Orange Bowl help please!

highlandmom

We are getting off the Royal Princess on Dec 29th. The Orange Bowl is in Miami on Dec 31st. My DH & DS are huge college football fans and would like to see the game. We are flying in & out of Ft Lauderdale. Does anyone have any advice on how to make this dream come true? Post-cruise hotel where they could shuttle to the game? Shuttles? Etc. thank you kindly.

We are getting off the Royal Princess on Dec 29th. The Orange Bowl is in Miami on Dec 31st. My DH & DS are huge college football fans and would like to see the game. We are flying in & out of Ft Lauderdale. Does anyone have any advice on how to make this dream come true? Post-cruise hotel where they could shuttle to the game? Shuttles? Etc. thank you kindly.

Sunlife Stadium is in the middle of nowhere, which is why it's not a popular "shuttle" to venue.

The Dolphins started shuttling Tri Rail passengers from the Golden Glades station to the stadium for home games "free" and a return trip "free" as well. Not really sure if this is the same for the Orange Bowl. You also have sports bars like Duffy's who do special buses for Dolphin games. There is something called the "Bowl Bus" but I don't know much about it.

City Bus is too mehhh of a trip. Skip it.

If you stay somewhere like the Hard Rock. . . Taxi is not too expensive of a proposition ($30 each way).

Rental Car would be ideal. You'd have to pay for parking but it's so convenient to have a car in South Florida.

It's definitely doable . . . but just requires some planning and understanding of what you can do.

Edited by kdawg954

Hello. Just so you know, the actual "Orange Bowl" stadium in the city of Miami was demolished a number of years ago and is now the site of the Miami Marlins Stadium. The BCS kept the Orange Bowl name and the game is now played at Sun Life Stadium in the city of Miami Gardens, about 30-40 minutes from downtown Miami (home stadium of the Miami Dolphins and UM Hurricanes).

Miami Gardens is not a good area and I would not recommend staying there. If you want to stay somewhat near the stadium within 30 minutes, your best options would be either in Sunny Isles Beach, Hallandale Beach, Plantation, and of course Miami.

Having a rental car would be preferable though if you cannot find a hotel/shuttle/ticket package. The park-n-ride station (Tri-Rail station) at Golden Glades used to have bus service to the stadium for something like $8 per person round trip, but I do not know if that service is still offered.

In downtown Miami, there is a ticket package with the Hyatt Regency for 2-nights hotel and tickets to the game. I am not sure about shuttle service, but you can call the hotel to inquire. Here is a link I found:

https://www.ticketmastervip.com/tp/Orange-Bowl-Tickets/2014-Orange-Bowl-Hyatt-Regency-pkg-1409

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Edited by brunello22

The Orange Bowl activities are now all based in Fort Lauderdale (Orange Bowl Practice Field, the fireworks, etc) so that is where I'd stay.

As others have said, the Orange Bowl is in the middle of bum f#@$ Egypt. As the time gets closer, go to the Orange Bowl home page and start watching who the host hotels are. They will most probably be offering shuttle packages out to Sun Life Stadium.

I probably would not want to drive, just because driving the turnpike and 595 is not fun.

Tickets, unless it is some great team that travels well, should be easy to get. I use the ticket sites http://www.TicketCity.com, http://www.TicketMaster.com, and http://www.StubHub.com. You'll see tickets go on sale by early fall.

The Orange Bowl is a lot of fun and a fantastic place to see awesome college football!

Let me know if you need more help!

Edited by BlueHerons

The Dolphins started shuttling Tri Rail passengers from the Golden Glades station to the stadium for home games "free" and a return trip "free" as well. Not really sure if this is the same for the Orange Bowl. You also have sports bars like Duffy's who do special buses for Dolphin games. There is something called the "Bowl Bus" but I don't know much about it.

This sounds like tons of fun this fall! I forgot Duffy's is a sponsor of the Dolphins.

The host hotels are the Diplomat in Hollywood and the Fountainbleu in Miami Beach.

12 and 18 miles respectively.

It may only be 12 or 18 miles but it is a 40 minute trip from the beach. My husband drives it every day.

It is called "sun life stadium" now? Hasn't that place had about 14 different names the last few years. :D

I believe the "Sunlife" contract runs through next year. It actually has been that name for a good 4 or 5 years now . . . there was a time where it seemed liked it was getting a new name every year.

Still Joe Robbie stadium to the core Dolfan.

I believe the "Sunlife" contract runs through next year. It actually has been that name for a good 4 or 5 years now . . . there was a time where it seemed liked it was getting a new name every year.

Still Joe Robbie stadium to the core Dolfan.

I was stationed in San Diego while in the Navy..It will always be Jack Murphy Stadium. The Chicago White Sox will always be in Comiskey Park, Denver will always be Mile High stadium. I hate corporate names of stadiums

• 2 years later...

Glad to find this thread as my hubby and friends are going to a game there the night before our cruise out of port Everglades. We are staying at the Hyatt House in Dania, how hard will it be for him to get to the stadium? Should we rent a car or take a Taxi or uber? Any suggestions will be appreciated!!

Glad to find this thread as my hubby and friends are going to a game there the night before our cruise out of port Everglades. We are staying at the Hyatt House in Dania, how hard will it be for him to get to the stadium? Should we rent a car or take a Taxi or uber? Any suggestions will be appreciated!!

Rent a car. The stadium is kind of isolated in a bad area and I'd hate to get stuck out there.

Since Sun Life expired I think it's now will be known as New Miami Stadium until a new corporate sponsor can be found.

Why am I not surprised? Only in Miami.

Rent a car. The stadium is kind of isolated in a bad area and I'd hate to get stuck out there.

How dare you impugn the paradise triangle of Opa Locka, Miami Gardens and Carol City. I believe all the politicians' hype when they say that one bowl game is worth conservatively $8.2 trillion to the local economy. No doubt that Nebraskans are lined up 10 deep to purchase property here with white picket fences and views of sweeping herds of wildebeest. I personally have a summer cottage in Opa Locka. On the grounds are geese and stables for 19 ponies.

:p

How dare you impugn the paradise triangle of Opa Locka, Miami Gardens and Carol City. I believe all the politicians' hype when they say that one bowl game is worth conservatively $8.2 trillion to the local economy. No doubt that Nebraskans are lined up 10 deep to purchase property here with white picket fences and views of sweeping herds of wildebeest. I personally have a summer cottage in Opa Locka. On the grounds are geese and stables for 19 ponies.

:p

Haha! I don't know why people want to bother with Coral Gables and Old Cutler when you have Opa Locka!:D:D:D