Sickness

asdjl

We were on the Getaway last week, and had a great time. However, my 10 year old got very sick Monday night (2 am) and through the next day, he was sick that day, and started feeling better Tuesday night. We skipped our excursion (non NCL) in St. Maarten, and he was able to get off the ship Tuesday, etc. I did not report it, and now feel bad about that, but I was traveling alone with 3 kids, and it did not get worse (we did not get sick, he stopped throwing up by 10 am, stayed in the cabin all day, etc.) I am guessing it was something he ate, he and my older daughter had room service while me and my younger daughter were at the 70's party, and he was the only one who had ice cream with whip cream on it. I thought the cleaning crews were great, and had my own wipes, and always made the kids used hand sanitizer, washed hands, etc.

Anyway, I know things can happen and I don't blame NCL but it was not a fun experience, at least for that day. Anyone have any advice moving forward (if we were to cruise again), have you reported illness and what was done?

Thanks!

You're really opening yourself up to some abuse here that I don't think you intended. You say you feel bad about not reporting it, and I suspect you'll hear from other cruisers that you really should have reported anything that was GI related due to frequent noro problems on ships.

You might want to put on your fire suit.

We were on the Getaway last week, and had a great time. However, my 10 year old got very sick Monday night (2 am) and through the next day, he was sick that day, and started feeling better Tuesday night. We skipped our excursion (non NCL) in St. Maarten, and he was able to get off the ship Tuesday, etc. I did not report it, and now feel bad about that, but I was traveling alone with 3 kids, and it did not get worse (we did not get sick, he stopped throwing up by 10 am, stayed in the cabin all day, etc.) I am guessing it was something he ate, he and my older daughter had room service while me and my younger daughter were at the 70's party, and he was the only one who had ice cream with whip cream on it. I thought the cleaning crews were great, and had my own wipes, and always made the kids used hand sanitizer, washed hands, etc.

Anyway, I know things can happen and I don't blame NCL but it was not a fun experience, at least for that day. Anyone have any advice moving forward (if we were to cruise again), have you reported illness and what was done?

Thanks!

It sounds like it was something he ate. If it was Noro, he would not have gotten better that fast, and more than likely, you all would have been sick too. My daughter used to throw up just about every cruise when she was younger from too much soda (and motion sickness, which she has thankfully outgrown). Hubby did get food poisoning once, but that was on Carnival (don't get the lamb).

Edited by SissasMomE

You're really opening yourself up to some abuse here that I don't think you intended. You say you feel bad about not reporting it, and I suspect you'll hear from other cruisers that you really should have reported anything that was GI related due to frequent noro problems on ships.

You might want to put on your fire suit.

Yeah, it's definitely coming .... :(

Not a flame here, but I do think you could have reported it. I don't think there's any shame in reporting an illness or going to the medical center. There's no black X that they paint on your door to alert all your neighbours that someone in the cabin went to medical. If by some chance it is noro, then you would want to isolate him and try not to spread it. If it's just something he ate or he has seasickness, you would want the peace of mind that it's not more serious.

Fortunately for you, he got better, but as a parent, it's something I struggle with myself. At what point do you call a doctor, or do you just wait it out. On a ship I probably wouldn't have taken any chances. I'd rather know what it is and possibly get treatment/medication as soon as possible.

Though NCL super hyper about cleanliness, I saw 2 things that were mildly upsetting...a 12 yr old boy sneezed by buffet and didn't cover his mouth. I said something to him, but I'm not his mom. I also saw one buffet guy putting out rolls without gloves. I reported that, too. I sound like a bi$&? But we had noro in school in October....not fun!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

How do they know if it's noro in the med center? Can they test for it? There are so many things that can cause GI upset. honestly if it were my child I'd probably not think of reporting it unless he or she stayed sick. But then stomach upset is pretty common in our house.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Though NCL super hyper about cleanliness, I saw 2 things that were mildly upsetting...a 12 yr old boy sneezed by buffet and didn't cover his mouth. I said something to him, but I'm not his mom. I also saw one buffet guy putting out rolls without gloves. I reported that, too. I sound like a bi$&? But we had noro in school in October....not fun!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

This is why we don't eat at the trough. And folks still continue to fill their water bottles and touch the lip to the spout, a real no no.

Almost 30 cruises all b2b we've seen it all.

Edited by Ilovesailing

How do they know if it's noro in the med center? Can they test for it?

According to WebMD, if you have symptoms of norovirus, a doctor can give you a stool test to confirm that you have the illness. However, norovirus diagnosis is usually made based solely on symptoms.

Unless the ship's medical center is taking stool samples and analyzing them in a lab (which I don't believe they are) they will likely assume norovirius and confine the sick person(s) to their stateroom, no? This is why people are gun-shy about reporting these things, and likely why they get so out of control aboard ship in the first place.

