Escargot?

PatriciaF

Is escargot on the menu? One of the formal nights? It is my favorite cruiseship appetizer.

Although, on a Celebrity sailing, I was served it every night and by night ten is was a bit over it--but ate it anyway.

Looking forward to some on our Eurodam cruise.

Pat

Yes, escargot is usually offered ... maybe once during the cruise as an appetizer. DH & I got in the habit of checking the dinner menu early in the day to see if escargot was that night :)

Must also say that since you're on Eurodam, be sure to dine at Tamarind. The atmosphere and food are 10+.

I've always had it on the last formal night of every cruise. One time they made it differently and I didn't like it, but then next cruise it was the same delicious escargot. Definitely one of my favorite Hal foods.

Have had it on every cruise - and although I don't usually eat a lot or pig out - I do order two of these :) - that's my only eating extravagance on a cruise.

they are usually VERY good :)

Here is my plan when escargot is on the menu. We always do late fixed seating. So as soon as the Lido opens for dinner we swing by and snag a couple plates of escargot from the Lido and take them down to the cabin to enjoy as a pre-pre dinner appetizer. Then we order it again at dinner.

I, too, enjoy escargots from time to time both on HAL and on Cunard ships.

Readers of this post might enjoy reading in the Travel Section of The Daily Telegraph (London) an article by Anthony Peregrine entitled "The Offal Truth about French Cuisine," published on March 13, 2014.

In the article he points out:

Escargots: snails. According to some estimates, France eats 60% of world snail production. They produce hardly any themselves. To satisfy French appetites, snails wing in from Eastern Europe, Turkey and Indonesia. It's a hell of a way to come when you're more of a texture than a taste, entirely dependent on accompanying sauce or butter. If that's ok, so are snails, as long as you don't reflect that you're eating a hermaphroditic gastropod barely distinguishable from a slug.

Don, Lord Kay of Shandon.

I, too, enjoy escargots from time to time both on HAL and on Cunard ships.

Readers of this post might enjoy reading in the Travel Section of The Daily Telegraph (London) an article by Anthony Peregrine entitled "The Offal Truth about French Cuisine," published on March 13, 2014.

In the article he points out:

Escargots: snails. According to some estimates, France eats 60% of world snail production. They produce hardly any themselves. To satisfy French appetites, snails wing in from Eastern Europe, Turkey and Indonesia. It's a hell of a way to come when you're more of a texture than a taste, entirely dependent on accompanying sauce or butter. If that's ok, so are snails, as long as you don't reflect that you're eating a hermaphroditic gastropod barely distinguishable from a slug.

Don, Lord Kay of Shandon.

Blame the Romans. They were mad for snails (along with other delicacies like eel and dormouse) and introduced the habit of eating them to many of their conquered territories, including Gaul (modern France) and even importing the snails to Britain. To this day, the species of snail prepared as escargot are also known as Roman snails....

Edited by cruisemom42

Here is my plan when escargot is on the menu. We always do late fixed seating. So as soon as the Lido opens for dinner we swing by and snag a couple plates of escargot from the Lido and take them down to the cabin to enjoy as a pre-pre dinner appetizer. Then we order it again at dinner.

I like your plan.

Will have to tell DH about this.

I might have to start this too! It's the only time I order 2 appetizers. It's also the only time I eat escargot and do I look forward to it!

just ask your waiter and he usually can get it for you the next night. I find a 10 at the start of a cruise helps me get what I prefer like a larger cut of RB or a special desert.

I bet a warm and honest smile along with please and thank you would get you the same treatment. :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Have had it on every cruise - and although I don't usually eat a lot or pig out - I do order two of these :) - that's my only eating extravagance on a cruise.

they are usually VERY good :)

I usually do the same thing! Skip the entrée and have two orders of escargot and a salad. The only time I ever order two of something.

We, too, have had escargot on the last formal night of every cruise.

I've never been on an HAL cruise when I didn't see escargot offered. :)

Enjoy.

I have Judy. One of the chefs told me they were having problems in France where they are canned - something wrong with the canning process. That was only a year or so ago. Was so glad to see them back last year. Love them.

I have Judy. One of the chefs told me they were having problems in France where they are canned - something wrong with the canning process. That was only a year or so ago. Was so glad to see them back last year. Love them.

I used to enjoy them but I stopped eating any avoidable butter some years ago and never order them anymore. I know so many people really enjoy them. :)

I've got plenty in my garden if anyone wants them - free

Slugs too, if you prefer them already shelled;)

Really very close to the same thing, but I do love Escargot!

Hah, my husband always does this in reverse. He'll go to the dining room, get like 2 escargot there, then go up to the Lido and get the escargot there too.

One time he even ordered it for room service for a triple threat.

Hah, my husband always does this in reverse. He'll go to the dining room, get like 2 escargot there, then go up to the Lido and get the escargot there too.

One time he even ordered it for room service for a triple threat.

We'll have to give that a try sometime.