BOGOHO rates are on the rise....

So If I understand this correctly, the BOGOHA is in effect until 5/31 BUT the base price for the cabin pp seems to be adjusting often thus changing the amount of savings actually realized. Those who booked early on the most popular ships seem to have gotten the best deals as those are the same ships that are seeing the increase in the base price.

So If I understand this correctly, the BOGOHA is in effect until 5/31 BUT the base price for the cabin pp seems to be adjusting often thus changing the amount of savings actually realized. Those who booked early on the most popular ships seem to have gotten the best deals as those are the same ships that are seeing the increase in the base price.

Yes, this seems to be the case. My Oasis cruise has gone up $600+ since I booked on day 1 of this sale, and my Liberty cruise has gone up $500+. My 2016 Freedom cruise, however, has remained the same since day 1 of the BOGOHO sale. Supply and demand at it's finest. :rolleyes:

I (like ALOT of folks evidently) thought the prices as published on May 1 were to be the prices thru the month of May but obviously not so. In RCCL defense, nowhere did it say that was the case. Regardless, glad we booked right away as the price for our sailing on Independence has been changing almost daily.

Edited by MamaTene

Are you saying that you think they'll let you keep BOGOHO AND then also add a residency discount on top of it later on?

:

Could be, as you can see with this promotion anything can happen. I've seen it happen before with other promotions

I have not seen any prices that were incorrectly updated. I have looked at a lot of cruises. So far, what I have seen is that a lot of people are getting to the cabin selection page and seeing the correct cost pp, which will be higher than the initial price shown, with the discount shown below in ( )

The first page prices, per person, are an average of the actual price and the half-off second price. So you will see a price of $1500pp initially, then the next page will show you $2000 pp, but they take $1000 off the second person. So the price they are showing you on the first page is the average price pp, in terms of the bogoho. 2000 + 1000 = 3000/2 people = 1500.

It's confusing.

Thank you marci22. We were confused as well. Just got off the phone after speaking to an RCI representative trying to explain the BOGOHO prices...is actually an "average". We were about to book a B2B, 30-day total, cruises, Australia/NZ, and after she quoted as the price...there wasn't really any savings based on the price showing on their website.

Bottom line...I said: If a sale states "buy one, get the second one half off"...wouldn't that mean that if something is priced at $10, then the second one should be $5?...correct?"............the RCI representative said: "Sorry, I've had to explain this to other callers and even had to ask a supervisor...but Royal should have advertised it better...the price you are seeing online is really the "average" of the two prices with the half-off discount already deducted...sorry."

Yes, it was confusing. Can someone who understand this, kindly explain it...or at least make an attempt. Thanks. :confused:

Edited by bonsai3s

Thank you marci22. We were confused as well. Just got off the phone after speaking to an RCI representative trying to explain the BOGOHO prices...is actually an "average". We were about to book a B2B, 30-day total, cruises, Australia/NZ, and after she quoted as the price...there wasn't really any savings based on the price showing on their website.

Bottom line...I said: If a sale states "buy one, get the second one half off"...wouldn't that mean that if something is priced at $10, then the second one should be $5?...correct?"............the RCI representative said: "Sorry, I've had to explain this to other callers and even had to ask a supervisor...but Royal should have advertised it better...the price you are seeing online is really the "average" of the two prices with the half-off discount already deducted...sorry."

Yes, it was confusing. Can someone who understand this, kindly explain it...or at least make an attempt. Thanks. :confused:

I really can not understand how anyone could be confused. The prices shown on the initial cabin price screen has the 50% off the 2nd person factored in. If you select a cabin and then click on the 'View Summary of Charges' (right side of screen under the yellow block showing total price), it shows the details very clearly.

That pretty much explains it best. Folks probably want to see the full price for the first person in the cabin displayed and THEN the half price amount shown for the second person. Regardless, it comes out the same cost wise.

Edited by MamaTene

As an example:

Price shown is $1500 per person on that first screen.

You select your cabin type, and you get to the second screen, and now it shows $2000 per person.

Click on the price breakdown area shown at right. You will see 1st person as $2000, 2nd person as $2000, then if you look a couple lines below, you will see the 'discount' of $1000 on the 2nd person in parentheses. So 2000 + (2000 -1000) = 3000/ 2 people is $1500 per person.

So that first price you see when you are choosing a room category is the 'average price' per person.

