What Camera to Bring to Alaska

I'm typically a DSLR user and currently have a Canon SL1 with a kit lens (18-55) and also have the 55-250 telephone zoom lens. Just wondering if this is overkill for my Alaska cruise (and too much to bring on a long trip). I'm thinking about a bridge camera (such as a Sony HX-400B). Just curious what other novice photographers think about bringing a bridge camera over a DSLR.

Bring the big guns. There's so much majestic beauty - landscape, wildlife, history - that you're going to want the best you can capture.

My wife and I cruised with four DSLRs/6 lenses our first Alaska cruise, five (though one served as a time-lapse camera) and 7 lenses our second Alaska cruise, and we're rolling with five and 8-10 lenses for the next one.

Yes. If you're even mildly into photography and want to capture the beauty of Alaska then you would do well to bring your heavy artillery. Your 18-55 will do fine for interior shots and stuff on the ship as well as sweeping landscape and glaciers. You'll want the reach of the telephoto zoom for wildlife (eagles, whales, bears, etc...). If you're taking any of the excursions that involve taking you out to see some wildlife then bring the longest telephoto that you can. Actually I would go so far as to even suggest renting a super-telephoto. I found that even my 70-300 at 300 was often not long enough to capture some of the eagles in flight. Also, if you have a balcony room, consider taking a tripod. You'll be amazed at what you can find just by looking at the shoreline. Also remember that if you have stabilisation and you are shooting from a tripod while on the ship, you should leave your stabilisation on despite what the instructions tell you about turning off stabilisation when shooting from a tripod.

Thanks for the tips and replies. I'm thinking getting a Canon 70D since the SL1 is probably too small for a large zoom lens. I also plan to look into renting a super zoom.

I'm going to agree with the others, take you DSLR with your current lenses. I too would suggest a super telephoto if you can. You may find that your longest telephoto may not be long enough for some bird & wildlife shots. I found my 70-300mm too short of a reach for bird photography so I purchased a Sigma 150-500mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the tips and replies. I'm thinking getting a Canon 70D since the SL1 is probably too small for a large zoom lens. I also plan to look into renting a super zoom.

SL1 is by no means too small for a large zoom lens. It's all about the lens anyway, so use what you have if you're comfortable with it. (That's the biggest key here: it'll take you some time to get comfortable with anything outside the Rebel line if you've had one for a while - we got rid of our Rebel specifically because it was so much different than our other higher-end cameras.)

But yes, I highly recommend renting for an Alaska trip.

I'm typically a DSLR user Just wondering if this is overkill for my Alaska cruise (and too much to bring on a long trip). I'm thinking about a bridge camera (such as a Sony HX-400B).

I may be burnt at stake for heresy but ...

I would think seriously about a bridge camera such as the HX-400B, Panasonic FZ200 etc.

I had a bridge camera and the 600mm on it was really useful up in Denali and the other sites in places like Juneau, Stagway etc. It was light enough to lug around and small enough to use on shipboard. And you don't have to carry around a bunch of lenses around.

That said, if your intention is to make only 16x20 prints, you would bring along your DSLR and buy/rent a 600mm+ lens.

My two-cents anyway.

I am not sure if the big rental houses or a local rental shop has them available yet but the new Tamron 150-600 is getting rave reviews. It's got great reach and is fairly portable given its focal length so it should be a good travel alternative for those who don't want to carry around really big lenses. The rental prices seem reasonable. If you have constant use for super-telephotos then you may even want to consider purchasing one depending on your budget.

BorrowLenses is based in Seattle and they expect to have these lenses for rental starting the end of May. You might also want to check LensRentals.

Other options for lenses include the Sigma 50-500, Tamron 200-500, Canon 400/5.6L and the Canon 100-400. They're all fairly cheap to rent and not too big and bulky. Going bigger and faster dramatically raises the daily rates as well as their size.

I may be burnt at stake for heresy but ...

I would think seriously about a bridge camera such as the HX-400B, Panasonic FZ200 etc.

I had a bridge camera and the 600mm on it was really useful up in Denali and the other sites in places like Juneau, Stagway etc. It was light enough to lug around and small enough to use on shipboard. And you don't have to carry around a bunch of lenses around.

That said, if your intention is to make only 16x20 prints, you would bring along your DSLR and buy/rent a 600mm+ lens.

My two-cents anyway.

Bridge camera is fine as long it is sunny and you are shooting at a non-moving object.

Bridge camera is fine as long it is sunny and you are shooting at a non-moving object.

We all know that wildlife loves to pose! I think they might serve as a great back-up camera. JMHO.

Edited by Mike2131

I generally bring my 60D and my bridge camera. The bridge camera just doesn't weigh enough to justify leaving it at home. I don't carry it everywhere I go but in places like Glacier Bay I never know when I will want that 40X zoom. Having the 40X zoom also keeps me from thinking about renting a 400mm lens for the DLSR. As you can tell I am clearly a novice.

I plan on the same thing I did for Yellowstone. DSLR with an assortment of lenses from 12 to 300mm (upgraded to a new weather-sealed Pentax K-30 in eager anticipation of first cruise...), Olympus XZ-1 compact, waterproof Pentax WG-10 for severe rain or kayaking or ... Plus my spousal unit got a new Canon P&S to take along. My only debate so far is deciding if I want to pop for renting a 400 tele for the trip too.

*ALL* will accompany me on excursions. The Oly will be with me whenever I leave the cabin, the DSLR might occasionally stay there without me (we'll see) :cool:

I'd be shocked if I end up with under 2000 images (plus DW's count...) for the week. I would *not* be shocked to exceed twice that count!

