Royal cancels 1/18/15 sailing

Well....it looks like you were able to get a decent alternate to what you wanted....perfect? Not necessarily...but you'll still have a wonderful time.....and it's great that the TA was able to work with you and Royal....

Sure a cancelled cruise stinks, and they probably could have been a little more flexible .....but sounds like you're happy......

BTW aft cabins have benefits, but to me...they're a LOONNNGGGGGG walk from the elevator!!! lol

Edited by megr1125

Well....it looks like you were able to get a decent alternate to what you wanted....perfect? Not necessarily...but you'll still have a wonderful time.....and it's great that the TA was able to work with you and Royal....

Sure a cancelled cruise stinks, and they probably could have been a little more flexible .....but sounds like you're happy......

BTW aft cabins have benefits, but to me...they're a LOONNNGGGGGG walk from the elevator!!! lol

Hahaha well I originally wanted aft and I'm still aft just on deck 10 (only worry is will I hear the windjammer cafe' ?) I look at the long walk as a way to burn off some calories from all the eating I plan on doing :-)

I had my eye set on a corner aft because I hear they're awesome views and bigger balcony. However the bigger room with a pullout couch versus a bed coming from the ceiling is A ok with me :-).

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

As someone wo books on opening day for specific rooms, I could see being put out by a change like this. Sorry OP, what a dissapointment. I hope RCI takes good care of you & helps you find something else that works for your needs.

nascarcruiser. I'm sorry for your difficulties. Clearly your personal life & community need your full attention right now. If people going about their daily lives on Cruise Critic bothers you so much, then the simple answer is to unplug. Back away from the internet and take the time to sort out your own problems. My thoughts are with your community for a speedy recovery.

I believe this is the BEST response I have read on Cruise Critic in a very long time... Good Job Lost in BC... you "hit the nail on the head" without an unkind word!!

Hahaha well I originally wanted aft and I'm still aft just on deck 10 (only worry is will I hear the windjammer cafe' ?) I look at the long walk as a way to burn off some calories from all the eating I plan on doing :-)

I had my eye set on a corner aft because I hear they're awesome views and bigger balcony. However the bigger room with a pullout couch versus a bed coming from the ceiling is A ok with me :-).

We had 1702 aft on the Liberty and didn't hear a peep from the WJ. Loved aft deck 10.

Enjoy your cruise.

There's actually an extra half-height deck between decks 10 and 11 (it's the greenish stripe circled in red in the picture of Independence of the Seas below), so you shouldn't hear any noise from Windjammer unless you're out on your balcony.

eje2e3yq.jpg

Royal usually gives you some sort of consideration towards another cruise. Could be OBC, percentage discount on fares, rebooking another cruise at your same rate, etc. They should contact you with details.

this was not the case for us. Canceled our cruise with NO special offers/compensation.

Thanks for this bit of info...I found it interesting.

I feel very bad for the OP. We have to schedule cruises quite a ways out due to complicated work schedules, and the time frames are pretty well set in cement at that point. When we cruise with friends, it is even more complicated to rearrange dates. Our cruises dangle in front of us for most of a year giving us something to really look forward to as we trudge through demanding schedules.

And...I've unfortunately been on the other side of tragedy that will affect me for the rest of my life. There is nothing like sitting on a balcony staring into waves, or watching the sun set over the ocean to help sooth the hurt that lives in your heart forever. For the victims of the recent tragedy, I hope they can one day go on a cruise to help heal their wounded hearts.

I have been under the WJ on a lot of ships..you might or might not hear anything, and if you do it may be a weird times ....it's a crapshoot...

Some people love afts, I don't...however if I got a free upgrade to a Royal Family Suite (i did once, on a junior suite guarantee) then I am NOT complaining....you can feel some vibration back there, and yes, there was soot though only when they tested the generator (they SHOULD have said-'we're testing the generator, get off the balcony' but i digress)

You'll be so excited to be on your first cruise that it probably won't matter!!

Now..go plan!! Time's a wasting!! :)

It was 8710 deck 8 corner aft

Understand the original desire for that stateroom, but IMO deck 10 is a better location in terms of aft ship structure and - although all on 10 are quite good - if you are in 1700 or 1400 very nice balconies as well. Overall I don't think you will be disappointed in the location at all.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Understand the original desire for that stateroom, but IMO deck 10 is a better location in terms of aft ship structure and - although all on 10 are quite good - if you are in 1700 or 1400 very nice balconies as well. Overall I don't think you will be disappointed in the location at all.

Awesome to hear! I like the upgrade from my T.A that was very nice of her. So now we have a bigger room, a pull out couch for a third bed instead of one coming out of the ceiling. Was a little worried about weight limit for those, although my friend weighs 90lbs, I'm sure she would have been just fine.

The more and more I read think the situation, I'm very displeased with how Royal handles cancellations. Its either their way or the highway. I just don't think its morally right. I honestly think if "they" cancel then the guests should be able to pick any ship within that same class with the desired itinerary without having to pay $$$$$. In my case $,1300 more. Ouch. If my TA hadn't gone above and beyond I would have canceled and gone elsewhere with my $.

Awesome to hear! I like the upgrade from my T.A that was very nice of her. So now we have a bigger room, a pull out couch for a third bed instead of one coming out of the ceiling. Was a little worried about weight limit for those, although my friend weighs 90lbs, I'm sure she would have been just fine.

The more and more I read think the situation, I'm very displeased with how Royal handles cancellations. Its either their way or the highway. I just don't think its morally right. I honestly think if "they" cancel then the guests should be able to pick any ship within that same class with the desired itinerary without having to pay $$$$$. In my case $,1300 more. Ouch. If my TA hadn't gone above and beyond I would have canceled and gone elsewhere with my $.

