Best Shore excursions for Portland and St. John's Bay?

music lover 66

We are looking at the RC shore excursion to St. Martin's and the Bay of Fundy at $86 pp. Any suggestions for other options or is this excursion worth it? Want to be sure to see the Reversing Falls Rapids.

Not sure what to do/see in Portland. Any suggestions? Heard that Kennebunkport is a good place to visit.

We are looking at the RC shore excursion to St. Martin's and the Bay of Fundy at $86 pp. Any suggestions for other options or is this excursion worth it? Want to be sure to see the Reversing Falls Rapids.

Not sure what to do/see in Portland. Any suggestions? Heard that Kennebunkport is a good place to visit.

Reversing falls is neat, but not that impressive.

Portland is a good little city to wander around on your own. The Old Port area is full of small shops, and is a "foodie" haven. Local museums are the Longfellow house (Henry Wadsworth), Victorian Mansion, and Tate House (colonial governor), as well as the Art Museum for Winslow Homer and the Wyeths. Portland Observatory gives a great view of the harbor and Casco Bay. The Casco Bay ferries can take you to Peaks Island, or a tour around all the inhabited islands.

Portland Head Light, the oldest US lighthouse (commissioned by George Washington) and Two Lights (once owned by Betty Davis) are in Cape Elizabeth, and I believe there is a "lighthouse tour" that includes these two. Some nice NE beaches in Cape Elizabeth as well.

Kennebunkport is nice, but it is about 30 minutes each way by the highway (toll road), and much longer by "scenic" Route 1, especially during summer or "leaf peeper" seasons.

Couple of brewery tours intown, narrow gauge railroad. Look at your interests, and google them with "Portland Maine". Ship excursions are not the best way to see the area, IMHO.

I agree about the Reversing Falls. It's OK to see, but if you don't time it right, you are just looking at a river.

As for Portland, if you are not renting a car, you would be able to wander about and check out the local shops and museums. Nice, but not that exciting. If you do decide to rent a car, then definitely take in the Portland Head Light, you could make Kennebunkport, or Freeport, where the LL Bean Shops are. Depending on your time in Portland, you could try to visit Boothbay Harbor. We had been to Portland on our own, and did all the outside Portland things. When we docked there for our cruise, I was less than thrilled with what Portland had to offer.

You can get a very good look at the Portland head light from the ship as she sails by it.

Portland Head Light from the land

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/Maine/IMG_3886_zpsc0182ca9.jpg

And from the sea

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/canada/IMG_4492_zpsedd12efb.jpg

Again, this was just us, others may find Portland grand and a wonderful stop. Just wasn't our thing.

Cheers

Len

Edited by Giantfan13

Can you actually walk from the Portland port to one of the lighthouses or do you need to take a tour to see a lighthouse?

No, you can't walk to any, but depending on your interest, you don't need to take a tour.

The two lighthouses in South Portland (Bug Light and Spring Point Ledge) are probably $10-15 cab ride each way. Not real big lighthouses, but lighthouses you can walk right up to.

The two main ones in Cape Elizabeth (Portland Head and Two Lights) are 15-20 minute rides each way, depending on traffic.

Lots of the tours tend to get a lot of lighthouses rolled together. If you want to see one or two, and then see others, I would say that renting a car would be a better bet.

You could walk up to the Portland Observatory tower and climb to the top and get a great view out over Casco Bay.

Edited by chengkp75

We did a Canada/New England Cruise on Brilliance of the Seas in September, 2013.

Portland, Maine- We booked the Portland Discovery Land & Sea Combination Tour online and picked the trolley tour at 9:30 and the harbor cruise at 1:30. That gave us time to have lunch and check out a few of the shops nearby between the two tours. It was a 15 minute walk from the cruise terminal to the Portland Discovery office on the waterfront.

Check out their website for a few different tours that they offer: http://www.portlanddiscovery.com

St. John, New Brunswick- We rented a car through Enterprise and went to St. Martin. We drove through the Fundy Trail Parkway, saw the St. Martin Caves, and ate at the restaurant right at the St. Martin Caves. You can find further information about the Fundy Trail Parkway at their website: http://www.fundytrailparkway.com

It was great to rent the car and travel at our leisure. We made arrangements for Enterprise to pick us up and drop us off right near the cruise ship.

Enjoy your cruise,

Mary

Edited by marys350
add information

• 1 month later...
We did a Canada/New England Cruise on Brilliance of the Seas in September, 2013.

Portland, Maine- We booked the Portland Discovery Land & Sea Combination Tour online and picked the trolley tour at 9:30 and the harbor cruise at 1:30. That gave us time to have lunch and check out a few of the shops nearby between the two tours. It was a 15 minute walk from the cruise terminal to the Portland Discovery office on the waterfront.

