Royal cancels 1/18/15 sailing

Thank you all. I appreciate your help.

I came here for help, because I don't know what to expect.

I booked this particular room because I hear its AWESOME. great views and quiet. Everything we all wanted. Just really wanted that room.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I know you've mentioned getting more info from you TA tonight- but have you had a chance to check out any other options? Be it the same ship just a different date or a different ship on the same cruise?

One thing that may help- there are generally the same cabins sprinkled around the ship. So, for instance, you got a hump cabin- mos of them are very simlilar (except for the dead center) and there are two sides. So *hopefully* you will be able to find something that is the same, or virtually the same.

In terms of looking- quite a few of the bigger on line TA's do a good job of showing all the cabins of a particular type at once.

Sounds like you've not made travel arrangements yet? If not, whew.

Good luck.

PIA? Maybe but it's not like you canceled for a bogus reason or medical emergency. At some point in time we all have to or will have to reschedule a vacation. Disappointing yes, the end of the world no. You will have a better idea now than you did of how things work when you reschedule. Sorry with all the other issues in the world right now being upset about this to me seems petty. There are people where I'm at dealing with the aftermath of tornadoes no homes loss if life. That's something to be upset over.

Yes, that is a horrible tragedy, but your rudeness in inexcusable.

I know how you are feeling, we were supposed to the on the Allure February 23rd cruise that got cancelled so the ship could get repaired.

For compensation they were offering OBC if you booked on one of their suggested cruises, plus you wouldn't have to pay any differences in the cost of the cruise.

We were booking for the itnerary and not so much the ship so we cancelled the cruise and they compensated us $300 towards our flight change fees.

We did end up booking on the Independence of the Seas that left on the same day but was only 6 nights instead of 7 and it had a similar itinerary.

I was pretty disappointed when the cruise was cancelled, I was really looking forward to the Jr. Suite we had booked and I had everything planned and then it was cancelled. We still had a really good time on the Independence, so it did all work out in the end. It was just a shock and disappointment when we first found out.

I hope you are able to rebook soon and have an amazing first cruise!

I've had RC cancel two cruises, both times for charters.

The first time they cancelled about 8 months before sail date. They offered $400 OBC if I switched to one of three sailings, but I had to pay current rates. They were also giving $100 pp for airfare changes, but only if you rebooked on one of the three sailings. If you did not book one of those sailings, you got nothing. The three sailings they offered were the same itinerary, but were in March and early April over Easter. We had booked a late April cruise because it's hard for my husband to get off work during spring break or around holidays (Easter). The current rate for the same cabin type was over $1000 more than when we had booked and no aft cabins were available. I couldn't see paying $1000 more and only getting $400 OBC for a cruise that my husband probably couldn't take. I cancelled and booked a completely different cruise for that same week (was originally on a Caribbean and switched to a Med). Fortunately, I hadn't booked air yet so I didn't lose any money since $100 pp wouldn't cover the change fees.

I booked an aft cabin for the same Caribbean itinerary on the same ship for the following year in late April. About 10 months before sail date, it was chartered by the same group that had chartered it the year before. :rolleyes: This time RC said it was far enough before sail date that they were not offering any compensation. I cancelled and switched to a different cruiseline since I had already booked my air.

Someone posted earlier today that the Jan 11 and Jan 18'th sailings were cancelled because of a Drydock

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2034626

That would time out about right based on a the normal 5 yr. maintenance drydock cycle with RCI. Freedom was launched November '04.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

PIA? Maybe but it's not like you canceled for a bogus reason or medical emergency. At some point in time we all have to or will have to reschedule a vacation. Disappointing yes, the end of the world no. You will have a better idea now than you did of how things work when you reschedule. Sorry with all the other issues in the world right now being upset about this to me seems petty. There are people where I'm at dealing with the aftermath of tornadoes no homes loss if life. That's something to be upset over.

I'm sorry but they are very unneccesary remarks.

Yes, of course there are terrible things going on in the world and tragedy is happening every day. Very sad things are happening.

However, its still very disappointing having a cruise cancelled on you. And yes, it is 6 months out. I know that if that happened to us unless we could book something at the exact same time we would struggle. Both myself and my dh have to book our annual leave a year out and its very difficult to get it together.

So, yes. Lots of sadder things happening in the world but sometimes a holiday could mean everything to some people. Nobody knows anyone's circumstances.

That would time out about right based on a the normal 5 yr. maintenance drydock cycle with RCI. Freedom was launched November '04.

That's what I thought. Her last Drydock was the big revitalization so this one would just be a quickie. Read that the Liberty was getting a Drydock early 2016 as well.

Oh just stop. Having a vacation you were looking forward to get cancelled is also a reason to be upset. Bad stuff happens ... But that doesn't mean someone doesn't get to be mad/sad/upset over something happening in his or her own life even if it isn't as tragic or important in relativity to other ongoing events. Sheesh.

Thank you all. I appreciate your help.

I came here for help, because I don't know what to expect.

I booked this particular room because I hear its AWESOME. great views and quiet. Everything we all wanted. Just really wanted that room.

First, sorry this has happened to you while planning your first cruise! I would be disappointed too. Most of us have several cruises under our belt and would probably be better prepared to deal with this situation.

But I really have to give you credit for going into your first cruise knowing exactly what cabin you wanted and having so much already planned. Good for you! It sounds like, once you find out what RCCL is willing to do for you, you can take that information and use it to plan another cruise.

Good luck and have a wonderful first cruise! May it be the first of many, like the rest of us.