Jim

Edited by RoxnDox

I plan on the same thing I did for Yellowstone. DSLR with an assortment of lenses from 12 to 300mm (upgraded to a new weather-sealed Pentax K-30 in eager anticipation of first cruise...), Olympus XZ-1 compact, waterproof Pentax WG-10 for severe rain or kayaking or ... Plus my spousal unit got a new Canon P&S to take along. My only debate so far is deciding if I want to pop for renting a 400 tele for the trip too.

I'd be shocked if I end up with under 2000 images (plus DW's count...) for the week. I would *not* be shocked to exceed twice that count!

Looks like you don't have a Canon DSLR...I was going to recommend their 400 f/4 DO IS L lens. Incredibly light (4.5 pounds) for a 400 with IS, and relatively small (it's not small by any means, but smaller than if it didn't have the DO element).

Our last Alaska cruise was 9400 images for 145GB.

No, Pentax for me. I just upgraded to the K-30, largely to get weather sealed body as well as overall technology improvements (7 yrs worth from my current body...). The plan is to use an excellent also-new weather sealed 18-135 for walkabout and whale watching tour, an excellent 12-24 wide zoom for scenic, and an adequate 70-300 for a bit more reach from shipboard. At the moment, just debating whether to add in a 300 or 400 prime as a rental.

Jim

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'd agree to bring the highest end camera and longest reach lens you can. I'd also suggest polarizing filters for the lenses, invaluable when shooting anything with lots of reflection from water, bright, direct sun, snow, etc.

Great reviews, wonderful specs, and weather sealed. I will start practicing with it using my legacy lenses. Before our Alaska cruise in early July, I will probably invest in 2 weather resistant Pentax lenses. If anyone is considering this camera, please post here and I will give you my thoughts. It came with the battery grip and a FLU card, so I am anxious to try those out as well.

Great reviews, wonderful specs, and weather sealed. I will start practicing with it using my legacy lenses. Before our Alaska cruise in early July, I will probably invest in 2 weather resistant Pentax lenses. If anyone is considering this camera, please post here and I will give you my thoughts. It came with the battery grip and a FLU card, so I am anxious to try those out as well.

If you haven't run across us before, check out http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/ - especially the K-3 subsection... If my budget wasn't already busted I'd love to have gone for the K-3 (went K-30 instead).

I did get the DA 18-135 WR lens along with the new body, and so far I am really impressed with it. Here's a sample from 18mm end http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/216433d1397887912-post-your-k-30-photos-here-imgp0030.jpg and here's one from 135mm http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/216434d1397887912-post-your-k-30-photos-here-imgp0051.jpg. I figure that will be my walkabout lens if it's rainy, and will stay on there for the whale-watching excursion so I don't have to change out in the salt-spray environment.

I've also got the very nice DA 12-24 which will be going along (and which so far produces great results), a Promaster 70-300 (an adequate lens), and some legacy glass from my K1000. The old SMC-M 135mm prime produced some lovely colors and sharpness the day I took it out to play. My fave that day is at http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/122/6/0/harborrainier_smc135mm_small_by_roxndox-d7gv470.jpg

I don't know what you're changing from, but so far the use of the 2 control wheels (vs the one wheel on my older K100D) has been the biggest adjustment. Menus are pretty good, feel and features are nice, and I'm getting hte hang of the new body - so I'm really happy and also really glad I gave myself time to learn it...

Jim

If you haven't run across us before, check out http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/ - especially the K-3 subsection... If my budget wasn't already busted I'd love to have gone for the K-3 (went K-30 instead).

I did get the DA 18-135 WR lens along with the new body, and so far I am really impressed with it. Here's a sample from 18mm end http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/216433d1397887912-post-your-k-30-photos-here-imgp0030.jpg and here's one from 135mm http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/216434d1397887912-post-your-k-30-photos-here-imgp0051.jpg. I figure that will be my walkabout lens if it's rainy, and will stay on there for the whale-watching excursion so I don't have to change out in the salt-spray environment.

I've also got the very nice DA 12-24 which will be going along (and which so far produces great results), a Promaster 70-300 (an adequate lens), and some legacy glass from my K1000. The old SMC-M 135mm prime produced some lovely colors and sharpness the day I took it out to play. My fave that day is at http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/122/6/0/harborrainier_smc135mm_small_by_roxndox-d7gv470.jpg

I don't know what you're changing from, but so far the use of the 2 control wheels (vs the one wheel on my older K100D) has been the biggest adjustment. Menus are pretty good, feel and features are nice, and I'm getting hte hang of the new body - so I'm really happy and also really glad I gave myself time to learn it...

Jim

Hi Jim,

No, I had not found the Pentax forum. I will definitely check it out this week. What I am changing from is pretty funny - a Pentax PZ SLR.

I used to be one of those guys everyone has seen on vacation - 2 cameras (an ME Super and an LX) one with slide film and one with print film. It got to the point I was taking pictures and not really looking at what I was shooting. I finally decided to step back and stop for a while. I traded to get the PZ and never used it much.

Digital finally evolved to the point I could felt comfortable going to one camera. I liked the "weather-proof" nature of my WG-1 and the K-3 was a camera I thought I could grow into.

I thought it was funny when my wife and i first met back in our Air Force days, she had an ME Super and I had my K1000, and between us a fairly decent set of lenses... 30 yrs later, still have it all! I have to admit the film bodies haven't seen any action for a few yrs... I always take at least one camera with me when traveling, more than one for places like Yellowstone or Hawaii (and Alaska!!!,) but I do let myself enjoy the sights with the Mk I Eyeball as well as the viewfinder. Enjoy that K-3 and we'll see you over in the forums :-) I use the same username there as here.

Jim

Sent from my iPad using Forums