Bad accents and bad attitude

Just tried to speak to the customer service staff at Guatemala, the first problem is the very heavy drawl it may be OK if you are local but it is a problem for non US customers. I tried the C&A loyalty number and asked if she would like my loyalty number he reply was "I don't understand what that is" I then said well do you want my reservation number, she said "what is that" at that point I hung up and called the main help desk. I inquired regarding the price drop on our imminent cruise and whether we would be offered any type of incentive having booked early, he just gave the short reply "no". At this point I gave up thinking I must have been a bit of a fool booking early, and as for the customer service; they need to up there game in how they deal with loyal customers. It may seem that I have just got a gripe because I didn't get anything, but I was only trying because a lot of people seem to be posting about how much they have got since the price drops or maybe there's a bit of porkies going on.

Next time ask to be transferred to someone in the United States. They have to and 'will' do this for you.

Thanks for that information, I was not aware they still had people in the US who could help.

If you booked through the UK, the US Office will not talk to you about your booking. However if you persist about the price drop, you should get it. I saw a price drop for a balcony and upgraded from an inside to the balcony, and I also received a credit back on my card for €140, even after final payment. I did'nt expect a refund, but I will accept.

I'm a bit confused as to who the OP called. But if the price drop was prior to final payment then it should have been no big deal. Of course if the OP lives in Guatemala, then I don't know. But to be honest, that's the risk you run in booking early. The risk you run in booking late is less desirable cabin location, possible price hikes, etc.

When someone buys a car and 4 months later the priced drops due to end of year sales does a the dealer refund money? No. Same with every other product. If you want the sale price you wait for the sale. If the sale never comes you're out of luck.

The only reason you get a price drop prior to final payment is because the cruise is fully refundable up to that day (in the U.S. that is). So you can cancel and rebook. But after final payment the refundable portion dwindles as the cruise approaches. So why should someone get OBC just for booking early?

Sorry, just my opinion. If I book a cabin I want and take it out of inventory for 6 months, why does the cruise line suddenly "owe me" because the offer last minute discounts? Should I have to pay more if the price goes up?

Just tried to speak to the customer service staff at Guatemala, the first problem is the very heavy drawl it may be OK if you are local but it is a problem for non US customers. I tried the C&A loyalty number and asked if she would like my loyalty number he reply was "I don't understand what that is" I then said well do you want my reservation number, she said "what is that" at that point I hung up and called the main help desk. I inquired regarding the price drop on our imminent cruise and whether we would be offered any type of incentive having booked early, he just gave the short reply "no". At this point I gave up thinking I must have been a bit of a fool booking early, and as for the customer service; they need to up there game in how they deal with loyal customers. It may seem that I have just got a gripe because I didn't get anything, but I was only trying because a lot of people seem to be posting about how much they have got since the price drops or maybe there's a bit of porkies going on.

+1 (305) 341-0204

Try this

It is the US number for international bookings.

Good luck

I'm just curios, where did you call where the rep had such a 'drawl' that it can't be understood by people outside the US?

Never mind. Just read it again. The whole US thing threw me off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Big_G

I read this post with different eyes than others it seems. Yes, the OP was inquiring about a possible price drop; unfortunately after the final payment date, that generally isn't done. There have been several responses in this thread regarding that.

What I find disturbing are some of the answers that the people representing Royal gave the caller. When the OP asked if they needed his loyalty # (C&A #) and was told, "I don't understand what that is" - that is a problem; all Royal employees should clearly know what that is. It isn't like the agent said "I don't need that right now". Then when the OP asked if they needed his reservation number, the reply was "What is that" -- clearly there is a lack of training/consistency of training. Everyone should know what a reservation number is?

These type of replies early in a conversation with someone who is in customer service doesn't set up the situation for a good outcome.

Just tried to speak to the customer service staff at Guatemala, the first problem is the very heavy drawl it may be OK if you are local but it is a problem for non US customers. I tried the C&A loyalty number and asked if she would like my loyalty number he reply was "I don't understand what that is" I then said well do you want my reservation number, she said "what is that" at that point I hung up and called the main help desk. I inquired regarding the price drop on our imminent cruise and whether we would be offered any type of incentive having booked early, he just gave the short reply "no". /quote]

I would be surprised if any of us in US could understand them either unless Spanish is spoken. Been there/done that. If this continues, feedback should be given to corporate headquarters because it is unacceptable that basic concepts aren't understood.

I read this post with different eyes than others it seems. Yes, the OP was inquiring about a possible price drop; unfortunately after the final payment date, that generally isn't done. There have been several responses in this thread regarding that.

