Royal cancels 1/18/15 sailing

Really?!?!?!?! That's even better. I had no idea. That will save me HUGE when it comes to excursions.

Basically, OBC can be used for anything that you normally buy with your SeaPass card.

The only thing that comes to mind that you cannot use OBC for is booking another cruise.

Edited by clarea

Basically, OBC can be used for anything that you normally buy with your SeaPass card.

The only thing that comes to mind that you cannot use OBC for is booking another cruise.

Even Ben and Jerry's ice cream?!?!?!

Chocolate covered strawberries with champagne delivered to my room?

ohhhh the thoughts running through my head!!!! Hahaha

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

All of the above!

Enjoy your cruise! I'm glad it all worked out. :)

Thanks so much. Now time to just re-arrange what's already in place and move on with my new OBC

And start checking out my new Island Coco Cay Bahamas!

Anyone been there?

We were there in Jan of this year ... Beautiful beaches and lots of hammocks in the shade too ... There is something magical about sitting on a beach with a cocktail in the winter and worrying if you are getting sunburned ,,, ;)

The more and more I read think the situation, I'm very displeased with how Royal handles cancellations. Its either their way or the highway. I just don't think its morally right.

In fairness, they run a business, not a charity. If they didn't do it their way and their way only, you'd have a million different morons trying to insist that whatever worked best for them and screwed everyone else was the ONLY WAY.

Spa treatments too!:)

Thanks so much. Now time to just re-arrange what's already in place and move on with my new OBC

And start checking out my new Island Coco Cay Bahamas!

Anyone been there?

If you have already purchased excursions they will need to be cancelled - and the amount paid will be credited to your credit card. The only downside with on board purchased excursions can be with limited availability and times, and having to take the time on board to book as their can be lines at the excursion desk.

CocoCay is a great place and beach day. CocoCay is a tender port of call so the only risk is if there are rough seas that would compromise their tendering. But the island is very nice - take the time to walk around and explore it. Barefoot Beach is at the far end and is a nice, remote beach that rarely gets very crowded.

Go to the various CC port of call forums and research what others are saying about your ports of call.

...and as others have said, the OBC will be applied to anything that is charged to your SeaPass card.

In case anyone is interested. Back in 2012 I was involved with a group that chartered one of Royal's larger ships after the schedule had been released and bookings had started. The charter operator had to pay $280 per cabin for each one that Royal had to cancel. Supposedly this amount was to compensate the passengers for the inconvenience. Also when you charter a ship you guarantee all tips for a fully booked cruise along with a minimum guarantee for onboard revenue. If the required onboard revenue is not achieved on the cruise the charter operator makes up the difference out of the escrow account that is setup. One other thing when you place the deposit for a charter it is in the 6 figure range.

Not here to bash TA´s, as I use one myself and I´m glad you are happy with yours now, but I don´t buy that Story from your TA.

No TA can afford to give you $1450 out of their pocket.

I know it´s the end result for you that Counts. I rather think though RCI gave you the cabin at the original Price, which is likely due to the persistence of your TA, but to say the TA gave it to you is IMO a wrong move on their part as it´s just plain dishonest.

Agreed. Glad it worked out for the OP but not only would it be a blatant violation of their contract with Royal for her TA to lower the price by $1,300 there is also no way a TA would do that considering her commission is probably not even half of that.

One of two things happened here: RCI decided to protect the rate on your sailing (either because of your TA or because it was a Revenue decision for multiple passengers) OR, the sailing you moved to was always a protected sailing and your TA made a mistake initially.

Either way, you can thank Royal for their generosity. They are not required to do anything when they cancel your cruise. I've always thought it was rather nice that they offer to do as much as they do.

I just look at the overall situation, is if royal cancels then I think its only fair they keep the purchased price for the same itinerary and ship level.

All cruiselines behave in the same way if a sailing has to be cancelled. They offer what they will offer and that's it. It's not RCI specific.

And I'm with the rest saying that the TA isn't telling you the true story. (for me that would be a deal-breaker for the future, as I don't like being lied to when it's SO easy to figure out that TAs can't fund that sort of thing and can't discount a cruise like that) Doesn't matter to you now, of course.

Can OBC be used for shore excursions too?

OBC can be used for anything that you can charge to your room account. (which is why, I think, booking a future cruise can't, because that has to go straight to your credit card)

All cruiselines behave in the same way if a sailing has to be cancelled. They offer what they will offer and that's it. It's not RCI specific.