According to WebMD, if you have symptoms of norovirus, a doctor can give you a stool test to confirm that you have the illness. However, norovirus diagnosis is usually made based solely on symptoms.

Unless the ship's medical center is taking stool samples and analyzing them in a lab (which I don't believe they are) they will likely assume norovirius and confine the sick person(s) to their stateroom, no? This is why people are gun-shy about reporting these things, and likely why they get so out of control aboard ship in the first place.

I believe this all to be correct.

It's a tough call, but in consideration of other passengers I likely would have reported it. If it was just sick from food, or too much soda, it would pass quickly and they would be given a clean bill of health. If it WAS a GI virus, steps taken right away could keep an outbreak from happening.

I won't flame you. Many of us have traveled with children and know how quickly a child can become ill and just as quickly recover. No one else in your family was ill and a Mom usually knows when it's serious. It sounds like your son had a sensitive tummy and that can be caused by many things including problems with food, stress, being overtired, etc. It's not always norovirus.

What Are the Symptoms of a Norovirus Infection?

Typical symptoms include nausea, vomiting (more often in children), watery diarrhea (more often in adults), and stomach cramps.

Other norovirus symptoms include:

Low-grade fever

Chills

Headache

Muscle aches

Fatigue

If I knew my child was not getting better and had most or all of the above symptoms, then reporting it would be the right thing to do.

So I'll get in line and take any flames:)

Edited by kcwingwalker

Bingo. I've been on several cruises where the outbreak was large enough for reporting to the CDC, and there's no way the ships's small medical team would be able to properly evaluate hundreds of sick passengers. If you even think you have noro and you self-report, you're quarantined in your cabin for 24-hours. No monetary compensation is provided, so you're essentially missing out on a large chunk of your vacation. I'd like to make sure that it's not just indigestion before I throw away time and money.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Bingo. I've been on several cruises where the outbreak was large enough for reporting to the CDC, and there's no way the ships's small medical team would be able to properly evaluate hundreds of sick passengers. If you even think you have noro and you self-report, you're quarantined in your cabin for 24-hours.

I doubt most folks factor in potential quarantine during cabin selection, but holy moly... imagine being confined to an inside... as compared to a balcony or even a suite. It would be like jail. You'd probably get a good dose of mental illness to go along with your physical one.

Thanks!

I would be more apt to suspect a touch of sea sickness coupled with excitement and too much strange food, unless there was fever involved.

No flaming here as I would have done the same thing...

I would be more apt to suspect a touch of sea sickness coupled with excitement and too much strange food, unless there was fever involved.

No flaming here as I would have done the same thing...

No one knows their kid like a parent does. :)

whats the difference between motion sickness, noto and GI problems? Overall, you did a good job of staying in the cabin

The primary concern is the contagious properties of norovirus. It spreads rapidly. Motion sickness is not contagious...

My wife and I have both on occasion on various cruises become sick for a day or two. On any ship at any given time, there will be a some guests who don't feel good for a variety of reasons, including gastric issues. You have to use your judgement in deciding if your symptoms are something that could be part of a ship board threat. We've never felt the need to....yet.

Thanks!

No abuse here - kids get sick and a stomach ailment seems to be the sickness of choice (or a weird fever that comes and goes the next day). You did the right thing skipping the excursion and giving him time to rest and recover. I believe if it is was something like Noro there would have been a lot more complaints than just your son. And as it was gone that fast, it was not Noro.

I would not have jumped to report it either. People do get sick without it being Noro - why get the whole ship in an uproar?

Motion sickness is not contagious...

I beg to differ. My husband and daughter suffer terribly from this on small boats. One can be perfectly fine until the other is stricken. Then they both go down.

I know. Not contagious in the strict sense of the word.

Another non-flamer in support of your decision.

You took pre-cautions and monitored your child.

Yes, the cruise ship will quarantine most any complaint in the GI realm to their cabin for a minimal 24 hours.

They definitely err on the side of caution, as is understandable.

A friend of ours got sick on day 2 of his first cruise and was confined to his cabin for 3 days, it turned out NOT to be noro and he felt better after 1 day.

It was also his last cruise, he said the room service menu was pathetic & he hated cruising. LOL :rolleyes:

No flames here. There are tons of stomach bugs out there besides noro, some which are very mild, no fever, and last less than 24 hours. You kept him confined until he was better. It would be a shame for him to be confined much longer than he was ill, which the ship might have done.

It sounds like he just had a mild stomach virus - no biggy.

I think you did the right thing. Had anyone else in your cabin gotten sick, I would have reported it then. I think if you reported it you and the kids would have been quaranteened. That would have lasted a few days, not one. And, you would have ended up in therapy having endured three kids in a small cabin. LOL. And by the way, I am not a good speller.