Edited by marci22

I really can not understand how anyone could be confused. The prices shown on the initial cabin price screen has the 50% off the 2nd person factored in. If you select a cabin and then click on the 'View Summary of Charges' (right side of screen under the yellow block showing total price), it shows the details very clearly.

Because you are shown a lower price first. You automatically assume that the 2nd person's 'half off' will be half off of that price. But it isn't.

It is actually half off the price that is shown later in the booking process, which is higher than the average price shown on the first page.

Who does that? Who runs a BOGOHO sale and puts the 'average price' first.

So it is confusing the first time you go through it.

Yes, I understand that this is the current situation. However I have had this same situation with other cruises and the senior and residency rates have been included as we approached final payment. Just something that I will watch but you can ignore it if you wish.

No need to get testy. Just quoting you the terms and conditions. Some may have found it helpful.

I am slightly annoyed because I couldn't stay on hold for an hour first thing in the morning on May 1, which was a work day. I don't think work appreciates me tying up the phone line trying to get a vacation cruise price adjustment, while they are paying me.

By noon, west coast time, the price had already increased significantly, and the savings had decreased correspondingly. But I spent my lunch time on hold again, and I watched the price increase even further during that time....at which point, I decided that it wasn't worth it to try and re-price the cruise.

I haven't "missed" not having a travel agent for many years, but it would have been helpful for this so-called "sale". . :rolleyes::)

Edited by Coralc

edjny...you are much smarter than I am but thanks.

That pretty much explains it best. Folks probably want to see the full price for the first person in the cabin displayed and THEN the half price amount shown for the second person. Regardless, it comes out the same cost wise.

MamaTene...yes, agree on the first part of your response. Disagree with your second statement. "Regardless, it comes out the same cost wise".....now, now, if I advertised clearly that the price of a cruise is $1000, what should people expect the 50% off the second passenger be?

Because you are shown a lower price first. You automatically assume that the 2nd person's 'half off' will be half off of that price. But it isn't.

It is actually half off the price that is shown later in the booking process, which is higher than the average price shown on the first page.

Who does that? Who runs a BOGOHO sale and puts the 'average price' first.

So it is confusing the first time you go through it.

Exactly. Thanks again marci22. :)

Perhaps I should add that the RCI representative that I spoke to this morning was extremely apologetic with the "confusion" about the pricing. She repeatedly stated that the prices listed on the RCI website should have been the "regular" price and not the "averaged" price.

Note: We see these same BOGOHO sales at outlet malls quite frequently. For example, at a shoe store: "Buy a pair, get the second pair half off". When it's time to pay for the shoes, I pay full price for the first pair then get half off the second pair....simple.

Why in the world would RCI advertise a price on it's website, then when I call...tell me: "Oh, that price is an "average" for the two passengers...the half-off was already deducted". :confused:

I am slightly annoyed because I couldn't stay on hold for an hour first thing in the morning on May 1, which was a work day. I don't think work appreciates me tying up the phone line trying to get a vacation cruise price adjustment, while they are paying me.

By noon, west coast time, the price had already increased significantly, and the savings had decreased correspondingly. But I spent my lunch time on hold again, and I watched the price increase even further during that time....at which point, I decided that it wasn't worth it to try and re-price the cruise.

I haven't "missed" not having a travel agent for many years, but it would have been helpful for this so-called "sale". . :rolleyes::)

I know exactly how you feel. I could not call from work on the 2nd until the lunch hour either. Then while I was on hold with RCCL, the price went up. After getting the agent, they looked at their screen for the price and saw what I saw on my screen. By the time the agent went through their whole process of confirming my address, Crown and Anchor number, e-mail address, dining preferences, etc., etc., etc....the rate had increased another $60 per person. If they had grabbed the three rooms I had asked for and they had seen the rates for already, I would not have had to pay the extra $360 for our family of six. Why can they not ask all those annoying questions AFTER they have the price locked in?

One of the first things I do in the morning is check the prices for the cruises I have booked. I did not know about the BOGOHO until I looked on May 1st about 8:00am EDT. After a quick check on Cruise Critic, I found out that they were applying it to current bookings. I got on the phone and waited 40 minutes to save over $4000 on 5 cruises in 2015/2016. When I was waiting on the phone, it would have been about 5:30am your time. There were a LOT of people calling and the reps were taking a lot of time with each of us. I was on the phone talking to the rep for at least 20 minutes getting the new prices set up.