What I find disturbing are some of the answers that the people representing Royal gave the caller. When the OP asked if they needed his loyalty # (C&A #) and was told, "I don't understand what that is" - that is a problem; all Royal employees should clearly know what that is. It isn't like the agent said "I don't need that right now". Then when the OP asked if they needed his reservation number, the reply was "What is that" -- clearly there is a lack of training/consistency of training. Everyone should know what a reservation number is?

These type of replies early in a conversation with someone who is in customer service doesn't set up the situation for a good outcome.

I wondered if the RCI reps didn't understand the OP's "drawl".

I wondered if the RCI reps didn't understand the OP's "drawl".

Probably didnt to be honest. Whenever I go to America no one ever seems to understand my British accent lol. So Guatemalans may struggle to understand us just as much as we might struggle to understand them

What is most surprising to me is that 1. the OP thinks that US customers should be able to better understand a Guatemalan accent than a UK customer would (and why is it a "bad" accent, exactly?) and 2. other posters have chimed in and referenced the US and Guatemala together.

Now, I know my fellow Americans are infamously bad at geography but unless I have been wholly misled Guatemala is not part of the US.

As for how they speak, and the words they use I encourage people calling them to keep in mind that it may just be a cultural difference. Saying "What is it" in response to the OP prompting if the agent wanted his booking number may not be rude to the agent within his culture.

They are still new and I am sure they struggle to understand you, too. Be kind to them and try not to take out your frustrations with Royal's decision on these folks. They are just doing their job.

I had a similar experience with Crown & Anchor yesterday :mad: except I had no trouble with the accent, in fact the people I spoke to both seemed to have American accents but they were no more helpful.

My question was around the BOGO 50% offer currently available in the US. I had contacted a TA in the US and asked if we were eligible for the offer if we booked through them - the answer was no, it's only open to US & Canadian residents. The reason we are always given for not having the great deals available in the US is that UK cruisers have "extra protection" when they book in the UK - obviously this begs the question if I am willing to miss out on the "extra protection" and book with an American TA why can't I do this and take advantage of the offers? I phoned Crown & Anchor to ask that question and was told that they can't access the Terms & Conditions for US bookings!!! I was then told that some TA's in the UK use the American booking system and I could book it through them.............but they couldn't tell me which TA's they were, they suggested that I google "travel agents in the UK using RCLL American booking system" - yes, they really did suggest that! I then spoke to a supervisor who gave exactly the same responses and who proudly told me that the Google suggestion had been his :confused: All in all it wasn't a great experience. This leaves me with another question - do I really want to pay RCI for a cruise when I know that the same cruise is available in the US & Canada for £800 less?

Sorry for the rant! I don't begrudge anybody a great deal - but surely we should all be treated the same?

Gill

Now, I know my fellow Americans are infamously bad at geography but unless I have been wholly misled Guatemala is not part of the US.

Curious as to which one of us gave you the impression that Guatemala is part of the U.S. I think we America Citizens all remember our geography lessons from way back. Especially if some of us loves to travel by car to different states.

Edited by lady_cruiser

In my job, I have spoken with computer Help Desks in India, Mexico and the Philippines. Initially, this was hard going, but we got more used to their accents and they got more used to ours. The Philippines has been the easiest. I try to remember that I am speaking to someone who is working all night in order to be there during the US workday.

It helps to not give up and keep rephrasing things. Also, if it seems hopeless, as it did in this case, then end the call and call back. You will get someone else and it might go better. Lack of understanding what you want is often a language issue rather than a knowledge issue. Their English will get better in time. I also remember that I do not speak their language in most cases and they are speaking my language.

Outsourcing customer service jobs to a country where labor is cheap is not going away, unfortunately. I sympathize with the OP, though.

What is most surprising to me is that 1. the OP thinks that US customers should be able to better understand a Guatemalan accent than a UK customer would (and why is it a "bad" accent, exactly?) and 2. other posters have chimed in and referenced the US and Guatemala together.

As for how they speak, and the words they use I encourage people calling them to keep in mind that it may just be a cultural difference. Saying "What is it" in response to the OP prompting if the agent wanted his booking number may not be rude to the agent within his culture.

They are still new and I am sure they struggle to understand you, too. Be kind to them and try not to take out your frustrations with Royal's decision on these folks. They are just doing their job.

My own experience has been that the people I have spoken to in Central America have been very polite and friendly in their manner and I have been able to understand the words they say, but not their reasoning. The biggest problem I have is that they over promise and under deliver. They talk a good game - then nothing.

I have been told several times that something will be done, and it hasn't. Call backs don't materialise when promised, and it is very frustrating. I've decided to give up. I can't be bothered trying any more.

