Pea Soup?

lazey1

For you lucky people who have been on recent cruises to Alaska;

Does HAL still provide pea soup on the outdoor viewing areas?

Is it possible to get the same pea soup from room service so we can enjoy it on our veranda?

I remember it being served on the decks during Glacier days. I know people like to sit on the verandas but we always went up where we could get a panorama view. The captain does a cute turn around so that everyone gets a view and tries to get as close as possible but sometimes the wind or the ice makes this impossible. Never heard of room service for the soup. Take your tray under the ice bucket and get your own on the deck and bring it back?

For the first time ever, we had pea soup on the Noordam this winter. It was wonderful.

If you are a pea soup fanatic (like I am!), I would suggest buying the split peas at Fresh Market (if you have one). I bought them recently and used them with our Easter ham. They were so much better than the store brand split peas from our local grocery. Yum. DH told me it was the best pea soup I've ever made...and I've made a lot!

For those of you in the Neptune Suites, see or call the consierge, and they will bring the pea soup to your stateroom and serve it on your private veranda.:o.

Edited by BumperII

For you lucky people who have been on recent cruises to Alaska;

Does HAL still provide pea soup on the outdoor viewing areas?

Is it possible to get the same pea soup from room service so we can enjoy it on our veranda?

The soup is green pea, not yellow pea soup. It's very good. Can't wait to have a bowl next month (and those lovely raisin buns).

I had not heard of Fresh Market either.

I googled it, found one location in Massachusetts and wish there was one near me. :)

The produce looks great. Displayed nicely.

Judy...The Fresh Market is only about a mile from us here...everything is just that....fresh. I had a block of gruyere cheese I bought at Trader Joe's last week already develop mold. That happens often with their food...other than frozen. No worries at Fresh Market. Interestingly, they're in the same location at the Hingham Shipyard.

There was a Fresh Market 5 minutes from me in NY, but none here in Jersey. We do have tons of fresh farmer's stands though. And, also Whole Food and Wegmans. Both of those have everything fresh. Pea soup sounds wonderful.

There was a Fresh Market 5 minutes from me in NY, but none here in Jersey. We do have tons of fresh farmer's stands though. And, also Whole Food and Wegmans. Both of those have everything fresh. Pea soup sounds wonderful.

Carol.....I mentioned The Fresh Market because when I asked if they had dried split peas, they showed me some that are new to them...in really cool packaging, BTW!

I've made pea soup after every ham we've had for 45 years. And Fred said it was the best pea soup I'd ever made. The only difference was the peas from Fresh Market. Go figure.

I've made it so many times, I don't use a recipe. Chicken broth or stock, carrots, onions, garlic, and the dried peas. And a few seasonings. This time I used Mrs. Dash which I've not used before, so that could be the difference.

Edited by innlady1