Lunch options on the Riviera

melody hounddog

What are our lunch options on the Riviera?

Thanks

This was the question I think - not coffe price!.

In fact as a NON Northern American - I consider lunch options on OCEANIA very modest.

We - the rest of the world - dont like particularly to have sandwiches, even in Main D.R., for lunch!

I did propose, to the high level cuisine directors to open - as a French Brasserie - Jacques for lunch - with of course a different menu. No way!

Now with the new Owners I dont foresee any possible positive change - for me - on this matter.

Sorry !

At least 15 times on old ITALIAN LINE Ships (Michelangelo - Raffaello -C.Colombo Galilei - Giulio Cesare etc.) - Pearl level on Costa Cruises- 129 Days on Holland America - 2 Cruises on Celebrity - 1 on MSC - Emerald level on R.Carbbean - 23 Cruises (+ 1 free) on Oceania

In fact as a NON Northern American - I consider lunch options on OCEANIA very modest.

We - the rest of the world - dont like particularly to have sandwiches, even in Main D.R., for lunch!

Curious what do you have for lunch??

FYI

past sailings should be put in the Signature section see USER CP

I did propose, to the high level cuisine directors to open - as a French Brasserie - Jacques for lunch - with of course a different menu. No way!

Now with the new Owners I dont foresee any possible positive change - for me - on this matter.

Sorry !

At least 15 times on old ITALIAN LINE Ships (Michelangelo - Raffaello -C.Colombo Galilei - Giulio Cesare etc.) - Pearl level on Costa Cruises- 129 Days on Holland America - 2 Cruises on Celebrity - 1 on MSC - Emerald level on R.Carbbean - 23 Cruises (+ 1 free) on Oceania

Here is a sample lunch menu from the Terrace Café:

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/documents/menus/terrace-cafe/Terrace-Cafe-Buffet-Menu-Lunch-Seafood.pdf

There should be enough variety to satisfy almost anyone (including non North Americans) :)

In fact, I don't see a single sandwich on that menu, although I recall that they sometimes have some "mini" sandwiches.

Although I cannot find a lunch menu for the MDR, I am certain that they offer meals at lunch time that are NOT sandwiches (including Jacques' special Salad Nicoise).

Of course, after having sailed on Oceania 23 times, you know all this :).

Sorry that you cannot find things that you enjoy for lunch. Perhaps cruising on non North American cruise lines (Italian?) you may have more lunch options?

Edited by Paulchili

Paul -- when were you last on board :)

That was yesterday's Terrace Menu :)

Today the freshly made pasta (right in front of you) was yummy...

Sandwiches -- They had a few but they were hidden...

Edited by PaulMCO

[QUOTE=Paulchili;45062756]

Sorry that you cannot find things that you enjoy for lunch. Perhaps cruising on non North American cruise lines (Italian?) you may have more lunch options?

Dear Paulchili

you right: having sailed many times on Oceania I know very well the alternatives, and i.e that 2 sandwiches are always listed on lunch menu at MDR.

I enjoyed very much the definition cheerleader's somebody gave to some commentator on this forum.

Why you don't accept any critic even if constructive and you are passing to attack and to offend ?

I love Oceania possibly more than you, having sailed - as you remembered - 23 times, and I shall sail again in March,

Why are you acidly sending me to a non US cruise line?. Is that fair?

I never said that lunch is bad, please re-read my comment and you will discover that I was defining MODEST the alternatives, not the quality.

For several years I didn't participate to this forum to avoid nasty unpleasant comment. Last time I was commenting the high cost of single cabins another nice guy invited me to travel with my mother!

To the other friendly commentator asking me what I have for lunch: I try to avoid junk food (as sandwiches are called today) and I eat thousand of different things.

I understand that points of view of a seasoned cruiser are not accepted or of any interest.

I will therefore abstain again to participate anymore, different opinions are definitely not welcomed here.

Robertorp,

"Oceania serves sandwiches for lunch and I don't like sandwiches" can be interpreted as

1) "Oh no, those North Americans eat sandwiches for lunch - not my style."

2) "There is nothing to eat for lunch except sandwiches."

3) "What are sandwiches doing on the lunch menu of a foodie cruise line?"

There is plenty of non-sandwich food at every meal. Actually I don't even remember seeing sandwiches on the main dining room menu. They are totally off my radar.

Now, how about the genuine French baguette and cheeses or do you prefer the sushi?

Dear Paulchili

you right: having sailed many times on Oceania I know very well the alternatives, and i.e that 2 sandwiches are always listed on lunch menu at MDR.

I enjoyed very much the definition cheerleader's somebody gave to some commentator on this forum.

Why you don't accept any critic even if constructive and you are passing to attack and to offend ?

I love Oceania possibly more than you, having sailed - as you remembered - 23 times, and I shall sail again in March,

Why are you acidly sending me to a non US cruise line?. Is that fair?

I never said that lunch is bad, please re-read my comment and you will discover that I was defining MODEST the alternatives, not the quality.

For several years I didn't participate to this forum to avoid nasty unpleasant comment. Last time I was commenting the high cost of single cabins another nice guy invited me to travel with my mother!

To the other friendly commentator asking me what I have for lunch: I try to avoid junk food (as sandwiches are called today) and I eat thousand of different things.

I understand that points of view of a seasoned cruiser are not accepted or of any interest.

I will therefore abstain again to participate anymore, different opinions are definitely not welcomed here.

[/size][/font]

The point I was trying to make - apparently unsuccessfully in your opinion - was that there are far more non sandwich than sandwich options on lunch menu in both the Terrace Cafe and the MDR. The fact that there may be some sandwiches on the menu as well should make no difference to you as there are plenty of other options (as you should know very well after 23 cruises on Oceania). The Waves has mostly sandwiches but you have plenty of other choices in the other 2 venues. Nobody is forced to eat "junk food" on Oceania.

Your suggestion to open Jacques for lunch is not what I would call constructive - more like selfish and impractical. I (and perhaps others) would also like to have Toscana, Polo and Red Ginger open for lunch - why not if Jacques were to offer this?

BTW, I am not "acidly sending you to a non US cruise line" - just saying that there are other options out there if you are not happy with choices on Oceania and would find others more to your liking.

Edited by Paulchili

The point I was trying to make - apparently unsuccessfully in your opinion - was that there are far more non sandwich than sandwich options on lunch menu in both the Terrace Cafe and the MDR. The fact that there may be some sandwiches on the menu as well should make no difference to you as there are plenty of other options (as you should know very well after 23 cruises on Oceania). The Waves has mostly sandwiches but you have plenty of other choices in the other 2 venues. Nobody is forced to eat "junk food" on Oceania.

Your suggestion to open Jacques for lunch is not what I would call constructive - more like selfish and impractical. I (and perhaps others) would also like to have Toscana, Polo and Red Ginger open for lunch - why not if Jacques were to offer this?

BTW, I am not "acidly sending you to a non US cruise line" - just saying that there are other options out there if you are not happy with choices on Oceania and would find others more to your liking.

This nicely summarizes why I read here and avoid posting.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I am also a "non North American" and in fact a non American - full stop! But I do not see sandwiches as junk food. And I eat them for lunch (especially when playing golf or hiking. Maybe not at home...) Anyway as I recall one never needs to have a sandwich on Oceania. Lots of "proper" (if that is what you call it!) food at the GDR - starters, mains, dessserts and changes every day - as well as at the Terrace where you can have sushi and salad daily if you like. I really like the idea of double lobster and salad at Waves - and will copy that I think!

No one is forcing anyone to have a sandwich or a hot dog or a hamburger!