Independence does a 6 night cruise that hits everything except Cozumel. Oasis and Allure do 7 night western cruises that hit everything except Grand Cayman. Those three ships leave from Ft. Lauderdale.

Took the words right out of my mouth....

Sent from my Galaxy S3, somewhere in the galaxy

I'm sorry but your attitude is very snarky and I really don't need you bad attitude. Unless you have something nice to say, then keep your comments to yourself.

Put your pom poms away and give this girl some slack, it's her first cruise!

you have like 7 months to find a cruise, why is the room you got such a big deal, they have 1000 other rooms just like it??

Not always, if you need a handicap room those are limited. Also if you have some of the rooms on the hump or aft rooms those are highly sought after and booked very fast. Some of these rooms are one or two of a kind.

Cancellations are hard, whether you had to cancel, or whether the cruiseline cancels on you. It's a huge blow. I was to be on the Grandeur four days after the fire. Because of work and school schedules, our rescheduled cruise was pushed back to December and it was a rough 6 months. I kept expecting something else to go wrong and the rescheduled cruise wouldn't happen either. (OK, I admit to being a professional worrier.) I hope RCI gives you adequate compensation and you are able to find an alternative that you are happy with. Just don't live under the ridiculous cloud I built over myself ... I swear I didn't really relax until I set foot in the Centrum in December.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide and have a wonderful cruise!

I'm sorry but your attitude is very snarky and I really don't need you bad attitude. Unless you have something nice to say, then keep your comments to yourself.

YOU GO!!! TROPICAL ISLAND GIRL!!!!

I feel for you. I know how it is to have it all set and planned in your head and then.......ahhhhh....you have to change everything. I hope you are compensated for this. And I hope that in the end you have an awesome cruise.

I agree it is a PIA.just happened to me.:(

I agree it is a PIA.just happened to me.:(

I am sorry your cruise was cancelled. I had a group cruise planned January 2013 with 10 couples that Royal canceled because of a charter. Believe me, I was upset!!

We took another cruise and had a great time, though. Things will work out for you.

FYI: Royal gave each cabin a $200 credit which was nice, but they wouldn't give us the same price on the same itinerary so we ended up with a different (shorter) one. I was mad enough to write a letter to Adam Goldstein (I think that is his name!), but it didn't change anything.

Wow you guys are all so awesome! Thanks for sticking up for me. :-)

Ok so I know everyone's anticipating my response.

Mind you today is END OF MONTH for the company and we're all on tight ropes crunching numbers..... eeekkk. That's enough stress for me for the day, then getting the confirmed email first thing this morning about my non existent trip I have spent like 5 months planning (only half way don't Haha) I'm a worrier I can't help it, just the nature of the beast. I haven't vacationed in nearly 11 years (12 when I cruise) so I'm super over due. Anywhoo, so I'm emailing back and forth about 50 emails to my TA (and trying to focus as work teehee)

They offered us 4 cruise dates on their terms with $200 OBC. ok great, half way there.......

However the dated they had just were not working for all of us and other situation was, it was none of the islands we had in mind or had our hearts set on. Yeah I know, may seem picky to some, but when your heart is set on a certain destination, that's all I wanted to do.

So more back and forth emails and asked, well hey I see the almost same itinerary ( difference between Haiti and coco cay Bahamas ( excuse my spelling) which is no big deal anyhow. So I said how about we just book 12 days later, TA comes back and said Royal is NOT offering a price hold for those dates. $1,300 MORE for 12 days later. I almost puked. No way was I going to pay $1,300 more for their cancellation. Just Didnt see that being fare. So now I'm really upset, can't concentrate at work and just didn't know what to do. I can't afford to pay an extra $1,300. For a sailing 12 days later and Royal refused to do anything about it.

So more back and forth emails with the TA and advised I just can't afford the money and was going to just either cancel my trip with Royal and book with another line or just find an all inclusive resort

So my TA gets back so me and says for all of the trouble I'm dealing with lately (had a horrible TA before I found her, this whole things been kind of messy)

She not only have me the same exact price for my original sailing date, upgraded me from an E2 category to a D1 and with her OBC and royal still compensating with the $200. I now have $350 OBC.

I thank my lucky stars for my TA going above and beyond for me when royal wanted me to pay and extra $1300 more.

Although I planned on booking my airfare Friday at the $282 price, air is now at $364. So we're out $252. (TA OBC was $150). So I'm very happy, I did however lose my room I worked so hard to get. (Aft corner). Oh well I'm still ok with having an upgrade and still aft! Wahoo!! :-)

Thanks for everyone's well wishes and good lucks. They seemed to have done the trick. So thanks to all of you!

And yes according to Royal from my TA freedom is being dry docked. Or maybe its being chartered and they just told her its dry docked IDK.

Thanks again for all the "good lucks" greatly appreciated.

So my new date is 2-1-15

..... I did however lose my room I worked so hard to get. (Aft corner). Oh well I'm still ok with having an upgrade and still aft! Wahoo!! :-).....

Glad things were not bad, even though it was not exactly what you wanted... But this part- you should be able to keep an eye on how the ship gets booked, and possibly get a cabin in a location that you like.

Maybe not so likely on your particular trip, since I'm sure a ton of other people on your original cruise will choose this trip as well.

But it's possible- we recently went from a side to an aft just after final payment date- it appears that someone was holding the entire back of the ship, and either didn't manage to sell it (TA) or could not travel. And on a different trip, we were able to move to a much better spot roughly 60 days until sailing.

Anyway, good that things worked out so that you can still travel. 12 years is a LOOOONG time to wait.