest room. I upgraded, slightly, to a large oceanview stateroom in hopes that he doesn't feel so confined. He also has to stand/sit some where that gives him the best vantage point of the people/area around him. He is concerned about feeling "trapped" on the ship. I told him that they are so large that you don't get that feeling.

He also admitted that going on a cruise is nothing that he has ever wanted to do. He wanted to go to Biketoberfest in October.

Does he have any PTSD issues? The ex I took on mine is a combat wounded vet. She also has issues in crowds. I explained to her several times before the cruise that parts of it would be crowded. She thought she would be ok. I think that's part of why she hated the clubs and dining. She is also very wary of new people so she didn't start talking to people until the 5th or 6th day of the cruise. Also what ship are you on? Does he enjoy being around people? As I mentioned above my ex's and mine relationship was already rocky before the cruise, the cruise actually sealed the fate for me that a romantic relationship between the two of us was not going to work. As for your situation as long as he enjoys warm weather, being around you the only other thing I might suggest to keep him happy is the drink package!

Does he have any PTSD issues? The ex I took on mine is a combat wounded vet. She also has issues in crowds. I explained to her several times before the cruise that parts of it would be crowded. She thought she would be ok. I think that's part of why she hated the clubs and dining. She is also very wary of new people so she didn't start talking to people until the 5th or 6th day of the cruise. Also what ship are you on? Does he enjoy being around people? As I mentioned above my ex's and mine relationship was already rocky before the cruise, the cruise actually sealed the fate for me that a romantic relationship between the two of us was not going to work. As for your situation as long as he enjoys warm weather, being around you the only other thing I might suggest to keep him happy is the drink package!

Has he been DIAGNOSED with PTSD, no? Should he be, probably yes. He is a very outgoing person...can strike up a conversation with anyone. Prior to he and I getting together he bartending part time...at a bar who routinely has live bands which draw large crowds. He doesn't really mind the crowds, but he is always looking around. When we go out to dinner I don't even sit down anymore. I let him chose the seat that he feels most comfortable with. We had a local bar that was in the basement of the building. He would not go there because of it being underground.

Has he been DIAGNOSED with PTSD, no? Should he be, probably yes. He is a very outgoing person...can strike up a conversation with anyone. Prior to he and I getting together he bartending part time...at a bar who routinely has live bands which draw large crowds. He doesn't really mind the crowds, but he is always looking around. When we go out to dinner I don't even sit down anymore. I let him chose the seat that he feels most comfortable with. We had a local bar that was in the basement of the building. He would not go there because of it being underground.

I see lots of RCCL cruises in your signature. If what you state is true I would recommend one of the larger ships, maybe even one of the Oasis classes since they have the Central Park and Boardwalk areas and extremely large pool and sports deck. Also since your already looking at a ocean view keep in mind that balconies are usually only a few hundred dollars more. Lastly since you say he likes picking out where he sits at dinner I would recommend going to the MDR and explain your situation taking him along. Ask to see where you are sat, then if he feels uncomfortable in the area (Say its in the center of the MDR) ask if its possible to be sat somewhere that would be more comfortable for him (like against a wall or less crowded area).

That is true Don, but how do you know if you don't like something if you have never tried it? It's kind of like when children say they don't like a certain fruit or vegetable, BUT they have never even tasted it before. As a parent don't you ask them to at least try it before they say they don't like it?

There is a big difference between trying a vegetable and taking a cruise. You have lost nothing if you don't like the food item that you tried. However, many people cannot go on vacation that often and for them taking the risk of not enjoying it is not worth it to them either from a time or financial perspective. We all develop a sense over time of the types of things that we do, and do not, enjoy. I don't try to talk people who seem uneasy into taking a cruise as I would feel responsible if they did not enjoy themselves. I tell them what I like about cruising as well as the aspects of cruising that some may find frustrating or unappealing and leave it to them to decide if it sounds appealing or not. The bottom line is I have nothing to gain or loose from whether or not someone else decides that cruising is right for them or not.

They didn't sail with us, but my sister's in-laws took a cruise a few years back after we all went on and on about how "wonderful" cruises are. They HATED it!!!!! They went on one of our favorite lines. Thought the cabin and bathroom were WAY too small, didn't like the food, the dining options, the shows, the pool area (thought it was way to noisy and crowded), the time in ports, the waiting and queuing getting on and off the ship in ports and the laundry list of what they did not like went on and on.

That could have been us! Our first cruise was on the original Sun Princess in 1988 to Alaska. It was a "high density" ship, we had a tiny cabin, the food was bad, it rained 6 of the 7 days, and the ship lost power in the Inside Passage!

However, we felt that we should try another cruise, and we were hooked.

It is all in your attitude. My dad said he would never go on a cruise because he would be down in the engine room watching the engines! As a result, my mom never got to go on a cruise.

The fact that He is willing to give it a try, says a lot about Him. Sounds like you have a good relationship of give and take on both sides. As a Vietnam Vet, I can tell you Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is real, but nothing that the love and affection of a good woman won't soothe.

Try to be as romantic as possible, give Him the best (three letter word here) ever. Make it a memorable experience for Him, and chances are you will win Him over.

While you are theoretically right, just remember that a new fruit or vegetable costs maybe a buck. A cruise costs thousands of bucks each. Sort of a lot of money to see if you might like it. Are you willing to pay for my "maybe I will like it" trial cruise if I agree to pay you back if it turns out that I like it but you eat if if I do not. I doubt it.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

In my case my husband hates to try anything new. He had promised that we would do whatever I wanted to do on our 25th and a cruise is what I wanted to do. Our honeymoon was not anything at all that I wanted so this was his turn to comprimise. I knew that he would get into it once we were on the ship but didn't know how much he would love it until the 3rd day.

This was a case of try it you might like it...and he did.

tigercat

While you are theoretically right, just remember that a new fruit or vegetable costs maybe a buck. A cruise costs thousands of bucks each. Sort of a lot of money to see if you might like it. Are you willing to pay for my "maybe I will like it" trial cruise if I agree to pay you back if it turns out that I like it but you eat if if I do not. I doubt it.

DON

I am paying for the cruise and I expect nothing in return if he does or does not like it.

My DH once told me he rather stick pins in his eyes than take a cruise. We'll get the pins ready because I talked him into his first cruise. I booked a haven penthouse suite on NCL Breakaway. I figure I will spoil him this way and try and make his first cruise experience top notch with butler and all. Worst case senerio? I go back to cruising with other family members but I think he's gonna like it. He's a workaholic and he's dreading no phones for 7 days but this man really needs to just shut down for a week.