Make Me Feel Better About Fore Cabin!

We were very late deciding and booking our cruise (Mediterranean) on Splendour of the Seas. We ended up with fore cabins (2 of them - about 12 or so from the very front of the ship). I keep hearing that we will really feel motion and would be more prone to seasickness there. Now I'm starting to feel worried :(

So...is this warranted? Can anyone give me their experiences with fore cabins? This is only our second cruise; the first was Alaska with a mid-ship cabin, which was fine.

Thanks!

We were the 10th & 11th cabins from the front on the Serenade on Deck 10 and it was just fine.

Think of it this way - it's better than being at work!

Ha! So true, MOSusan!

I just looked at the website; our travel agent booked us in an adjoining room, which is good. But I see there are a couple of rooms adjacent (though not adjoining, which isn't really an issue for us - we're going with our kids who are college aged) aft. Is it worth making a switch? Or should be just leave well enough alone?

I know....I'm overthinking this!:o

Lots of people book these cabins. I rarely see posts about motion sickness related to cabin position on ship. Usually it is a case of rough seas and everyone on the boat feels it.

In my experience, (which I have to say no matter what I post or someone will start complaining)...in the front of the ship you will feel more up and down motion and in midship--> aft you will feel more side to side motion.

Just get some bonine (meclizine) and start taking it the night before you start any travel (including air travel). If you are on the ship and feel fine then stop taking it.

Not the same ship but we were near the extreme forward on the Disney Fantasy and it seemed fine to us. A lot of people make a big deal about the motion and where you are, I didn't feel there was a lot of difference in the motion based on my location at any given point. We saw shows in the theater in the bow down low, we ate breakfast on the aft balcony up high, we ate dinner down low in the mid and aft, etc. If you concentrated you could feel a bit of motion, but if you didn't pay it attention it almost wasn't there.

Aww, I'm sorry you are worried about this. :( We have had several bow cabins, including one in the very front of the ship which overlooked the helipad, and also the one that was right next to the bridge. Both were great! Yes, we felt the motion but only the first night until we got used to it.

The advantages are that the bow cabins are generally quieter because the only people walking past your cabin are those who have cabins there too - no one running down the hall screaming (hopefully). Also, we found that on these particular cruises, well, let's just say we got our exercise with the extra walking, and found we didn't put on as much weight as we might normally! LOL

Personally, I would not take any kind of medication prior or even during, but especially prior until you know how you are going to feel. I took Bonine one cruise and was out of it for two days. It was awful. But, I know it does work for some people. For occasional nausea or sea sickness, we use the Sea Bands wrist bands - non-medicinal and they work great. Have even seen some crew/staff members wearing them. :)

Have fun!

Personally, I would not take any kind of medication prior or even during, but especially prior until you know how you are going to feel.

A good idea would be to take the medication before your vacation if you are worried that it might affect you adversely.

OP- Meclizine (bonine) is what they give out on the ships for motion sickness so you might want to try it out beforehand.

Just remember, you will only be in the cabin at night.....the rest of the day you'll be all over the ship!

You'll be fine. As another said, if it's THAT rough, the entire ship is gonna feel the motion! The front doesn't move independently from the rest of the ship!

i did western med, and I have never seen water so smooth as I did in the Med. I called it 'bath water', as it was glass smooth, especially from Greece back to Italy. Of course, this really depends on the weather conditions, but it was nothing like the Atlantic

Mediterranean is very smooth sailing!!! YOu will be so excited to be there, the front of the ship won't even affect you! We were in the same area on the Allure. No problem!! Enjoy your trip, especially with your kids! Who knows when you will be able to do this again? We did it last summer with our college age kids. We had a balcony. They, an inside. They loved it!! so did we!:)

You're definitely overthinking it: You'll be fine. I've sailed in a very forward cabin -- if memory serves, it was 3rd from the end -- and we enjoyed it. Two specific points about forward cabins:

- People tout the benefits of aft cabins and hump cabins, and those positives are very real; however, that doesn't mean that forward cabins are BAD. Rather, it just means they lack the extra "ooh, aah" features available elsewhere. There is NOTHING AT ALL negative about forward cabins.

- Any concerns about the forward cabins causing more sea sickness are more mental than physical. The movement in different areas of the ship is minimal, if it exists at all. Regardless, you're not going to be in your cabin all the time, so what difference would it make?

We completed a Mediterranean cruise on Splendour in Oct/Nov 2010. We had an inside room which was forward (on the port side) on deck 3. I initially felt some movement the first night but after that, I did not notice it.

Don't worry about it, but, take precautions and bring some motion-sickness pills just in case if you have a hx of it.

We were the second balcony to the front on Grandeur last year. We did feel the ship a bit more than in the past, BUT it was the smallest ship we had ever been on and the trip into Baltimore is notorious for tough seas. I wouldn't have a problem booking that cabin again.