55% price drop but my OTA can't do anything about!

Whether it's an online TA, or a Mom and Pop agency, either way, they should be looking out and trying to get the best fares for their customers.

I was a TA for 10 years, however, I would NEVER book a trip through a TA.

I don't like having to depend on ANYONE to get the best for me.

I have read some real horror stories about people trying to get their price drops but the TA's don't want to do it, because it reduces their commission. I didn't have to worry about that, because I didn't work on commission, but now that the airlines have taken that away, most of these TA's DEPEND on their commission to get their paycheck.

To each their own.

Good Luck!!!!:D:D:D

Yes it does. He said Carnival won't speak with him. If he would have booked directly with Carnival they would assist him or if he booked with a TA they can assist you.

What makes you feel that a man posted this to begin with?

So your advice is that nobody should book with you unless they can walk in and book in person? :confused:

Bill

No I say leave me out this conversation. I've got better things to do today

It is true carnival will not make changes to your reservation if you use a TA. However your TA should be able to do something for you as mine did. I recently had 2 price drops on my cruise. The first time I called I ws told there was nothing they could do because I didn't book early saver and that because I had paid my cruise in full there was nothing they could do. I took that because it was only $60. Then about 2 weeks later I saw another price drop and decided to try again. This time the agent I spoke with was able to get us a 2 category upgrade.

I guess it really is up to the agents involved on both sides what they can offer. I am 21 days out and there has been another drop. My plan is to wait until the week before and call back to see if we could get another upgrade because I know we won't get any type of OBC. Can't hurt but try.

Will the invoice online show the ES for early saver if that's how we booked?

Look at the email confirmations that they send you. Scroll down to the very bottom and this is what you should see if you booked under ES:

GUEST NOTES

1) This is confirmation this is a new booking along with payments received associated with your booking. 2) Early Saver: Changes made to the reservation may result in removal of the reduced deposit offer. Cancellations prior to final payment due date will receive a future cruise credit in the amount of the deposit less a $50 pp service fee. If you find a lower cruise rate, based on the total cabin occupancy& not from the booked ancillary services, such as air, transfers, prepaid gratuities, or government taxes & fees contact your Travel Agent or www.Carnival.com. Price protection does not apply to Super Saver, Instant Saver fares, group rates, membership rates, select promotions, or travel agent promotions. Verified rate difference is issued as an onboard credit. No name changes are allowed. A $50 fee per guest will be assessed for ship/sail date changes made prior to final payment date.

Nothing wrong with booking directly with Carnival if that is what you prefer.

I have never had a problem getting price reduction with my TA. Like mentioned earlier, if you are booked ES, you get OBC after final payment up to 2 days before cruise.

My TA has a form right online that I submit and within a couple hours, I have my price change.

As long as my TA gives me the excellent service they have in the past, I will continue to book with them.

Has anyone else noticed that the OP mentions they are only a couple of days away from sailing?

Even under early saver, doesn't it only give you price matches up to 2 days prior to the sail date?

The rate they are looking at is probably a last minute, take what cabin is left over, give-away price (great for those who live near the port and for whom vacation time isn't a problem).

And few people will be taking advantage of that price so it's not like she'll be surrounded by people paying half of what she did.

I was thinking the same thing. We once sailed with a large group who paid rock bottom prices. They were affiliated with a Senior's center in S. FL that monitored prices and members received notifications about very last minute cruises that retirees could take advantage of. They selected from what was left of the cabins. That's the way it goes.

Yes, wrigley means a TA that is a human, not a big huge online booking agency that takes your order for your vacation and doesn't care after the fact...

Well at least one person understands what I was trying to say.

Apparently, you have no experience with the " big online booking agencies " as you put it. You can use the same agent each time you book and build a relationship with them, the same as you would with a local TA or a PVP. But when you need something changed at 2am on a Sunday morning, you can still call your TA and someone will answer and start working on the issue. The person who takes you call will also leave a message with your agent, so that they are in the loop. Choose whatever way you want to book your cruises, but please don't try to tell people that the way you do it is the ONLY RIGHT WAY. You can get the same service good or bad which ever way you choose.

• 3 weeks later...

What a great forum! I was frustrated at the 55% price drop, but went on our cruise and had a FANTASTIC first cruise, and lesson learned, book with Carnival not with a big online travel agency. Thanks for all your input. Cruise critic is the best!

What a great forum! I was frustrated at the 55% price drop, but went on our cruise and had a FANTASTIC first cruise, and lesson learned, book with Carnival not with a big online travel agency. Thanks for all your input. Cruise critic is the best!

Great:) Also remember it has happened to many of us in the past as well:)

Just make sure next cruise you book the rate that suits you as Early Saver is not the be all and end all ,Remember online T/A,s can give some great perks upfront when booking like on board credit and paid gratuities but if staying with Carnival I believe booking direct is better:)

This issue has nothing to do with who the OP booked with.

Thank you!!

Whatever way you book, if you're NOT Early Saver - NO price drops after Final Payment.

No need to keep advising people to book direct next time. If they wish to enjoy price drops after Final Payment, advise them to book Early Saver.