Random Alaska cruise question

Shmoo here

Has anyone else had the experience that the ship will bring onboard a piece of iceberg for people to get up close and personal with as it cruises, say, Tracy Arm? Or anywhere else?

Edited by Shmoo here

Thanks everyone. I haven't seen it on HAL, either. However, it did happen on our Kenai Fjords boat tour.

Reason I'm asking - someone on another board is saying that "the naturalist on our cruise said XXX (don't want to ruffle too many feathers, but it's not HAL) is the only cruise line that goes all the way into Tracy Arm and the only cruise line that retrieves icebergs to bring onboard for people to get close to". And I was curious if other lines did it. I kinda thought maybe it really isn't allowed. ;) Sorta like "leave no trace" camping.

On one of the old Cruise West ships, crew went off in a small boat and brought on some ice. I believe we were in Tracy Arm. Have not seen it done on a HAL ship.

Oh, I remember that from our cruise in 1999. Having a smaller ship for that cruise was amazing.

Trish

On our helicopter excursion that landed on a glacier the pilot chipped of pieces of glacial ice - it tasted very minerally.

I used to think it would be nice to try it (glacial ice chips I mean) in a shaken martini...but maybe not. :eek:

The old Noordam did this in Glacier Bay in 1989. Chipped ice and gave everyone on deck a glass of water filled with the glacier ice. :cool: Sorry to hear that this is no longer done.

The old Noordam did this in Glacier Bay in 1989. Chipped ice and gave everyone on deck a glass of water filled with the glacier ice. :cool: Sorry to hear that this is no longer done.

Glacier Bay is a national park. I bet there are lots of rules and regulations about what can and cannot be done there.

Has anyone else had the experience that the ship will bring onboard a piece of iceberg for people to get up close and personal with as it cruises, say, Tracy Arm? Or anywhere else?

Come on. It is just a chunk of ice. They could just take a big piece of ice from their freezer and say that it is iceberg ice and you would not know the difference.

DON

Come on. It is just a chunk of ice. They could just take a big piece of ice from their freezer and say that it is iceberg ice and you would not know the difference.

DON

Quite true. I wasn't asking hoping it would be done. If you read the whole thread, I explained I was only looking for some information.

Personally, I don't care one way or the other if it's done. Although, I believe (thanks to my scouting history) that nature should pretty much be left alone.

DON

When we hiked Mendenhall I was quite fascinated with how HARD the ice was. A piece of it didn't melt quickly and the sound walking on it was almost metallic.

It even felt really different. (With over 20 years if figure skating I guess I'm a bit obsessed with ice.....)

HAL used to bring a chunk of glacial ice on board while in Glacier Bay. I know they did that on our Prinsendam cruise in 1980. Can't say I remember it happening since then.

Edited by Mary Ellen

One of my best memories is when the bartender kept throwing ice at us in the pool and called them berg bits. It was second to the real things for us, it helped make a memorable cruise.