And I'm with the rest saying that the TA isn't telling you the true story. (for me that would be a deal-breaker for the future, as I don't like being lied to when it's SO easy to figure out that TAs can't fund that sort of thing and can't discount a cruise like that) Doesn't matter to you now, of course.

OBC can be used for anything that you can charge to your room account. (which is why, I think, booking a future cruise can't, because that has to go straight to your credit card)

Thank you for the information.

I was just reading another thread on a different cruise line board that had people saying they were not coming back because of some changed breakfast options! It was important to more people than you would have thought.

I feel for you OP, and I think it is a good idea to come on here and see what other people have experienced before you start negotiating with your TA about a change like this. It helps to know that when you are told something that you are not being had. I don't think the average TA expects a new cruiser to know much about their rights. I am glad you ended up being happy with your new arrangement. :)

I was just reading another thread on a different cruise line board that had people saying they were not coming back because of some changed breakfast options! It was important to more people than you would have thought.

I feel for you OP, and I think it is a good idea to come on here and see what other people have experienced before you start negotiating with your TA about a change like this. It helps to know that when you are told something that you are not being had. I don't think the average TA expects a new cruiser to know much about their rights. I am glad you ended up being happy with your new arrangement. :)

Thanks so much! Now with the upgraded room we now have room for four people. So we now have a 4th person :-)

I'll take "Things Almost 100% Unlikely To Be A Reality" for $200 Alex.

Not that they didn't say it or even maybe think they meant it when they said it. I'm sure they did and I'm absolutely sure you read it.

The lack of reality is those people actually following through with it. The facts of the business world are that it takes something insanely huge to get most people to switch from toothless lion to roaring beast on major, established brands.

There is a reason stories like the Netflix mass exodus of the Fall of 2011 & the New Coke Rebellion of 1985 are major news stories. They just don't happen very often. If you read these boards back then, the introduction of Oasis was the death of Royal. No one was going on this floating Wal-Mart! Someone needed to start playing "Taps" because the funeral was starting. People were NEVER EVER going on those ships and they were going to revolt.

It happens with every change... MTD, the smoking policy, the menu changes, show changes, policy changes on the FlowRider, tipping policy changes, etc. etc. etc. THE END IS NEAR! I'LL NEVER SPEND MY MONEY EVER AGAIN HERE! YOU'RE ALL GOING TO MISS ME WHEN I'M NOT HERE! I'M THE REASON THIS BRAND IS COOL! YOU'LL SEE! I'M GONE AND YOU'LL CRY FOR ME!

The truth is: those people keep going and keep paying money. They whine, they complain, they forget. A small group of them actually leave. Those people either realize why they chose that brand in the first place and return OR are replaced by cruisers from another brand who are mad about something on their old line.

ETA: Even Netflix and Coke promptly recovered with a few tweaks.

Edited by poncho1973

The truth is: those people keep going and keep paying money. They whine, they complain, they forget. A small group of them actually leave. Those people either realize why they chose that brand in the first place and return OR are replaced by cruisers from another brand who are mad about something on their old line.

ETA: Even Netflix and Coke promptly recovered with a few tweaks.

Same reason politicians get re-elected time after time. Americans have very short memories.

Thanks so much! Now with the upgraded room we now have room for four people. So we now have a 4th person :-)

Great! It's better to split it 4 ways instead of 3. (More money to spend on spa treatments).:)

Hahaha well I originally wanted aft and I'm still aft just on deck 10 (only worry is will I hear the windjammer cafe' ?) I look at the long walk as a way to burn off some calories from all the eating I plan on doing :-)

I had my eye set on a corner aft because I hear they're awesome views and bigger balcony. However the bigger room with a pullout couch versus a bed coming from the ceiling is A ok with me :-).

We had cabin 1400 on Freedom in January. We heard no noise from Windjammer. Not sure if this is the cabin that you got but thought that I would tell you not to worry about noise from Windjammer if this is the cabin that you got. It was a great cabin and large balcony! :)

Well that's a given Lol.

Meaning what happens if I lose my room and now have to reschedule everything? Do I get the same price I was locked in at? Or am I going to have to pay more because they canceled?

They have 6 sailings they are offering the same rates on and are giving OBC when you reschedule. If you book any other sailing it's at the prevailing rate