Clock in room?

Volendam, I was reading another thread about what to pack and several wrote about bringing a clock...Seemed strange as most hotel rooms have a clock or clock radio. Am I understanding right, that most of the staterooms don't have a clock?

no clocks in most rooms - we have an LLBean travel alarm clock that lives in our suitcase. It is very small and lightweight and lights up when you touch it. Use it in hotel rooms also, as sometimes it is tedious to set the alarm on those clock radios they have in most hotels.

I've only seen clocks in Neptune Suite cabins, and those are on the wall and do not have any sort of alarms. The phone system does have a wake up call capability though and has never failed us (knocking on wood as I type this....). Heck only knows what a radio would provide you.

If you want a clock, best bring a small travel clock with you. :)

Edited by 0bnxshs

A ship is not a hotel. The only place you'll find wall mounted clocks are the Neptune Suites.

Get a travel clock to keep on your night stand.

Or use your cell phone - but make sure to have it in airplane mode.

DON

A ship is not a hotel. The only place you'll find wall mounted clocks are the Neptune Suites.

Get a travel clock to keep on your night stand.

If it's not a hotel, why do they have a hotel manager?:confused:

If it's not a hotel, why do they have a hotel manager?:confused:

:cool: Just for the sake of absolute accuracy, HAL no longer has Hotel Managers.

They are now called Hotel Directors. :rolleyes: :D

Edited by sail7seas

:cool: Just for the sake of absolute accuracy, HAL no longer has Hotel Managers.

They are now called Hotel Directors. :rolleyes: :D

Thank you. I stand corrected:D

On the other hand, why do they have a Hotel Service Charge if it's not a hotel?:confused:

From what I recall there is a very tiny digital clock on the telephone only so brining a clock is a good thing.

LuLu

Yes Lulu exactly. I guess it qualifies by definition but it isn't particularly useful. We always bring our own travel alarm clock.

TBH I never noticed it on the NA- it was one of the changes that they made when introducing the NA that they felt was an upgrade over the Edam as mentioned by Stan Kuppens in a meet and greet I attended.

The ship is about the only place I use a watch. In ordinary life, I find it annoying to have one on when using my laptop so mostly I use my phone as my watch, or room/laptop clock(s) around the house, so it's easy to forget that on the ship I will probably want to know what time it is while out doing this and that; thus the watch. So you might want to add that to your packing list, if you don't routinely wear a watch all the time.

They do sell $10 watches if worst comes to worst. I confess to having two or three of them; the result of forgetting to bring one of them when I packed. Of course I could carry the phone and I often do have it with me on the ship, in airplane mode, because I sometimes read books on it when I don't want to carry the iPad, but the watch is useful.

One of the "fun" things about a Neptune Suite is the automatic time-changing of the clock that happens at 2 AM when the ship time changes. We enjoy the sound of it advancing and might even turn on the light to watch it. Unfortunately we usually sleep through it.

Thank you. I stand corrected:D

On the other hand, why do they have a Hotel Service Charge if it's not a hotel?:confused:

If it's a Hotel, why do they give you free food, free room service, and free entertainment?

Hotels charge for food, room service, and entertainment.

If you look on the Stock Exchange for Cruise Line Companies, do not look in the Hotel Section. You won't find any.

Cruise Lines are listed under Transportation Companies, along with the airlines.

Volendam, I was reading another thread about what to pack and several wrote about bringing a clock...Seemed strange as most hotel rooms have a clock or clock radio. Am I understanding right, that most of the staterooms don't have a clock?

Most ships do not have clocks in most cabins.

Those cruise lines that tried to put clocks in cabins had them all quickly stolen by passengers.

I worked for one cruise line that tried to place alarm clocks in all staterooms.

They all disappeared in one week.

Then we bought 220 volt alarm clocks that would not work in America.

They all disappeared in one week

Then we hard-wired them into the walls and placed signs warning that the 220 volt clocks would not work in America.

We tried one more time, super-glueing the clocks to the top of the bedside table.

The passengers pried them off the tables, destroying the table tops.

We gave up.

If it's a Hotel, why do they give you free food, free room service, and free entertainment?

There is no free lunch on a ship. :D

Hotels charge for food, room service, and entertainment.

As do ships. ;)

Most ships do not have clocks in most cabins.

Those cruise lines that tried to put clocks in cabins had them all quickly stolen by passengers.

I worked for one cruise line that tried to place alarm clocks in all staterooms.

Then we bought 220 volt alarm clocks that would not work in America.

They all disappeared in one week

Then we hard-wired them into the walls and placed signs warning that the 220 volt clocks would not work in America.

We tried one more time, super-glueing the clocks to the top of the bedside table.

The passengers pried them off the tables, destroying the table tops.

We gave up.

That is simply amazing. I'd love to know which cruise line that was on. Sounds like a classy crowd:rolleyes:.

The ship is about the only place I use a watch. In ordinary life, I find it annoying to have one on when using my laptop so mostly I use my phone as my watch, or room/laptop clock(s) around the house, so it's easy to forget that on the ship I will probably want to know what time it is while out doing this and that; thus the watch. So you might want to add that to your packing list, if you don't routinely wear a watch all the time.

They do sell $10 watches if worst comes to worst. I confess to having two or three of them; the result of forgetting to bring one of them when I packed. Of course I could carry the phone and I often do have it with me on the ship, in airplane mode, because I sometimes read books on it when I don't want to carry the iPad, but the watch is useful.

One of the "fun" things about a Neptune Suite is the automatic time-changing of the clock that happens at 2 AM when the ship time changes. We enjoy the sound of it advancing and might even turn on the light to watch it. Unfortunately we usually sleep through it.

I really wish people would wear watches. I get asked often what the time is. Is it really that difficult to wear a watch?

We have always slept through when the clock is advanced. I couldn't tell you what is sounds like.

I really wish people would wear watches. I get asked often what the time is. Is it really that difficult to wear a watch?

I always wear a watch. DH rarely wears one.

When we are sitting in the waiting rooms of doctors offices, he is constantly asking me what time it is.

We have always slept through when the clock is advanced. I couldn't tell you what is sounds like.

Just a little whirring and clicking. It not really noticeable, as evidenced by the fact that it hasn't woken you up. :)

If you also did not wear one, nobody would ask you for the time! :D

Full disclosure: I don't wear a watch and seldom need to ask the time; I use my iphone which is usually with me, even on a ship. I don't use the phone functions at sea and the camera function is handy when I don't have my camera with me.

I do have a cheap Casio watch I occasionally use on cruises but I never got the battery replaced before our Divina cruise and managed fine.