Jewel Drydock in SF - Let the Games Begin!

CarlsDad

Me too Peg, didn't mean to come off ungreatful, was just curious.

No one thinks you are ungrateful. I had first answered your question about the railings and then realized it had been already answered and edited my answer out.......and wanted to replace it rather than say never mind. :o I edited so fast I forgot I quoted you, Sorry. :o

Edit to add: I am totally losing it....I could have sworn I quoted you.....maybe I did edit it out?!??!?

Edited by peg013

I made it over to Mission Bay today and was able to grab some photos of the Jewel all laid up in dry dock. She is at BAE Systems, at the end of 20th Street in San Francisco. A decent viewing area is easily accessible from a public pier on Tony Francois St and Mission Bay St.

Awesome pics! It's a hard place to get a good photograph.

Wish there was some elevation to get better pics around there. I like that they have that little pier and the park benches though.

I always laugh when the put a diaper on the rear end. Golden Princess taking a poop :p

IMG_0638.jpg.5f713e66157ccb76a9a25dee5ecbd181.jpg

Edited by gcvt

Just politely bumping this question since most people are understandably drawn in by the interesting pictures. :)

So, I notice that NCL.com still shows the current (old) deck plans. Are the new ones available anywhere?

(And why doesn't NCL do like other lines and show "pre" and "post" deck plans like other lines do? ...I know people here won't know the answer to that one.)

Just politely bumping this question since most people are understandably drawn in by the interesting pictures. :)

I'm not sure why NCL does not show the new deck plans online. They usually do. Perhaps it's because there are no changes to cabins (just a couple public spaces), unlike when they replaced Spinnaker with suites on other ships? In that aspect, it really wouldn't affect people's booking choices. AFAIK, the only layout changes that will be taking place are the relocation of Moderno and replacement of Blue Lagoon and current Moderno with O'Sheehan's. Since this is the first ship to make these changes, perhaps they are making sure it all works out before they make the changes to the Deck Plans.

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

I'm not sure why NCL does not show the new deck plans online. They usually do. Perhaps it's because there are no changes to cabins (just a couple public spaces), unlike when they replaced Spinnaker with suites on other ships? In that aspect, it really wouldn't affect people's booking choices. AFAIK, the only layout changes that will be taking place are the relocation of Moderno and replacement of Blue Lagoon and current Moderno with O'Sheehan's. Since this is the first ship to make these changes, perhaps they are making sure it all works out before they make the changes to the Deck Plans.

Robin

I agree the planned changes do not effect the ability to book cabins. No new cabins added like the Star, Spirit, Dawn, or POA. The only updates needed are the names in a few public spaces.

I doubt they lost much or any time. Had they gotten in last night real work would not have started until this morning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

While "real work" to CC members (work on the refurbishment of the public areas) may not have been delayed, the "real work" that is required in the drydock was surely delayed. Delay in getting into dock delays pumping the dock up, which delays any underwater work. Almost within minutes of the drydock floor going dry, they will start lowering "dockarms" (cherry pickers) into the dock to allow pressure washing of the hull. This removes all old paint, surface contamination, and marine growth, and then the hull needs to dry before they can even think of starting painting. If any blasting is to be done, this needs to be tarped over the whole length of the ship, and this was probably delayed as well.

Generally, the cruise lines are very good about having manufacturer's reps onboard during drydock, such as ABB for the pods, the stabilizer and thruster mfg reps, the electrical switchgear mfg rep, as well as visits at least from the vendors for galley and laundry equipment.

While "real work" to CC members (work on the refurbishment of the public areas) may not have been delayed, the "real work" that is required in the drydock was surely delayed. Delay in getting into dock delays pumping the dock up, which delays any underwater work. Almost within minutes of the drydock floor going dry, they will start lowering "dockarms" (cherry pickers) into the dock to allow pressure washing of the hull. This removes all old paint, surface contamination, and marine growth, and then the hull needs to dry before they can even think of starting painting. If any blasting is to be done, this needs to be tarped over the whole length of the ship, and this was probably delayed as well.

Generally, the cruise lines are very good about having manufacturer's reps onboard during drydock, such as ABB for the pods, the stabilizer and thruster mfg reps, the electrical switchgear mfg rep, as well as visits at least from the vendors for galley and laundry equipment.

If that was all being done the dry dock could be done in a week. The work that takes the most time are the changes onboard. Like any dry dock I am sure the crew onboard started tearing things apart as soon as the last passengers were off the Jewel.

Anyone know where the majority of the Jewel's crew are while she is in dry dock?

Working on the ship. They get to pull up carpet, paint, haul material. Drydock is a nightmare for most of the crew.

Sent from my iPhone - Jim

If that was all being done the dry dock could be done in a week. The work that takes the most time are the changes onboard. Like any dry dock I am sure the crew onboard started tearing things apart as soon as the last passengers were off the Jewel.

I tend to disagree with you. Very often, most of the bottom paint and a good bit of topsides hull paint needs to be removed before repainting. While the grit blasting is going on, work cannot be done on thrusters, stabilizers, or azipods, so there has to be some scheduling around each other. The 3 cruise ships I drydocked, the underwater and "technical" (engine room) work started as soon as the dock went dry, and was still being completed just before flooding the dock, and each one of those docks was 14 days, minimum. If the underwater work could be done in a week, they would flood the dock and get the ship to a "wet berth" to complete the guest area refurbishments, since that is significantly cheaper, and the drydock itself is constantly in demand.