Check out their website for a few different tours that they offer: www.portlanddiscovery.com

St. John, New Brunswick- We rented a car through Enterprise and went to St. Martin. We drove through the Fundy Trail Parkway, saw the St. Martin Caves, and ate at the restaurant right at the St. Martin Caves. You can find further information about the Fundy Trail Parkway at their website: www.fundytrailparkway.com

It was great to rent the car and travel at our leisure. We made arrangements for Enterprise to pick us up and drop us off right near the cruise ship.

Enjoy your cruise,

Mary

Just booked Portland Discovery Land & Sea tour for September. Thanks so much for the information, Mary!

• 4 weeks later...

Portland is a cool city. There is a ton to see and do. If I had one day in Portland you'd have to hit me over the head with a 2x4 to get me on a tour bus to outlet shopping in Freeport or down to the lighthouse in Cape Elizabeth (you'll see Portland Head Light on the way in or out anyway).

Portland is still a fishing town and the waterfront is where work happens. A lot of fishermen are in and out of Becky's Diner, which is a half mile walk south of the pier. You'll see a good chunk of the waterfront taking that walk along Commercial Street and you'll start to get a flavor for Portland as you make that trip. On the way you'll see Browne Trading which is one of the biggest purveyors of caviar in the US. Worth a look inside if it's open.

Portland is an incredible food town. Portland Lobster Co. on Commercial is a good place for a lobster roll and a beer in a watery setting. To me lobster is best eaten near water and is a good bet for in town. Most New Englanders shy away from the typical rip and dip. We'd rather eat a lobster roll (make sure the bun is grilled with plenty of buttah) or, when the weather turns, lobster stew. Eventide is an oyster and seafood joint that is kind of the hot thing in town at the moment.

You might pop into Harbor Fish Market which is where a lot of local people and restaurants buy their fish. They've got a great logo and their t-shirts and cookbook are great souvenirs. Its wet and fishy but it's a clean and the smell is unmistakably the Atlantic ocean. Nearby on the wharf is J's Oyster Bar which caters to a hard drinking cross section of working locals.

The Old Port is a mix of touristy stuff and some great shops. You'll have to sift through it to see what appeals to you but it's got the requisite crooked cobblestone alleys and pocket parks. You'll find a lot of locals at Bard Coffee at Post Office Square. Starbucks is across the street. Across the park the strawberry chipotle margarita at Sonny's will put a hop in your step (they also have a killer Cuban sandwich). There's a brow and makeup studio called Studio Heleni hidden above Starbucks. The lady who runs it also works out of The Carlyle in NYC where I'm told she has a big celebrity following. You'll find that kind of person hidden all over Maine. If you're a Christmas decorator the square has a Christmas store that is packed -- and I mean jam packed -- with all kinds of ornaments and other decorations.

There's a lot of great architecture and views to be had. Walk up to the Eastern Promenade for a commanding view of Casco Bay looking north. The West End, also uphill, is studded with amazing old mansions.

One of my beefs with cruising is the level of hand holding it can condition its aficionados to expect. One of the joys of travel is discovery. Portland is a safe and walkable city. Go explore it. Talk to people. Ask questions. You'll find something wonderful.

Don't get me wrong...I love LL Bean. We depend on the winter gear to keep the kids warm. The Freeport campus is terrific. The return policy is without equal. And they get some pretty good acts in the summer (Jeff Tweedy of Wilco plays free this Saturday).

But when your ship docks in Portland you've just arrived in one of the great little cities in America. And it's not like St. Maarten with 3-6 ships a day. We get maybe 30 or 40 ships per year, mostly in September and October. With few exceptions yours will be the only ship in town. Too, often, IMHO, we cruisers are hellbent on planning every port we pull into. Why?

My wife's aunt gave me some of the best travel advice ever when she said, "Never get on the bus."

My advice in Portland......throw away the guide book. Wander off. Get lost (if you get disoriented go east/downhill/towards water). Explore. Discover. See what happens. Awesome town to spend a day.

I really enjoyed reading your description of this port. We've pre-paid for an excursion (4 hours thru NCL) to Kennebunkport in September that will leave us little time to explore by foot. It includes an hour at Dock Square on your own, saying we'll pass stunning mansions built in the 1700's and 1800's. In your opinion is a tour of Kennebunkport's "views" with an hour in Dock Square as interesting as the port area?

The Kennebunks and Kennebunkport are nice. But I doubt anyone would care if George and Barbara didn't live there. It's quaint and scenic but Portland has much better bars, restaurants, activities and action. And you're there as soon as you step off the ship.