I called my son to let him know about the deal and he waited about 30 minutes at about noon the same day to get his discount.

It was only later when I read the various posts on CC about the promotion and saw that the info was posted initially on April 30th. If I had known that I would have gotten up earlier in an attempt to beat the rush....

As the old saying goes.... The early bird gets the worm.... :)

Note: We see these same BOGOHO sales at outlet malls quite frequently. For example, at a shoe store: "Buy a pair, get the second pair half off". When it's time to pay for the shoes, I pay full price for the first pair then get half off the second pair....simple.

Why in the world would RCI advertise a price on it's website, then when I call...tell me: "Oh, that price is an "average" for the two passengers...the half-off was already deducted". :confused:

I suspect that it was some marketing guy who dreamed up the idea of posting the combined "lower" price. They probably thought the lower price shown on the initial screen would attract attention better than some separate note telling you about the promotion. From a marketing point of view, it was probably a good idea. From the customer confusion point of view, not such a good idea....

I suspect that it was some marketing guy who dreamed up the idea of posting the combined "lower" price. They probably thought the lower price shown on the initial screen would attract attention better than some separate note telling you about the promotion. From a marketing point of view, it was probably a good idea. From the customer confusion point of view, not such a good idea....

So the pricing situation gets worse if you're an Aussie! Do a search on the dotcomdotau site and you get a "from $1000pp" with the BOGOHO Sale (But it is UP TO 50% OFF). You click through into the booking to find out that the price is $2000 for the first passenger and $1000 for the second passenger + taxes :eek: It doesn't seem to be happening for all sailings but certainly a couple of the ones I was interested in booking. It's also interesting because I'm pretty sure it's law in Australia that all advertised prices must include all taxes (tips can still be added later). I won't be making any formal complaint but for those of you who think it's confusing - I agree and I think we've got it worse! :o

Exactly. Thanks again marci22. :)

Perhaps I should add that the RCI representative that I spoke to this morning was extremely apologetic with the "confusion" about the pricing. She repeatedly stated that the prices listed on the RCI website should have been the "regular" price and not the "averaged" price.

Totally agree with you!!

Maybe after all this confusion the IT dept will make it simpler...:rolleyes:

For checking prices now it is very confusing. Requires logging in and going through the dummy process for them and we right now have a Few booked!!:eek:

Saved a nice total amount on our bookings on some and others we did better booking early. Also, we booked some more with the BOGOHO, so it has been OK but could be easier to figure out!

Yup. My wife and I checked prices last week and decided to book last night. It was a rude surprise when I saw total price for a 5 night cruise on Brilliance went from $950 to $1300 this week! :mad:

It's unfortunate. I knew it was a great deal, should have jumped on it sooner.

Wow. These are some big increases. The Oasis cruise I booked went up some, but no where near $800 or more. I guess it depends on the category booked. There are fewer OS so that's understandable. All I know is I hate paying even $1 more than I have to so I'm glad I learned a valuable lesson long ago. When you see a price you're happy with for any feature of travel, book it!

I was travelling the first couple of days in May, so by the time I got on to the boards and saw that we could take advantage of BOGOHO on previously booked cruises, it was the 4th.

I checked our cruise prices and found I could save app. $1700, so got right on with our TA by email. No response all day. Next day he quoted prices and the savings were down to less than $1200. He had been out of the office the previous day. If I had known that Royal was going to jerk the prices around, I would have contacted someone else in the TA's office on the 4th and had them jump on it right away. Lesson learned for next time.

As to the pricing, and how it was presented, not good......too much different wording - average price, single price, half off..... leaving everybody confused.

Sheila

I know exactly how you feel. I could not call from work on the 2nd until the lunch hour either. Then while I was on hold with RCCL, the price went up. After getting the agent, they looked at their screen for the price and saw what I saw on my screen. By the time the agent went through their whole process of confirming my address, Crown and Anchor number, e-mail address, dining preferences, etc., etc., etc....the rate had increased another $60 per person. If they had grabbed the three rooms I had asked for and they had seen the rates for already, I would not have had to pay the extra $360 for our family of six. Why can they not ask all those annoying questions AFTER they have the price locked in?

Yikes -- this would have so annoyed me that I wouldn't have gone.