ROUGH SEAS Sailing Out Of Miami

Hello there! I thought you may like to see this. It's a video I recorded of the rough seas we encountered whilst sailing out of Miami port. The video is pasted below:

ZuTInSfdFwQ

*If the video player above does not work, then here is a direct link to watch the video on YouTube: http://youtu.be/ZuTInSfdFwQ

So what do you guys think? I have spoken to various people who have been on cruises themselves and some have agreed that this is indeed quite rough, whilst some have laughed it off and said that this was nothing compared to their own personal experience. If you have any opinions or experiences of your own then comment them below - I would love to hear them!

Some background behind the video - in case you were wondering!

This video was filmed on embarkation day so I kind of feel bad for the people starting their cruise as this may not had been the best start! The captain announced that we were going to experience some bad weather for a few hours after leaving port. I remember after filming this video walking around the ship and not really seeing anyone. All the bars were pretty much empty, the only people I could find were the ones up on top deck in the pools and jacuzzi having a great time. I am glad I don't get sea sick!

Hello there! I thought you may like to see this. It's a video I recorded of the rough seas we encountered whilst sailing out of Miami port. The video is pasted below:

ZuTInSfdFwQ

*If the video player above does not work, then here is a direct link to watch the video on YouTube: http://youtu.be/ZuTInSfdFwQ

So what do you guys think? I have spoken to various people who have been on cruises themselves and some have agreed that this is indeed quite rough, whilst some have laughed it off and said that this was nothing compared to their own personal experience. If you have any opinions or experiences of your own then comment them below - I would love to hear them!

This video was filmed on embarkation day so I kind of feel bad for the people starting their cruise as this may not had been the best start! The captain announced that we were going to experience some bad weather for a few hours after leaving port. I remember after filming this video walking around the ship and not really seeing anyone. All the bars were pretty much empty, the only people I could find were the ones up on top deck in the pools and jacuzzi having a great time. I am glad I don't get sea sick!

What deck were you on?

There has NEVER been a time where we sailed out of Miami and the the ship wasn't doing heavy rocking. The Gulf Stream is SQUEEZED between the island and the mainland, so that crossing is a bit queezy causing for a couple of hours, and then all of a sudden calm.

ZuTInSfdFwQ

Thanks for sharing the video, Love the "Rock-N-Rolling". I find it helps me fall a sleep at night.

Very similar to a video you posted last year. Seas appear to be running around 10-12 feet. What is causing the rolling of the ship, and the seas bursting off the bow, is the fact that you are heading across the Gulf Stream current, and the wind appears to be crosswise to the Stream, causing "confused seas" where the waves are in a different direction than the swells. Not even seriously rough seas.

Thank you for posting the video.

My "roughest" experience was aboard the Volendam, September, 2002, crossing the North Pacific. Standing in the Crow's Nest--or better said, hanging onto the furniture and fixtures--and watching the ship's bow rise on a wave's crest and then come slaming down into the trough, causing the water and spray to be shot even above the Crow's Nest.

Exciting! And, I loved it! (Some of my shipmates would disagree to be sure.)

That does not to rough to me. Several years we were in 26-28 ft. waves some where in the Caribbean now that is rough seas. I did not get sick but did not feel well, surprisingly I slept like a rock!!!!!

Would have to agree it could have been worse. But either way, gives me an appreciation for how bad some folks have it (e.g. Cuba or Haiti)...so they pile too many people into small crappy boats trying to get to the freedom of the US. And then deal with rough seas?