The people I spoke to did say that they have a huge backlog of UK customer problems to deal with, so it must be frustrating for them too. Not my problem though. RCI management have to sort this mess out! :mad:

I'm a bit confused as to who the OP called. But if the price drop was prior to final payment then it should have been no big deal. Of course if the OP lives in Guatemala, then I don't know. But to be honest, that's the risk you run in booking early. The risk you run in booking late is less desirable cabin location, possible price hikes, etc.

When someone buys a car and 4 months later the priced drops due to end of year sales does a the dealer refund money? No. Same with every other product. If you want the sale price you wait for the sale. If the sale never comes you're out of luck.

The only reason you get a price drop prior to final payment is because the cruise is fully refundable up to that day (in the U.S. that is). So you can cancel and rebook. But after final payment the refundable portion dwindles as the cruise approaches. So why should someone get OBC just for booking early?

Sorry, just my opinion. If I book a cabin I want and take it out of inventory for 6He isc months, why does the cruise line suddenly "owe me" because the offer last minute discounts? Should I have to pay more if the price goes up?

He is calling from Southport, in England. Customer service for the UK was

outsourced to Guatemala a few months ago, hence the difficulty with that

customer service agent's accent.... maybe they have been taught English with an American accent, makes it confusing for someone who speaks English English.

I had a similar experience with Crown & Anchor yesterday :mad: except I had no trouble with the accent, in fact the people I spoke to both seemed to have American accents but they were no more helpful.

My question was around the BOGO 50% offer currently available in the US. I had contacted a TA in the US and asked if we were eligible for the offer if we booked through them - the answer was no, it's only open to US & Canadian residents. The reason we are always given for not having the great deals available in the US is that UK cruisers have "extra protection" when they book in the UK - obviously this begs the question if I am willing to miss out on the "extra protection" and book with an American TA why can't I do this and take advantage of the offers? I phoned Crown & Anchor to ask that question and was told that they can't access the Terms & Conditions for US bookings!!! I was then told that some TA's in the UK use the American booking system and I could book it through them.............but they couldn't tell me which TA's they were, they suggested that I google "travel agents in the UK using RCLL American booking system" - yes, they really did suggest that! I then spoke to a supervisor who gave exactly the same responses and who proudly told me that the Google suggestion had been his :confused: All in all it wasn't a great experience. This leaves me with another question - do I really want to pay RCI for a cruise when I know that the same cruise is available in the US & Canada for £800 less?

Sorry for the rant! I don't begrudge anybody a great deal - but surely we should all be treated the same?

Gill

I can't post the name of it but maybe if you visited a British Cruise enthusiast site you would find several members who use a US agent all the time with no problem... :)

Once we have reach the final payment date, I stop looking at our cruise pricing. It doesn't matter if it goes down you can't get the lower price. But look on the bright side. You will be sailing in about 7 weeks. You have the cruise paid for at the price you were comfortable with at the time you booked.

Sit back and relax. Start planning your vacation.

Gill

It isn't allowed because when they have allowed this in the past, people from the UK and EU have sued to get their protections back and the lawyers have suggested the courts would side with these people as the mailing address on file would be one in the UK or EU and therefore Royal should have known.

It would be nice if we were all treated the same, but we aren't. You are treated far better than most if anything goes wrong (even if its not the cruiseline's fault) and that directly plays into promotions because it directly plays into the bottom line.

Seems to me that a Guatemalan who speaks English as a second language would do so with a Spanish accent, not a American southern drawl!:confused:

(trying to 'hear' in my head the Spanish accented pronunciation of 'ya'll'…)

But the point would be that the OP and the phone rep were not communicating well, and that's very frustrating. Maybe the best recourse would be to ask to speak to a supervisor and try for a better fit with the communication??

Judy

Once we have reach the final payment date, I stop looking at our cruise pricing. It doesn't matter if it goes down you can't get the lower price. But look on the bright side. You will be sailing in about 7 weeks. You have the cruise paid for at the price you were comfortable with at the time you booked.

Sit back and relax. Start planning your vacation.

You can't get the price drop, but you may be able to upgrade cabins for little to no cost.

Seems to me that a Guatemalan who speaks English as a second language would do so with a Spanish accent, not a American southern drawl!:confused:

(trying to 'hear' in my head the Spanish accented pronunciation of 'ya'll'…)

But the point would be that the OP and the phone rep were not communicating well, and that's very frustrating. Maybe the best recourse would be to ask to speak to a supervisor and try for a better fit with the communication??

Judy

It is very strange, it is like a very fake US accent; just think of Dick Van Dyke speaking cockney in Mary Poppins and you will get the idea. They also come on with fake English names and you just know they will have a Spanish name. But then hi y'll my name's Pedro doesn't have the same ring as peter.