While I agree that many times the hotel renovations overrun the drydock period, trust me that the technical requirements drive the time in actual drydock more, and will run the entire period. 10 days is a normal drydock period for a cargo ship, so jamming all the mechanical repairs needed on a cruise ship into 14 days is quite an exercise.

Anyone know where the majority of the Jewel's crew are while she is in dry dock?

There will be anywhere between 500-1000 subcontractors (non-shipyard workers) onboard, who will be staying in guest cabins, so some crew are needed to service these cabins, and to provide meals in the MDR. It is not cost effective to pay these subcontractors to clean up after themselves, nor to empty furniture from cabins and public spaces for carpet renewal, nor to run furniture to the upholsterers for repair, so many crew are used for these jobs. Many hotel crew are also used as "fire watch", where they sit around in areas where the shipyard is cutting and welding (and many times on the other side of the steel bulkhead to ensure the paint on that side doesn't catch fire) with a fire extinguisher to "watch for fire". The guys cutting and welding are intent on their job, and aren't always aware of where their sparks are flying. The Environmental Officer will commandeer a large force to haul trash from wherever on the ship to the pool deck and fill the dumpsters staged there.

Crew hours are usually reduced to 10-11 hours per day, and generally they can get a half day off each week.

Well' date=' there goes my beloved Star Bar. But so glad to know Spinnaker will remain where she is.

Loving the pics, keep them coming![/quote']

I'm wondering if the whole Star Bar will actually be gone. They may leave it or make it smaller, using the dining room behind it for Moderno (the space that used to be where they served Cagney's suite B&L and was overflow for the larger Cagney's space). I think that second dining room, combined with the back dining room behind it (that was usually closed or used for large groups) plus the forward part of the Star Bar would be more than enough space for Moderno - certainly as big or bigger than Moderno's current space. I guess we'll know in another 9 days!

Robin

I tend to disagree with you. Very often, most of the bottom paint and a good bit of topsides hull paint needs to be removed before repainting. While the grit blasting is going on, work cannot be done on thrusters, stabilizers, or azipods, so there has to be some scheduling around each other. The 3 cruise ships I drydocked, the underwater and "technical" (engine room) work started as soon as the dock went dry, and was still being completed just before flooding the dock, and each one of those docks was 14 days, minimum. If the underwater work could be done in a week, they would flood the dock and get the ship to a "wet berth" to complete the guest area refurbishments, since that is significantly cheaper, and the drydock itself is constantly in demand.

While I agree that many times the hotel renovations overrun the drydock period, trust me that the technical requirements drive the time in actual drydock more, and will run the entire period. 10 days is a normal drydock period for a cargo ship, so jamming all the mechanical repairs needed on a cruise ship into 14 days is quite an exercise.

There will be anywhere between 500-1000 subcontractors (non-shipyard workers) onboard, who will be staying in guest cabins, so some crew are needed to service these cabins, and to provide meals in the MDR. It is not cost effective to pay these subcontractors to clean up after themselves, nor to empty furniture from cabins and public spaces for carpet renewal, nor to run furniture to the upholsterers for repair, so many crew are used for these jobs. Many hotel crew are also used as "fire watch", where they sit around in areas where the shipyard is cutting and welding (and many times on the other side of the steel bulkhead to ensure the paint on that side doesn't catch fire) with a fire extinguisher to "watch for fire". The guys cutting and welding are intent on their job, and aren't always aware of where their sparks are flying. The Environmental Officer will commandeer a large force to haul trash from wherever on the ship to the pool deck and fill the dumpsters staged there.

Crew hours are usually reduced to 10-11 hours per day, and generally they can get a half day off each week.

Thanks so much for your input and comments! I'm enjoying your posts - geeky, nerdy me is sorta fascinated by the behind-the-scenes of dry dock! :o

Thanks so much for your input and comments! I'm enjoying your posts - geeky' date=' nerdy me is sorta fascinated by the behind-the-scenes of dry dock! :o[/quote']

Fascinating until you've planned, coordinated, and completed a dozen or more. Then you start to look like me; gray hair and balding, with a "hunted" look about the eyes, and a twitch whenever someone calls your name. :D

fascinating until you've planned, coordinated, and completed a dozen or more. Then you start to look like me; gray hair and balding, with a "hunted" look about the eyes, and a twitch whenever someone calls your name. :d

lol !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:d

Thanks so much for your input and comments! I'm enjoying your posts - geeky' date=' nerdy me is sorta fascinated by the behind-the-scenes of dry dock! :o[/quote']

I'm with kroozin' thank you for the behind the scenes info on the goings on of a dry dock. I can't wait to see how all of their hard work turns out in a couple weeks :D

Thanks for posting this

im going to have to swing by tomorrow and see her drydock in person:D

Edited by jonbgd

Any guesses when she will be leaving SF for Seattle for her first Alaska cruise that leaves Seattle on May 17th? :confused:

It's about one day and change from SF to Seattle, so most likely she would leave the 15th.