It's kind of a funny thing about cruising and cruisers....so often we pull into a nice port and we immediately leave on some kind of group excursion to somewhere else.

Maine has a population of about 1.2M people. Portland is the largest city and its only 65,000 people. But it's got a lot of great stuff going on. If you're inclined to stick around town I'd be more than happy to customize a locals tour for you based upon your interests and limitations.

GiantFan13 has a nice eye for photography.....you gotta give him that. Check out his pics linked below.

You can get a very good look at the Portland head light from the ship as she sails by it.

Portland Head Light from the land

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/z...psc0182ca9.jpg

And from the sea

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/z...psedd12efb.jpg

Thanks for the nice comments. really appreciated.

Two years ago we spent about 10 days just driving up the coast of Maine and up to Campobello. Just marvelous scenery, lighthouses and extra friendly people. Portland Head Light was magnificent, just wish we could have been there before, or after, a storm.

And, as you said, you get some great views from aboard the ship as she sails by.

Cheers

Len

Edited by Giantfan13

I think you just talked me out of a trek to LL Bean!

I think you would really enjoy the trek to LL Bean. The drive gives you some nice views of the coast and the local area. This little town has transformed itself into an eccentric shopping area using many of the existing homes and buildings. A great place for lunch/dinner is Harraseeket Lunch & Lobster Company. It is just three miles from LL Bean and is located on the wharf at the end of Main Street in South Freeport.

Portland is nice but unless a particular attraction has caught your attention already, a quick look-see from your ship as you pull in and out will suffice. The Old Port is an old rehabilitated commercial area that was revitalized but unfortunately part of the revitalization was tearing down a lot of buildings to build parking lots.

Being born and raised in the Portland area (grew up in Windham) LL Bean was never really a big deal to me. Except for the novelty of being open 24/7 (yes even xmas day) it just was another store for us. :D

Seabourn Pearls has lots of good info. I would only add...to skip DiMillo's floating restaurant. Over priced and you can get much better food at one of the small places in the area.

Longfellow used to walk to Portland Head Light...... :D (sorry, this makes sense if you have been there ;) )

All this being said...I board a plane and will be there later this week for almost a week. Whoohooo, I miss State O Maine so much. Only downside is it is for my 25 year class reunion. :eek:

We just got back from visiting friends who live right outside of Portland. They treated us to dinner at Dimillo's and I found it quite good. I guess it is the novelty of a floating restaurant that attracts the tourists, and you locals know the area a bit better. We did enjoy our meal very much and since we didn't pay, I can't say if it was overpriced. :D:D:D:D:D.

But I'll take your word for it.

Cheers

Len

I think you would really enjoy the trek to LL Bean. The drive gives you some nice views of the coast and the local area. This little town has transformed itself into an eccentric shopping area using many of the existing homes and buildings. A great place for lunch/dinner is Harraseeket Lunch & Lobster Company. It is just three miles from LL Bean and is located on the wharf at the end of Main Street in South Freeport.

Portland is nice but unless a particular attraction has caught your attention already, a quick look-see from your ship as you pull in and out will suffice. The Old Port is an old rehabilitated commercial area that was revitalized but unfortunately part of the revitalization was tearing down a lot of buildings to build parking lots.

Thank you! I think a car will give us the option to see both Freeport and Portland (and some lighthouses), and Harraseeket Lunch & Lobster Company sounds like a great stop for lunch.

Can anyone tell me if it is wise to book the Pink tour bus thru the cruise line (it is the same price, I checked) or just show up, if we decide to do it. I read somewhere that they only allow cruise ship passengers on it when a ship is in port.... true? I thought maybe due to the room on it. We are going in October this year and maybe interested in it in St John.

• 3 weeks later...
Don't get me wrong...I love LL Bean. We depend on the winter gear to keep the kids warm. The Freeport campus is terrific. The return policy is without equal. And they get some pretty good acts in the summer (Jeff Tweedy of Wilco plays free this Saturday).

But when your ship docks in Portland you've just arrived in one of the great little cities in America. And it's not like St. Maarten with 3-6 ships a day. We get maybe 30 or 40 ships per year, mostly in September and October. With few exceptions yours will be the only ship in town. Too, often, IMHO, we cruisers are hellbent on planning every port we pull into. Why?

My wife's aunt gave me some of the best travel advice ever when she said, "Never get on the bus."

My advice in Portland......throw away the guide book. Wander off. Get lost (if you get disoriented go east/downhill/towards water). Explore. Discover. See what happens. Awesome town to spend a day.

Sounds like great advice, just 1 question, is the town in walking distance from where the ship docks?