Actually the Pullman beds are deigned to accommodate adults. I have slept in them on more than one occasion. As you indicate, the couch bed will also be fine for the one passenger. (BTW RCI will provide an additional foam top if desired).

Can't argue with your view on the cancellation but it seems as though RCI through your TA ended up doing the right thing for you. I think the initial offer of the OBC was a fair gesture for the basic inconvenience.

The process for making the change may have been frustrating, but the re-booking may have started just with a front line reservations agent simply looking at the itinerary options and providing the existing pricing for each - basic SOP. They are limited in their authority as to what they can do to modify that for a given circumstance.

That - as it apparently did - would have to come further up the ladder resulting from the conversation through your TA. Not diminishing the hassle, but in the end it seems like you actually came out ahead. The extra OBC from them was a nice way to sweeten the pot!

IMO with situations that have occurred in the past with cancelled or interrupted itineraries, RCI has done a good job on behalf of the customer - and I hope they were able to do that in your perspective with your situation.

Enjoy your cruise!

Actually the Pullman beds are deigned to accommodate adults. I have slept in them on more than one occasion. As you indicate, the couch bed will also be fine for the one passenger. (BTW RCI will provide an additional foam top if desired).

Can't argue with your view on the cancellation but it seems as though RCI through your TA ended up doing the right thing for you. I think the initial offer of the OBC was a fair gesture for the basic inconvenience.

The process for making the change may have been frustrating, but the re-booking may have started just with a front line reservations agent simply looking at the itinerary options and providing the existing pricing for each - basic SOP. They are limited in their authority as to what they can do to modify that for a given circumstance.

That - as it apparently did - would have to come further up the ladder resulting from the conversation through your TA. Not diminishing the hassle, but in the end it seems like you actually came out ahead. The extra OBC from them was a nice way to sweeten the pot!

IMO with situations that have occurred in the past with cancelled or interrupted itineraries, RCI has done a good job on behalf of the customer - and I hope they were able to do that in your perspective with your situation.

Enjoy your cruise!

It was my TA that came down on their price not RCCL. They wanted to charge an extra $1300. They wouldn't back down. That's why I'm very happy to have a TA. If it wasn't for her I'd be looking to spend an extra $1300 more. All in all because of her it worked out best.

I just look at the overall situation, is if royal cancels then I think its only fair they keep the purchased price for the same itinerary and ship level. My TA didnt want to lose 3 customers so she did what she could to same our trip and bless her heart for that.

It was my TA that came down on their price not RCCL. They wanted to charge an extra $1300. They wouldn't back down. That's why I'm very happy to have a TA. If it wasn't for her I'd be looking to spend an extra $1300 more. All in all because of her it worked out best.

I just look at the overall situation, is if royal cancels then I think its only fair they keep the purchased price for the same itinerary and ship level. My TA didnt want to lose 3 customers so she did what she could to same our trip and bless her heart for that.

Not here to bash TA´s, as I use one myself and I´m glad you are happy with yours now, but I don´t buy that Story from your TA.

No TA can afford to give you $1450 out of their pocket.

I know it´s the end result for you that Counts. I rather think though RCI gave you the cabin at the original Price, which is likely due to the persistence of your TA, but to say the TA gave it to you is IMO a wrong move on their part as it´s just plain dishonest.

That may in fact be how it was conveyed to you but I assure you the concession was with RCI. TA's work exclusively on commission - typically 10 - 15% of the base stateroom rate only. And - with the exception of large block reservations which will yield a small discount - the rate with the most mass market cruise lines is exactly the same from the cruise line and the TA.

Do the math on your base stateroom rate less taxes and port fees and you will see what the TA earned for booking. No way they could - or would - absorb the additional amount as that would come directly out of their pocket, and no TA is going to pay for your cruise! The additional $150 OBC - yes - but believe me, the rest came from directly RCI.

Good for the TA to assist with RCI in facilitating that for you.

That may in fact be how it was conveyed to you but I assure you the concession was with RCI. TA's work exclusively on commission - typically 10 - 15% of the base stateroom rate only. And - with the exception of large block reservations which will yield a small discount - the rate with the most mass market cruise lines is exactly the same from the cruise line and the TA.

Do the math on your base stateroom rate less taxes and port fees and you will see what the TA earned for booking. No way they could - or would - absorb the additional amount as that would come directly out of their pocket, and no TA is going to pay for your cruise! The additional $150 OBC - yes - but believe me, the rest came from directly RCI.

Good for the TA to assist with RCI in facilitating that for you.

Hmm great to know! Either way I'm just happy it all worked out

Agreed - and I'm sure the TA is only trying to earn future business. Not diminishing the efforts of your TA (we have used the same one for many years because of her service) but RCI also wants you to come back and they recognize this was an issue they created, so it was ultimately their resolution.

But put this all behind you and, as said before, enjoy your cruise! Especially with the additional OBC - which if you purchase it on board - can now contribute directly to your beverage package!

Or...your TA just wanted to try to get an extra $1300 from you, since you are a newbie, and don't know the ins and outs of booking...;)

Can OBC be used for shore excursions too? That would be awesome if it did.

My TA gave me almost matching obc when I originally had booked and was using hers for the drink package.

Can I use royals for something like excursions?

Lol I need a book about everything there is to know about cruising Haha. ;-)

Can OBC be used for shore excursions too? That would be awesome if it did.

My TA gave me almost matching obc when I originally had booked and was using hers for the drink package.

Can I use royals for something like excursions?

Lol I need a book about everything there is to know about cruising Haha. ;-)

Yes, OBC can be used for shore excursions that you book on board.